FJ40 Roll Bar Assembly - Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I am restoring my 74 FJ40 and had to buy patches for the rearwheel wheels, quarter panels etc.. When I bought my FJ it had an aftermarket role bar and I have since purchased an original FJ40 Roll bar. What I am missing now that I have replaced some of the rear panels is clarity on how the roll bar was mounted to the body? Was it simply bolted in to a welded in nut in the body and if so is that reinforced in any way or was it bolted through the body and secured on the other side. Any pictures and advice on how the original roll bar mounts to the body would be greatly appreciated.

74 didn't come with roll bar.

1974 was the first year for regulation-mandated roll bars in 40s sold in the US market.

Hi All, I am restoring my 74 FJ40 and had to buy patches for the rear wheel wells, quarter panels etc.. When I bought my FJ it had an aftermarket roll bar and I have since purchased an original FJ40 Roll bar. What I am missing now that I have replaced some of the rear panels is clarity on how the roll bar was mounted to the body? Was it simply bolted in to a welded in nut in the body and if so is that reinforced in any way or was it bolted through the body and secured on the other side. Any pictures and advice on how the original roll bar mounts to the body would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of the top side of my 74 in progress.

it's currently at the shop so I can't view the bottom but I recall some if not more holes requiring nut and washers on the bottom side.

I believe some model roll-bars had welded bolts at the base plate that extended through the body that were captured and tightened underneath the body.

My model did not and only had holes on both roll bar and body.

The only thing I don't recall was how many (if at all) body-welded nuts there might have been.

I feel like they might have been at the front bar mounting points but not the back.

IMG_3510.jpeg

Here is a pic of the top side of my 74 in progress.

it's currently at the shop so I can't view the bottom but I recall some if not more holes requiring nut and washers on the bottom side.

I believe some model roll-bars had welded bolts at the base plate that extended through the body that were captured and tightened underneath the body.

My model did not and only had holes on both roll bar and body.

The only thing I don't recall was how many (if at all) body-welded nuts there might have been.

I feel like they might have been at the front bar mounting points but not the back.

View attachment 3085442
Thank you @SteadiCruiser, appreciate the response. Beautiful FJ btw. Did you powder coat or paint your roll bar? Whenever you see your cruiser again, I would be interested in learning which bolts have welded in nuts vs which are just fixed with a loose nut on the underside of the wheel well. Thanks again!
Jason

OK, y'all win I was off a bit. Apologies to the OP.

1974 was the first year for regulation-mandated roll bars in 40s sold in the US market.
@cruiserdan Thanks for clarifying the year when roll bars were included. Can you provide any insight into my original question (how are the roll bars mounted to the tub - via welded in nuts in the tub or through the tub and then secured with a loose nut on the other side). Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Thank you @SteadiCruiser, appreciate the response. Beautiful FJ btw. Did you powder coat or paint your roll bar? Whenever you see your cruiser again, I would be interested in learning which bolts have welded in nuts vs which are just fixed with a loose nut on the underside of the wheel well. Thanks again!
Jason

Visited the truck today in the shop and visually confirmed ( as Brian mentioned above) that the tub reinforcement brackets have welded nuts on all mounting points.

Also, thanks for the complements. I did end up powder coating the bar and it's components.

IMG_3656.jpeg

Last edited:
This is an easy mistake to make, kind of like the upsidedown bezel thing. When you install the main hoop, make sure the corner pads face rearward, any future passengers will thank you for eliminating the headache possibility. Don't do what this guy did.... 😐

FJ49 FST 75 WHITE PIGGY web ready036.jpg

This is an easy mistake to make, kind of like the upsidedown bezel thing. When you install the main hoop, make sure the corner pads face rearward, any future passengers will thank you for eliminating the headache possibility. Don't do what this guy did.... 😐

View attachment 3087500

the funny thing is, there is a sales brochure with a picture with them like this.
Edit
From the 1975 brochure.

20220815_185205.jpg

Last edited:
Would think there has to be a later 75 sales brochure. Wrong turn signals. Same with apron lights which moved to the turn signals 1/75. That also looks like a used vehicle not a shinny new one. Rear tail lights lenses look faded.

View attachment 3087500
I see you pinched one of our collection photos.

By the way, that is an unmolested 48,000 mile original truck.

Would think there has to be a later 75 sales brochure. Wrong turn signals. Same with apron lights which moved to the turn signals 1/75. That also looks like a used vehicle not a shinny new one. Rear tail lights lenses look faded.
it's a '75 brochure ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom