What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (107 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spent a lot of time flushing out coolant.

IMG_20220812_183231_899.jpg

Seems to run a couple of degrees cooler now.

20220813_141455.jpg

The old Honda tuner in me made a brake resevior cover.

20220803_080018.jpg

It's pretty useless other then bring a little smile to my face.

Had the front diff rebuilt by @Bama4door and initially thought that I'd just pull the front apart and stuff in the rebuilt diff. In tearing down the front axle to pull the diff noticed that one of the knuckles had a notchy feel in movement, that led to a full knuckle rebuild. My memory has minimized how dirty this job is and how long it can take, mainly due to cleaning parts.

IMG_8577.jpg

Had the front diff rebuilt by @Bama4door and initially thought that I'd just pull the front apart and stuff in the rebuilt diff. In tearing down the front axle to pull the diff noticed that one of the knuckles had a notchy feel in movement, that led to a full knuckle rebuild. My memory has minimized how dirty this job is and how long it can take, mainly due to cleaning parts.

View attachment 3086457
Cleaning parts is half the battle! I usually use at least 1 whole roll of the blue mechanics towel rolls

Is that a hitch-mounted tire carrier? If so, is it a particular brand (Wilco, Rig'd, etc) or a DIY one-off? My Dad designed and fabbed one for his '96 4Runner that he has since given to me. I have to get it shortened a little to line up with my hitch holes, but I'm looking forward to using it and putting some pics up here. He did a good job, IMHO.
@Rdeschain - That one is a Wilco High Clearance hitch mounted carrier. I ended up making a custom hitch receiver that mounts to the 4 holes in the bumper/rear crossmember. I don't tow anything with this rig so this was always going to be a temp solution until I fab or buy new rear bumper.

Put new wheels and tires on the wife’s ride. FN counter steer 17x8 4.10 bs, wheels machined for 80, 285 75 r17s Bfg

@ajax1 - Do you happen to have the final bore size the wheels were machined to? There are a few threads out there going back and forth between 106 and 108 and would like to get your direct confirmation if possible that is specific to the 80.

I was referring to @BillyGoatMTB . Lots of Delta on his truck, which I thought you were referencing. My bad if not. :)
You're nuts man! :steer: Nice work.

While I do respect and appreciate Safari's quality and heritage, it'd be dope if a vendor like Delta made a snorkel in their aesthetic esp for rigs like yours that did the right thing by going ALL in.

Imagine one in CFRP. Siq!
Oh you're not kidding you know I'm a Delta fan boy all day I drill new holes to put a Delta snorkel on
I was referring to @BillyGoatMTB . Lots of Delta on his truck, which I thought you were referencing. My bad if not. :)

Hahaha, you know I'm a Delta fan boy, you like what you like and I like me some Delta.

Wonder if him or @Feldrian is a better example how to give delta all the money? Lol
I'm pretty sure I have them both beat after the 2nd front bumper... Still no regrets. Great products. Would sure love to know how that rear gate storage is going tho.

Lutz Speed controller complete, great product, easy plug and Play.

Once I got it all set I silicone rtv the unit, wrapped it in heat shield and Tessa tap

I'm geared 4:88 on 35's, 17 clicks down did the trick.

PXL_20220814_224053375.jpg

PXL_20220814_215412221.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have them both beat after the 2nd front bumper... Still no regrets. Great products. Would sure love to know how that rear gate storage is going tho.
Right, love the Delta gear.

Our next 80 will be a good mix of Delta

I had to take a couple old springbar tents up to Salt Lake for repairs so I ended up driving the old rig about 800 miles.

While I was up there I decided to visit my old home town of Bountiful. I got together with a friend and we hiked up to our old stomping grounds on the mtn.

Trailhead.

20220814_151207.jpg

We built this fortress of nets 16 years ago in high school. This was our escape and underage drinking spot. We called it " the twines".

20220813_175249.jpg

20220813_170419.jpg

My gnome is still tied up in the tree after 16 years.

Climbing into these things after 16 years was sketchy but they held up!!!

20220813_165236.jpg

I melted my nice sleeping bag a few years ago so I had to stop at the Scheels in Salt Lake and get a new one.

20220814_131631.jpg

What an awesome store, I ended up with a stone glacier 0 degree Chilkoot bag. It's so nice!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom