Camp Kitchen updates (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well even though summer has basically just started I have been thinking about my camp kitchen setup for upcoming trips and events like Fall Crawl for a while.
The GF and I were planning on heading out to CO at the end of July but with gas prices and a new puppy it just isn’t going to happen …. This year.

We really are hoping next year it will though… we hope.

Still it has not stopped me from adding on and making changes in the camping setup when I run across something new or worth it or cool or just plain ol’ a great steal, I mean deal!

Since many of you know I love to cook I decided it was time to upgrade the camp stove from the basic Coleman 2 burner I have been using for years to something a bit, well, more.

Found a killer deal on a used Camp Chef Everest 2 Burner Stove on Facebook Marketplace for ONLY 40$ and the seller tossed in 4 of the mini green propane tanks. Normally the stove sells for like 150$, so I couldn't pass up that deal! It was in almost new condition just some discoloration on 1 burner!
Already have used it a few times and man it puts out some heat and the controls work smoothly and it actually holds a simmer!

camp kitchen stove.jpg

I also found a deal on a Kelty Basecamp Kitchen ( small ) that I couldn't pass up on. It stores in a very small footprint and give me a stand alone table for the stove and frees up my folding table for more uses like prep, clean up and other things.

I had no idea that the 30$ i spent on it would be such a steal. It is not made anymore but there are prices online for over 100$!!! I mean it's nice and all but damn it's not THAT nice!

I will have to modify the wind screen though since it has a space to pass a propane hose through the rear screen but all my different stoves and grills all have the propane hookup on the right side. No big deal, just an easy trim and it is perfect. That is if I even use the windscreen pieces. Time will tell on that though.

camp kitchen stove 2.jpg

( cooking steaks on the cast iron grill/griddle and using the 5 gal propane tank makes for no worries about running out of fuel to cook with as well. )

To keep the bougie-ness on par with the Lexus/Land Cruiser nameplate I also had to get a fitted tablecloth for the folding table… for two reasons.
1) the table top is damn slippery and the tablecloth negates that a lot.
2) the tablecloth also hides the underside when looking at it from the front or sides. I normally put my camp boxes under the table and out of the way so yeah it just looks better now LOL!!

camp kitchen setup.jpg

Speaking of storage boxes I upgraded those as well. Last Fall Crawl ‘21 when we had that hard rain overnight my top box ( kitchen box ) had some water intrusion which while it was not too bad it was annoying. The bottom box was only the Shelter box which i just keep the tent in and it has a mesh open grid bottom so it of course gets wet but who cares.
Well I wanted to get something that was waterproof as well as sturdy to store everything in but didn’t break the bank either. All the ROAM and FrontRunner boxes were priced pretty damn high and I was not wanting to spend quite that much. I found at Home Depot these nice storage bins from Husky. Clear lids, stack able, waterproof/dust proof and they seem pretty durable. At 30$ a piece is not too bad of a price either. I also like that at a glance through the top I can tell what is in it. I am sure I will still label them though. I got 2 of the 12 gallon sizes but they make 5 gal and 20 gal but the latter is just too big for my needs and the 5 gal a bit too small but 2 of them side by side fill the top of the bigger ones and will stack nicely!

camp kitchen storage.jpg

So the camp kitchen is growing but I don’t think it is getting too out of hand where its over the top and I will need a trailer to haul it all or just break down and get a true food truck!

Links below if anyone is interested in the stuff...

Stove:
Amazon product ASIN B004S3HDBO
Kelty Table:
Amazon product ASIN B005F5A03M
Tablecloth:

Storage Container:
Husky 12-Gal. Professional Duty Waterproof Storage Container with Hinged Lid in Red 248921 - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-Gal-Professional-Duty-Waterproof-Storage-Container-with-Hinged-Lid-in-Red-248921/313861297

FYI. probably not convenient for you but Fairfax Propane refills your tank with more gas than you would get in a replacement tank from a big box store for less $$

good to know but yeah it is WAY out of the way LOL

I use a small mom and pop helpful hardware place near me to fill my tanks up.

FYI. probably not convenient for you but Fairfax Propane refills your tank with more gas than you would get in a replacement tank from a big box store for less $$

Every time I go to Fairfax Propane I expect to find a condo being built there. That place is a time capsule, and it’s probably only a matter of months before the wrecking ball comes for it…:

I tried to get our 5 lb tank refilled mid trip one time—what a nightmare. I couldn’t figure out what propane places were exchange only, which were household, etc—couldn’t find anyone to refill a travel tank between Pittsburgh and Staunton. We’ll use 20 lb exchange tanks for any future trips over four days (about all we get out of a 5 lb tank cooking two pretty serious meals per day for five.

Love that stove—we’ve had one for about four years, and it’s awesome. Wanted a Partner Steel stove but this cost about 33% as much…

Valley Energy in Purcellville is a proper fuel depot... LP, all grades gasoline, DEF, offroad diesel, high speed diesel pumps.
They do super-cheap LP refills on certain days. I bet they'll fill just about anything.

nice but its a bit of a haul from the Baltimore area
Posted that location for @mdcoa since he was struggling to find a fill on a 5 pounder.
And for anyone looking for cheap fills.

that is a good deal on a refill.

The thing to keep in mind when you swap your tank with another, is that prefilled, they don't fill them to 20#. It says so on the label.

damn, i didn't realize there were still places to get a propane grill tank re-filled. i thought it was blue rhino or bust these days. a couple decades ago i used to frequent a refill station down Rt1 in the fairfax portion of alexandria.

on a quasi-related note; anywhere to get a fire extinguisher re-filled? i have an old Halon 2lb bottle that is "low".

damn, i didn't realize there were still places to get a propane grill tank re-filled. i thought it was blue rhino or bust these days. a couple decades ago i used to frequent a refill station down Rt1 in the fairfax portion of alexandria.

on a quasi-related note; anywhere to get a fire extinguisher re-filled? i have an old Halon 2lb bottle that is "low".

Fireline in Leesburg.
Might need a hydro test, based on age.

Some uhaul facilities fill propane tanks and you can filter for those locations on their website. I haven’t gotten a tank filled at one though.

I’ve been using Suburban Fuel Company.

I’ve found that old school fuel oil and/or places that sell off highway diesel usually do it even if it’s not obvious on their site.

You might try calling places that rent/sell/service forklifts and other small equipment too.

Some uhaul facilities fill propane tanks and you can filter for those locations on their website. I haven’t gotten a tank filled at one though.

I’ve been using Suburban Fuel Company.

I’ve found that old school fuel oil and/or places that sell off highway diesel usually do it even if it’s not obvious on their site.

You might try calling places that rent/sell/service forklifts and other small equipment too.
The Uhaul in Chantilly fills tanks. I use them regularly

I've found refilling at the Tractor Supply in Glen Burnie to be extremely easy. So much cheaper than tank exchange.

how did my thread about the improvements I made to my camp kitchen turn into a thread about refilling prone tanks?

how did my thread about the improvements I made to my camp kitchen turn into a thread about refilling prone tanks?
The 1000 monkeys at 1000 computers haven't quite gotten to the Shakespeare end goal yet!

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom