Tachometer doesn't work with Pertronix ignition (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm on my second Pertronix ignition - the points replacement kit. I've been very pleased with it, BUT my tachometer shows no reading. It worked just fine when I was running the regular points.
I contacted Pertronix and they gave me 4 possible solutions, but each required installing either a resistor, a capacitor, or a pair of diodes. That sounds like a lot of hit and miss, and ordering a lot of parts, just hoping one of those suggestions works, so I'm wondering if anyone on MUD has had this issue and worked out a solution.
thanks.

I used to run the Pertronix on a F engine and my cheap digital tach worked fine

The basic tach wiring is green (signal wire) from tach to - neg side of coil an a positive (to key power source) and ground wire.

Thanks for all the responses. You may chuckle, but my tach is actually an old Heathkit auto analyzer that is pretty much the same age as the truck! So they should actually get along with one another.
I'm following the Heathkit instructions as to how to hook it up. However, given the age of the Heathkit, it may not be working properly. I'll hook it up to my 2000 Tacoma and see if it works with that. And I'll check all my wiring and report back.

tempImageJnveGQ.png

For simplicity sake, I bought a programable, digital tach for small engines on Amazon. It was about $20 and installs by wrapping the #1 coil wire and about the size of a Post-it pad.

Glad your issue has been resolved and you're not the first or the last of us to have a little egg on our face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom