Thanks for having me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning. It was suggested I post an introduction of my 78 FJ40. I have had it for about 12 years and it originally came from Dubai. Original F2. I have no idea how many miles are on it as the odometer spins. I love it. It was always my favorite vehicle as a teenager and I can’t believe I own one. I will be back with questions about what I think is a distributor or coil question. I have gleaned lots of answers to questions over the years on the blog and am glad to be part of it. Thanks

Good morning. It was suggested I post an introduction of my 78 FJ40. I have had it for about 12 years and it originally came from Dubai. Original F2. I have no idea how many miles are on it as the odometer spins. I love it. It was always my favorite vehicle as a teenager and I can’t believe I own one. I will be back with questions about what I think is a distributor or coil question. I have gleaned lots of answers to questions over the years on the blog and am glad to be part of it. Thanks

unnamed.jpg

Not my best day....had to tow it home which brings me to my subject. I am new at this so not sure if this gets out to whole FJ40 gang. I was driving about 45 mph and had total loss of power. Would still turn over...no spark. Under the rotor, I found a broken green wire. Repaired this and it fired up. Problem solved...I'm a genius! Drove a mile and same thing. This time I replaced the whole wire and both terminals. Fired up and died after 1/4 mile. ? coil, plug wires, distributor.

Can you post a picture or 2 of the inside of your distributor so we can see what is going on?

Short term: You could try new set of points, condenser, rotor and cap. Long term, possibly a new distributor with Petronix. @65swb45 can hook you up. Call (not email) Mark at Mark's Off Road.

(818) 953-9230​

Coil should be fine. Based on the one pic, and that you’ve likely not changed them in the last 12 years I’d replace the plug wires also.

Be sure the replacement for the green wire is stranded wire as it will get flexed. Also check your grounds between the engine and frame and battery.

Just start off by changing the points. From your pic, you can see one of the six bumps on the distributor main shaft directly across from your points. Thus it is reasonable to infer your points are also resting on a bump. And if they are, they shouldn’t be closed. They look closed. Conclusion: the brush on the points has worn down, and the points are burned.

Buy a dwellmeter and a feeler gauge set. When you install the new points, set the gap per FSM. Then check with dwellmeter. Should read between 38-41 degrees. Probably doesn’t. Slowly close point gap and recheck until you get to 38-41. Then recheck point gap with feeler gauge and report back. If it’s under .012”, you should consider a new distributor.

I’m currently running down the same situation with one of my customers. This routine should be in a FAQ.

www.marksoffroad.net

Last edited:
Dwell meters are very worthwhile… but I suspect are getting harder to find. When I bought my 40 the parts stores had them sitting on the shelf next to timing lights… now you’ll likely need to order one online.

Most ticketed mechanics these days probably have only seen points in pictures and don’t know how to fix them because there’s no computer to tell them what’s wrong.

Coil should be fine. Based on the one pic, and that you’ve likely not changed them in the last 12 years I’d replace the plug wires also.

Be sure the replacement for the green wire is stranded wire as it will get flexed. Also check your grounds between the engine and frame and battery.
Huh. I did not replace it with stranded copper. I thought solid would be stronger but can get that done easy enough. Thanks

Just start off by changing the points. From your pic, you can see one of the six bumps on the distributor main shaft directly across from your points. Thus it is reasonable to infer your points are also resting on a bump. And if they are, they shouldn’t be closed. They look closed. Conclusion: the brush on the points has worn down, and the points are burned.

Buy a dwellmeter and a feeler gauge set. When you install the new points, set the gap per FSM. Then check with dwellmeter. Should read between 38-41 degrees. Probably doesn’t. Slowly close point gap and recheck until you get to 38-41. Then recheck point gap with feeler gauge and report back. If it’s under .012”, you should consider a new distributor.

I’m currently running down the same situation with one of my customers. This routine should be in a FAQ.

www.marksoffroad.net
Thanks. I will be in touch tomorrow to order parts.

Thanks. I will be in touch tomorrow to order parts.
Take a cruise around the website. Read the FAQ. Please keep in mind I have a minimum order policy. Thanks.😊

Huh. I did not replace it with stranded copper. I thought solid would be stronger but can get that done easy enough. Thanks

The mechanical and/or vacuum advance/retard will turn the plate relative to the housing. Fine stranded wire will withstand repeated flexing better than a solid core wire.

Re your order, I’d recommend replacing Points, condenser, Cap, rotor, and ignition wires. Likely some fuses and other things would be good to have on hand.

Now if you’ve recently replaced some of these things don’t worry about them… I’m just shooting in the dark.

Dwell meters are very worthwhile… but I suspect are getting harder to find. When I bought my 40 the parts stores had them sitting on the shelf next to timing lights… now you’ll likely need to order one online.

Most ticketed mechanics these days probably have only seen points in pictures and don’t know how to fix them because there’s no computer to tell them what’s wrong.
IIRC, when the pandemic started, somebody created a meme with a picture of a set of points that said: if you know what these are, you are in the high risk group!😛
One more reason people turn to Pertronix.

IIRC, when the pandemic started, somebody created a meme with a picture of a set of points that said: if you know what these are, you are in the high risk group!😛
One more reason people turn to Pertronix.
That makes me feel old… by most measures I’d not be considered high risk. I guess that’s the price I pay for my cruiser habit. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom