RTH: How to get the bolt out of the tie rod to steering dampener (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
Currently working on replacing all my tie rod ends, and didn’t realize this didn’t come out or it wasn’t a bolt that went through. How can I get it out?

EBCDE080-BF5B-453C-BE74-2ED54A324151.jpeg

B7DCC6E7-DD17-41E6-BCAE-403A618B464B.jpeg

the bolt has a tapered end, i think i use a ball joint puller or pound it out with a hammer...

It’s not threaded there it has a shoulder. Use a brass hammer and knock it out or you could put a nut on the end and pound that.
Welp... but the wrong nut on there and ****ed the threads... So now I'm really screwed lol. Live and learn I guess.
3 replies in a minute this site is the best!
Couldn't agree more!

You can clean threads up with a die! Maybe I have in the past on smaller stuff never anything that big. Did you get it loose?

Hi OP, I just had the same problem with a TRE nub on the control arm. I broke 2 joint separators, tried 3 jaw puller, sledge hammering, mapp, welding for heat over about two weeks time, and I have all kinds of fluids in my garage...What worked was the 30 ton press at the machine shop for 20$ and 5 minutes.

Absolutely not.
A little anti sieze on the tapered pin that the steering stabilizer mount interference fits to the TRE is fine.
I changed my relay rod TREnds a few weeks back and had used ASieze when I installed the OME Stabilizer to original relay rod TRE's back in 99'. It was still tight but a little coercion and it came out and went into the new REnd fine
Anti sieze on the TRE where they go into the steering arms is a definite no no.

Last edited:
Hi OP, I just had the same problem with a TRE nub on the control arm. I broke 2 joint separators, tried 3 jaw puller, sledge hammering, mapp, welding for heat over about two weeks time, and I have all kinds of fluids in my garage...What worked was the 30 ton press at the machine shop for 20$ and 5 minutes.
Probably the route I’m going to take. How do you guys think I can save the threads? Since I used the wrong bolt on it when hammering… 😅

Probably the route I’m going to take. How do you guys think I can save the threads? Since I used the wrong bolt on it when hammering… 😅
I would get a correct sized die and run down the threads, making damn sure I was going on straight so I catch the correct threads when I get there.

Did you ever actually get it out?

If not, place a nut on BOTH ends of the threaded ends and screw on so it's flush with the end of the threads.
Clamp the tapered stud in the vice lengthwise so the nut on each end are inside the jaws of the vice.
Set the TRE so it is "horizontal" with the thickest part at the top so you an get to it with a hammer.

Hit the TRE part and drive it away from the tapered stud.

This works because you re stretching the hole on the TRE and not compressing the tapered stud into the hole during the hit. On most TRE's, you should hit the ARM and not the TRE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom