“Steve” 1998 UZJ100: a daily driver with stock needs but overland dreams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NookShneer

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
It was the combination of a hot summer, periodically driving 100 series at work and desires for a bigger boat that lead to us finding “Steve”.

2D1BB9EC-E853-41AF-9302-6B7D0892A615.jpeg

837322A2-2760-4B10-A49B-56D0FD7875EF.jpeg

Steve was born in 1998. Grew up in S. California and spent the majority of his life in WA and considers himself a WA Native.

Very little surface rust on the underside of the body. Both a visual inspection and carfax show pretty service conscious previous owners. We appear to be the 5th owners as of today.

While I was getting pushed into High School band lockers Steve rolled off the assembly line and was a luxury SUV for its first owner for 8 years.

He probably lived in West Hills and cruised Mulholland to take the family to the beach. The Kardashians probably had their teeth worked on at the prior owners posh dental practice.

This is all hear say but the completely stock appearance of Steve give some insight to the practical preferences of a medical professional.

Who knew that a third row would resonate with the youth of today. The thing my 7 year old liked the most about this Landcruiser was that it had a 3rd row seat.

Not new to Landcruisers.

But this is the newest one I own and the only with EFI (for now).

Last edited:
Very cool nook!! I just picked up an all orig AZ 100 series coming from a 60 .. the 60 is no longer gonna serve DD .. I’m doing a light resto to the 100 for DD duty.

Looking forward to seeing what you’ll do

Very cool nook!! I just picked up an all orig AZ 100 series coming from a 60 .. the 60 is no longer gonna serve DD .. I’m doing a light resto to the 100 for DD duty.

Looking forward to seeing what you’ll do

Very conflicted. Hope to just clean it up more. Maybe recover the seats and carpet kit. With how much I modified the 60 I wanted to keep the 40 completely stock. I’m hoping to do the same with Steve.

But we will see. 🤷‍♂️

Very conflicted. Hope to just clean it up more. Maybe recover the seats and carpet kit. With how much I modified the 60 I wanted to keep the 40 completely stock. I’m hoping to do the same with Steve.

But we will see. 🤷‍♂️

I feel you on the modded 60 notion I’m there too.. I think I’m gonna keep everything as close to stock as possible on this one, just dial in the mechanicals and restore the interior.

Yours looks a million times better shape than what I’m working with

Got Steve on the lift tonight and went over him with one of the shop techs.

Overall good buy and Steve is in great shape. We do have a 90k service to take care of.

Immediate Needs

*Timing belt!!!
*Water pump
*Re-use rad hoses replace the rest of the front hoses.
*Metal Heater tees: use good worm clamps (Original factory spring clamps if re-used are likely to leak)
*Fan clutch (currently locked up)
*New coolant.
*Brake flush. Hope to improve brake feel with new fluid.
*Change oil and filter.
*Order and program Extra master key 🔑 & spare.
*Rear hatch shocks.

Fall Plans

*Trying to clean up the small areas of rust this fall and then coat with a chassis paint and top coat.
*Cosmoline after paint.

6 month plan

*Trans fluid/filter
*Both lower ball joints.
*Front sway bar end links and frame bushings.
*New shocks
*Front diff support bushing. (Clunk from a stop during accel)
*Front drive flanges

CV’s look good and I have a OEM Used set that I will reboot to have a set ready to go.

Parts should start to roll in Monday. For the immediate stuff.

Hanging out at the shop after hours.

We found below the air intake tube that someone wrote 90k service.

Due to that we dug into the inspection cover and looked at how the belt looked.

With Steve sitting at 236k and the last timing belt service at 90k we have a belt that has 147k approx or 57k over due for a change.

Zoom in on the belt and you can see surface cracks on the outside of the belt.

EFAEBCEA-FF9C-411D-8828-8D4EA8BC1F2E.jpeg

7B963A9A-BFBA-4D6E-A7B1-9E316D446651.jpeg

Looks like a great start to a project! Gave you a follow on IG, im also "North of Seattle"!

Cool. I’m in Lake Stevens. I make it down to the Seattle Cruiserheads meetings almost every month and trying to get into the North Sound group into the rotation. If you aren’t in either of the FB groups check it out.

Planning on getting the service work done this week. Since I’m try to minimize drive time on it until the timing belt gets replaced.

Decided to jump into prep for camping next week. I Started by running dedicated power to the back left side quarter panel. There is already power routed there. But it wouldn’t be up to the task of keeping up with the fridge draw. Take a look at the wire size difference and you’ll get it.

51C100BA-620C-45F0-AD1C-C882F40F965A.jpeg

Dometic kit comes with a nice locking (threaded) plug. I’m not sure if the fridge connectors are universal or this would be an option for everyone. That fact that it threads into the plug is awesome because it can’t come out on bumpy roads or when you put camp chairs in the space next to the fridge.

B03388DF-0ABD-4AEB-BF07-A581A38824B3.jpeg

3E2AF780-BB1C-4E96-96EB-5FCD3C667A62.jpeg

I removed all the interior panels, and was able to get the line from the battery back to the rear corner pretty easily. Toughest party was going through the firewall grommet.

357FE9A8-AF1A-4139-AAF6-6B254AD3864E.jpeg

I’ll put together a video of the rest of the install at some point.

Other than the battery needing to get changed out for something with more capacity this should be good for now.

I’ll see about adding a second battery for capacity and an easy solar attachment for trips.

2DEB7665-B9D9-4B07-9EC9-AA42346698E0.jpeg

432A58BB-1E7D-404F-A839-D73B6D518D3E.jpeg

Cool. I’m in Lake Stevens. I make it down to the Seattle Cruiserheads meetings almost every month and trying to get into the North Sound group into the rotation. If you aren’t in either of the FB groups check it out.

Didnt know about either FB group or meetings but will have to check them out. We live in pretty close to the same area, im just down in Snohomish

0CD2B04E-40FC-4FA0-8990-C062262F9AB2.jpeg

Saturday was a long day. Did the timing belt and Waterpump, idlers, new radiator fan clutch and drive belt.

E465DCFA-2C80-4935-B32B-803EA3D29691.jpeg

Reason for the struggle.

2EC84737-9D1E-4674-BDC2-14C56860460C.jpeg

New water pump and fan assembly. Check out that (right) Driverside cam seal. Needed to redo that one.

539946D2-159A-4527-BF95-CD1E0C4BE291.jpeg

No other photos past this point. Had to put the camera down and wrap up.

Few more things to wrap up and enjoy.

Brake flush, spark plugs, rear lift gate shocks up next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom