ScrappyJackalope 2nd gen 4runner Dana 44 sas build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi folks, Sad update.. I ditched the Total Chaos long travel. Total Chaos refunded me after me pointing out there design and quality issues. I did no less than 10 alignments trying different settings to get it to be not dangerous on the road. Basically the uniballs are way too tight (according to TC)and I have no plans putting 10,000 miles driving a dangerous rig on the highway until they break in. Also the UCA design and bushings being used are completely wrong for smooth suspension movement. I don't want to sit here and just bash them but I can not recommend their long travel for the 86 to 95 ifs toyota 4wd.

I was really looking forward to having a really plush, wider killer IFS set up. But it was the opposite. I invested countless hrs trying to get it to work and just be safe on the highway but I had to stop the bleeding. Sad I cut apart my inner fender wells on this beautiful 4runner only to yank it back out..

Anyways I am going back to what I know works which is a solid axle. So now for the custom 44 build to watch here.

Not all bad news though. Even though my 22re is fairly fresh and runs great I had the opportunity to get with Jim at 22re performance and I will be running this beautiful specimen until I do the 1uz swap next year..

Pics below of how my rig sits now, the 22re gold and the dana 44 I am starting with

20220723_103422.jpg
20220727_205030.jpg
20220722_124931.jpg

Sucks about the Total Chaos setup.

Love that 22REperformance motor. I've got a head and other bits from him to go on a Toyota short block for my little truck o e of these days. Those blue billet parts are sexy. I might need one of those oil caps.

Out of curiosity, why the d44 vs a mini-truck axle. Regardless following along for the ride.

"Out of curiosity, why the d44 vs a mini-truck axle. "

I really like the Dana 44 and have built a bunch over the years, having great luck with up to 37's. I like being able to easily build the housing the width I want. I hate wheel spacers too, keeping the wheel center close to the steering pivot keeps everything happy. I also like the steering angle you can achieve with the dana open knuckle.

The 44 housing is also very very strong, throw a set of chromos and CTM's in it and the axle will hold up to big tires and decent weight..

There are some great aftermarket fabbed
Housings out there for the toyota axle and I considered them but heck I have $125 into this complete dana 44 so i will save just there alone a couple grand more than likely not counting my labor. I would have went diamond if I went toyota housing and we know what they cost. :D

I like the toyota stuff too and with Longfeild showing us a birf can be strong they are awesome but the 44 is a fave of mine 😀

I have built stock toyota housings wider as well but in the end it is a lot of work and the sheet metal housing really pull when you weld on them.
Check out a build thread I had on pirate many years ago building a wider toyota housing.

Well I got a new axle stand built out of the rustiest scrap I had laying around 😆

Decided on 62" for width of front end. Ordered chromo axles and chromo ujoints today, Hope to cut it tomorrow. The chevy housing is a 67.5" wms to wms. I will take 4" off long side and 1.5" off short. This leaves me with 2 stock axle lengths and a 29" (toyota) spring pad width. This uses a 80s wagoneer long side shaft and a dodge truck short.. so finding stock axles is relatively easy as well as after market chromos..

20220731_173306.jpg

I dig those jack stands!

Got the C's cut off, ball joints pressed out of knuckles. Ready for some machining of the flat top pass knuckle

20220803_093214.jpg
20220803_093341.jpg
20220803_092544.jpg

Knuckles blasted ready for machining
20220803_195823.jpg

C's blasted and trimmed excess tube, ready to press tube pieces out would have done tonight bad had to make dinner..haha

20220803_200015.jpg

Well I made some progress on the Dana 44 this weekend. Got it all put back together and welded. Next I need to clean it out inside then get to setting up the 4.88 gears and eaton elocker.

C ground out needing tube peice pressed out
20220812_115841.jpg

One C on. Has to heat to 400* to get it to grow enough to get back on the tube.. rotated 12* to get pinion pointing where I want and retain proper caster

20220813_183445.jpg

20220813_183434.jpg

Pad welded back on for toyota spring pad width
20220814_112550.jpg

Welding the C's
20220814_144611.jpg

I wish my welds were that pretty. :beer:

Looking good!

Sorry for jumping ahead but have you decided on a rear yet?
Staying toyota I am sure. I will see how low I can keep the SAS for now and potentially keep it on the stock coils with these 2 inch springs. But right now with the 1.75" spacers per side it is exactly 62" in the rear just like the front is now. In the end it may end up being a Fabricated housing like a diamond or similar but keep a toyota third either way.

Made a little progress on the axle housing over the weekend. I scrubbed it up with the simple green, Installed the axle seals and made some dummy bearings to get me into the set up department :) Hopefully I will actually get it button up for a gear and elocker standpoint this weekend.

Simple green time
20220820_193703.jpg

Axle seals installed. Added a tad of ultrablack to ensure a good seal
20220821_185924.jpg

some of the goodies
20220821_133934.jpg

Eaton elocker for beginning stages of set up :)
20220821_200844.jpg

That's looking pretty sweet. I need to build me one of those axle stands. I have a D60 I need to rebuild for my OBS F250. I'm slowly acquiring parts to swap out the TTB D50.

Do you have the inner axle seal install tool? If not, what do you use to install those?

That's looking pretty sweet. I need to build me one of those axle stands. I have a D60 I need to rebuild for my OBS F250. I'm slowly acquiring parts to swap out the TTB D50.

Do you have the inner axle seal install tool? If not, what do you use to install those?
The stand makes it so much easier to work on. Had a much better stand when I used to do these more often. Must have in my book. No leaning over killing your back and super easy to spin at different angles.

I did pick up the tool this time and it worked slick as could be. Before this axle though I used to use a large diameter socket I have and short swings of a hammer. Highly recommend tool for under $20 though. Didn't swear once pushing these in 😀

20220823_191520.jpg

Here is my latest update on the Dana 44. I am wrapping up my gear install with my set up bearings.

I may add .02 again at final bearing install. I had put in some extra and it seemed to get too deep quick. So I will see. :)

20220828_122503.jpg

Passenger side Knuckle milled and drilled, Arm is beefy. Also pressed in ball joints and started painting everything with POR15. Love that stuff.
20220827_115704.jpg

20220827_115752.jpg

Last edited:
Had to take a few weeks off. Life got in the way. But I got my 4340 axles and super joints pressed together. Did a final set up of the gears and put my shackle tubes in the frame. Hopefully this weekend I have springs hung on frame :) I am starting to see the light at the end of the sas tunnel..haha
20220910_154635.jpg
20220912_173612.jpg
20220914_215605.jpg

So you're doing leafs up front? I guess I thought you were linking it with the coilovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom