Will a Rear adjustable Panhard rod Fix Thrust Angle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got an alignment because my '94 fj80 has been pulling to the left consistently for a while - it gets really bad with hard braking or accelerating.

I have a 75mm slinky lift with a 3" Delta rear panhard lift bracket bracket using the stock panhard bar. I just put new rear Landtank UCA and LCAs but now I'm also wondering if I should have gotten adjustable ones.

Front Delta 3" radius arms (but my castor looks off?)

Given the numbers below, will an adjustable rear panhard rod be the ticket to correct my thrust angle (assuming that's the cause for pulling to the left like I was told by the shop that did the alignment) OR do I need adjustable control arms to pull the thrust angle back?

Anything else that you see off with these numbers that I should be aware of? I know there are numerous random threads on alignment, they probably exist, but I did really see anything that directly addresses thrust angle with panhard. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.39.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.40.08 PM.png

Last edited:
Did you install the arms before or after your alignment?

These....just put them on before the alignment check, honestly pretty disappointed that they didnt put me back into that 2-4degree range.

20220519_171837.jpg

Last edited:
Your caster is not correct, those arms did not provide enough caster sure you got arms for 3 inch lift? Should hit between two and four as indicated. With four inch lift on mine I got 2.1 with caster plates from slee, and 4 something with slee arms.
The upper and lower rear control arms are for pinion angle.
The rear panhard will center the axle left to right, measure from your frame and see how centered you are

Your caster is not correct, those arms did not provide enough caster sure you got arms for 3 inch lift? Should hit between two and four as indicated. With four inch lift on mine I got 2.1 with caster plates from slee, and 4 something with slee arms.
The upper and lower rear control arms are for pinion angle.
The rear panhard will center the axle left to right, measure from your frame and see how centered you are
yeah, those arms even have 3" printed on them :bang:. So getting an adjustable rear Panhard should fix the thrust angle since the thrust angle is the measurement of side to side movement on the rear axle...correct?

The Panhard is only left/right position, as mentioned above.
Rear toe should be zero. Where is the reference for zero on the readings from the shop?
One is positive and one is negative, if related to the c'line and the front of the truck does that mean they are \-----/ splayed out or splayed in /----\ or /----/??
Thrust angle is the direction the axel is pointed in relation to the vehicle. If off, the vehicle looks like a hound dog with its a$$ end trying to pass the front.
1661443534433.png

Adjustable control arms will let you dial this in, be sure not to cock up the pinion flange angle while making this adjustment.

Last edited:
There is no point in throwing $$$$ at parts to fix a "pull to the left" until the caster is dialed in.

Once the caster is correct than worry about the other stuff. Fix one thing at a time to better quantify what changes do what to the vehicle.

Maybe @Delta VS has some input because it seems like your caster is way off with those arms.

1) What is your ACTUAL lift? Measured from the flare or fender to the center of the hub.

2) How are your front and rear axles aligned side to side? You front axle shifts to one side with a lift just like the rear axle does.

If I remember correctly, the front and rear panhards attach to opposite sides of the frame front and rear, on LHD 80s. This would exacerbate "thrust angle" with a lift. I think they attach on the same side on RHD 80s.

Also, the FSM specifies 1° camber. Any chance your wheel bearings are loose or your axle is bent?

Toyota-94LCFSM-FrontWheelAlignment.png

Also, the FSM specifies 1° camber. Any chance your wheel bearings are loose or your axle is bent?

He's got all kinds of weird measurements, maybe the alignment rack and or tech he used was incorrect....

1) What is your ACTUAL lift? Measured from the flare or fender to the center of the hub.

2) How are your front and rear axles aligned side to side? You front axle shifts to one side with a lift just like the rear axle does.

If I remember correctly, the front and rear panhards attach to opposite sides of the frame front and rear, on LHD 80s. This would exacerbate "thrust angle" with a lift. I think they attach on the same side on RHD 80s.

View attachment 3096711
This is very handy

Also, the FSM specifies 1° camber. Any chance your wheel bearings are loose or your axle is be

So, the slinky 75mm springs seem to have lifted me a proper 4" - center wheel to fender is 25.25" front and 25.75" rear.... This makes sense that my thrust angle is off with employing a 3" bracket and that my castor is off by using 3" arms...or am I over-simplifying?

Not certain that my wheel bearings are not loose, but pretty sure my axle is not bent. I have not noticed play in the wheels when off the ground... but I havent checked specifically for it. Wow, camber is supposed to be 1 and not 0deg?..that is strange indeed

To be honest, I wouldn’t worry about thrust angle when you have a 4” lift and stock rear suspension geometry. There’s going to be a lot of quirkiness that’s far more bothersome when your link angles are that steep. Dial in a little more caster with your preferred method and keep truckin.

To be honest, I wouldn’t worry about thrust angle when you have a 4” lift and stock rear suspension geometry. There’s going to be a lot of quirkiness that’s far more bothersome when your link angles are that steep. Dial in a little more caster with your preferred method and keep truckin.
Looks like my Delta 3" arms with only 4k miles on them might be hitting the open market soon ;)

Stock measurement is roughly 20”, so sounds Ike you are at 5”+ lift, not 4”

For comparison, my OME J lift (rear) in my unloaded truck has me at about 4.5” or so, as opposed to advertised 3.5” with intended load.

Someone certainly please correct me if I’m wrong, but roughly 20” stock seems to be general consensus

Last edited:
So, the slinky 75mm springs seem to have lifted me a proper 4" - center wheel to fender is 25.25" front and 25.75" rear.... This makes sense that my thrust angle is off with employing a 3" bracket and that my castor is off by using 3" arms...or am I over-simplifying?

Not certain that my wheel bearings are not loose, but pretty sure my axle is not bent. I have not noticed play in the wheels when off the ground... but I havent checked specifically for it. Wow, camber is supposed to be 1 and not 0deg?..that is strange indeed
You don't have a thrust angle problem your castor will make you pull, and you have none, get the 6" Deltas and then go from there, don't throw parts at your rig to solve the problem, when it is a simple castor problem I have the same springs and about the same height in my lift I have Delta 6" and great castor

You don't have a thrust angle problem your castor will make you pull, and you have none, get the 6" Deltas and then go from there, don't throw parts at your rig to solve the problem, when it is a simple castor problem I have the same springs and about the same height in my lift I have Delta 6" and great castor
Thank you! The last thing i want to do is throw parts at a problem i dont fully grasp. But im an idiot taking 75mm springs at face value and just assuming they were 3". Super good to know you have the same springs and are rocking 6" of castor correction. That really tracks with what everyone is saying here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom