Broken rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I broke my driver side rear axle about 8 inches in, the rest is stuck in the carrier. I cant get to it as you can imagine its a tight squeeze. I'm thinking JB weld a piece on and pull. I cant pull the 3rd member without getting out. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Strong magnet on a brush handle has been known to work. JB Weld would likely do the job.

If all else fails, remove the whole axle and just tip the broken piece out. It's not a huge job to remove the axle, 7 bolts, the brake pipe and hand brake cable.

Is it the short side? If so you could have the classic twisted splines issue and an axle that won’t come out. You need to cut the axle shaft close to the differential to get both out.

Strong magnet on a brush handle has been known to work. JB Weld would likely do the job.

If all else fails, remove the whole axle and just tip the broken piece out. It's not a huge job to remove the axle, 7 bolts, the brake pipe and hand brake cable.

Is it the short side? If so you could have the classic twisted splines issue and an axle that won’t come out. You need to cut the axle shaft close to the differential to get both out.
Long side, its snapped clean i would Imagine splines are fine. Ok I will try the magnet first thank you

does it have OE lockers? i think some folks have had to cut an access hole in the axle housing to get them out as the splines twist and make it near impossible to remove
I put a lockrite in it, it was a clean break 8 inches from the hub on the long side. I decided to get strong magnets and JB weld them on the end of a pipe. I will let you know if it works. I still don't know if its twisted up in the splines. I'm assuming it isn't because its such a clean break further down

I put a lockrite in it, it was a clean break 8 inches from the hub on the long side. I decided to get strong magnets and JB weld them on the end of a pipe. I will let you know if it works. I still don't know if its twisted up in the splines. I'm assuming it isn't because its such a clean break further down
Even if it is twisted at will probably still come out. The issue he’s talking about is inherent with the OEM elockers.

Was this a Nitro brand shaft?

Come in from the other side & push on the broken piece with a long pipe or some such?
I'm pretty sure that was at least part of the reason for the thru design of the 3rd. Just use care not to damage internal parts since you can't see what's going on - you have to go with "feel".

Got her thanks guys

IMG_20220823_172300.jpg

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!!!

I love JB weld, now you can fix that axle with JB weld, haha jk. It's always the wrong product to use, except for when its all you have.

We used an old beer can and some quikset jb weld to repair a busted case on my friends xr250 years ago.

He was able to ride it home with no problems.

Looking closely do you see any cracks, tool marks, or dings around the edge of the break?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom