Transfer case compatibility with 3 speed g/box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a 1966 Australian FJ45 Ute. It has just lost high range.

If I am to replace the transfer case; does this need to come from another ‘3 speed’?

From my understanding the early 3 speeds had a 10 spline input pattern, 73 on had 16 spline and split case 19 spline?

Or does this just relate to the actual gears?

Thank you
Dave

Not familiar with the 73 four speed. Thought those were ten spline. Mid 63 to 7/80 the transfer case case be used. US market did not get H42 four until 74. The used in the HJ45 and 73 FJ40 was never imported here. I do believe the early one had ten spline. There are also some Pre 8/80 H41s with ten spline. Transfer case from those would bolt right up. There is an input gear with 10 spline and 31 teeth that would allow 4/75-7/80 transfer case to be used with the three speed. Never used in the US and do not believe Australia had a three speed transmission after 72. Specter Off Road sold that gear at one time. Not sure they still do. Bottom line any one piece case can be used but might need some different internal parts. One thing to keep in mind the transfer cases for the four speed have a 1.99:1 low range verse 2.13:1 on the three. It was believed the early four speed up to 4/75 had the lower 2.13:1 gearing but it doesn't. It used a different idler and low range gear that were wider on the low range gears. The advantage of that early four speed is it has a 16 spline 29 teeth input gear that allows a early three transfer case to be used with a 16 spline four speed. To my knowledge the 8/80+ all four speeds had 19 spline output shaft. There were a few markets that still had a three speed up to 10/82. Those still had the one piece transfer case. The three speed was never mated to a split transfer case.

When you say it lost high range are you saying gears broke or is it simply a matter the high/low range selector simply quit working?

The high range gears broke. Was going down a hill in 1st and it let go - sounded like it stripped the gears.

Here's some more tcase info. I found this in the faq's then tech links

Attachments

• tcase_tech (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
I would seriously consider swapping in a 4 speed at this time. They’re a stronger transmission and it’ll likely be easier to find a four speed transmission, T-case, bel housing, and driveshafts.

Now that I’ve typed it all out… maybe not easier… or cheaper. In the end the swap would be worth the extra hassle. If your high gears were worn out enough to fail… I’d worry about what’s left of your three speed transmission.

I would seriously consider swapping in a 4 speed at this time. They’re a stronger transmission and it’ll likely be easier to find a four speed transmission, T-case, bel housing, and driveshafts.

Now that I’ve typed it all out… maybe not easier… or cheaper. In the end the swap would be worth the extra hassle. If your high gears were worn out enough to fail… I’d worry about what’s left of your three speed transmission.
Thanks.

The 66 Ute is just a farm Ute with PTO tipper. Doesn’t travel far. Low speed only. Could do with a new clutch so it’s worth pulling box out too.

It’s actually mated to a 245 ‘Hemi’ which is an Australian Chrysler six. It was a give away and sat a long time before I got it going a year ago. Likely done a lot of work.

I want to keep the job straight forward.

I have a nice BJ40 and HJ47 fit the road.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom