Tailgate/Liftgate alignment challenge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

86aggie

SILVER Star
Threads
The driver side, side edge of my liftgate is not flush with the rear face of the D pillar.
I can see that the part on the liftgate side that is supposed to hit the 'stopper' (white plastic wedge on spring, with black rubber button), is not touching the white plastic when closed. I have moved the lock plate on the tailgate as far forward as possible. If I lower the tailgate and close the liftgate, the liftgate is flush on both sides. I believe that indicates that the position of the hinge bolts on the liftgate don't need to be adjusted. The face of the tailgate is flush with the face of the taillight lenses on both sides, when it is closed.

What else can I adjust to pull the driver side of the liftgate to be flush with the D pillar?

Following. I have the same exact scenario. Honestly I haven't dug into adjustments much, but hopefully somebody who's been here before will chime in with some tricks.

Loosen everything, while allowing them to maintain their position. Loose but snug.
Hard to explain, I also loosened the upper and lower hinges. Sort of closed it all together
without the latching mechanism working. i just kinda pushed it all around by brute force.
I had the same issue after paint. I’d removed and sand blasted and painted the hinges too.
I sympathize. It was a struggle to get mine all good.

When you reference the latch not working - was that the issue you had? I'm thinking that the latch has to be engaged to see if both gates are aligned properly, right?

I didn’t want it to latch while I was adjusting it. Can’t remember what I did, just easier without
it having to push button to open while adjusting it.

I have the same issue, began when I replaced the liftgate with a replacement, less rusted/repaired/repainted. Then the rear wiper only worked intermittently, due to the ground path being incomplete (through the latch at sides). Now I have less hair than before. :lol:

Perhaps loosening the top hinges, more so on the upper right, then retightening with the upper right hinge being further out, to bring lower left in?
🤷‍♂️

I have the same issue, began when I replaced the liftgate with a replacement, less rusted/repaired/repainted. Then the rear wiper only worked intermittently, due to the ground path being incomplete (through the latch at sides). Now I have less hair than before. :lol:

Perhaps loosening the top hinges, more so on the upper right, then retightening with the upper right hinge being further out, to bring lower left in?
🤷‍♂️
I think that is what cruiserpilot was suggesting - loosen the nuts on the body side of the liftgate hinge slightly, so it still takes a little oomph to move the liftgate, but should hold the hinge position after you align the liftgate, after which you gently raise liftgate and tighten the nuts. I could see it taking a couple of cycles.

I think that is what cruiserpilot was suggesting - loosen the nuts on the body side of the liftgate hinge slightly, so it still takes a little oomph to move the liftgate, but should hold the hinge position after you align the liftgate, after which you gently raise liftgate and tighten the nuts. I could see it taking a couple of cycles.
Gently raise liftgate is right, ! I would not loosen the tailgate hinges tho.
Having another set of hands, even use slight prying pressure in the gap while closed? And then raise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom