1985 22re (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a dizzy and put it in got the truck started and ran rough for probably around 3 to 5 minutes and died. Tried to restart and it will only start up for only a second or 2 then dead. Tried a few more times check code and was getting 6 flash code. I took the coil loose and igniter cleaned all mounting and points of contact put it all back tried to start it and acted the same way only acts like it’s gonna run the dies. Checked codes again and no codes now. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ok finally got it running fair. New plugs wires rotor button and gas. It’s running rich but it is running. How big of a deal is it if the 02 sensor is not hooked on a 85 efi? I can’t find a plug that it plugs into anywhere so I’m guessing the plug is missing like some of the others. Can’t someone tell me what wire is for the 02 sensor?

Too dark to take a picture. The plug is on the driver's side, real close to the brake booster.

The ox sensor is a big deal and a major part of the fuel management system.

Ok finally got it running fair. New plugs wires rotor button and gas. It’s running rich but it is running. How big of a deal is it if the 02 sensor is not hooked on a 85 efi? I can’t find a plug that it plugs into anywhere so I’m guessing the plug is missing like some of the others. Can’t someone tell me what wire is for the 02 sensor?

Can't speak specifically for '85, but here's an '88...may or may not be the same.
Drivers side, under seat/carpet.

DSCN0679.JPG

DSCN0680.JPG

Last edited:
Too dark to take a picture. The plug is on the driver's side, real close to the brake booster.

I’d plug it up but no plug. There is gray wire next to brake booster that’s bigger than all the others just a single wire alone the end of it bare. I’m sure it’s been pulled out of it plug. Could that be it?

Its like said. There is an inner wire surrounded by ground shield. You need to make sure to pull the grounding back to get a clean splice. If the signal wire is spliced to ground it will obviously not work properly. O2 sensor is pushing very little voltage. The shield is there to protect the signal against rf or whatever.

I thought that may be it. Can you tell me how to properly splice it?

Its like said. There is an inner wire surrounded by ground shield. You need to make sure to pull the grounding back to get a clean splice. If the signal wire is spliced to ground it will obviously not work properly. O2 sensor is pushing very little voltage. The shield is there to protect the signal against rf or whatever.

don't cut or splice wires here , i keep ALL relevant 85 era electrical connectors both male and females on-hand , i will help you out with the missing ones you need

i have all the various brass and chrome plated tinned terminals too , Welcome to MUD too ...... :)

oh , no cost involved ........fyi

if you can post up photos of what ones you need and or make it very clear you need the one that plugs into the photo you posted here in your TECH. thread this is

the best way for me to correctly identify them and provide you with a exact matching and or mating replacement as required , if my good friend @gnob has tech pics

that specifically related to your needed connectors and terminals that would be helpful here too .......

- this is called
MUD-SHIP and this is what we do ...... :cool:

kindly
matt

for example :

not sure if you have a screw-in or flange mount-type O2 sensor ?

but your sensor side connector plug should look like this .....

1660404357877.jpeg

Last edited:
don't cut or splice wires here , i keep ALL relevant 85 era electrical connectors both male and females on-hand , i will help you out with the missing ones you need

i have all the various brass and chrome plated tinned terminals too , Welcome to MUD too ...... :)

oh , no cost involved ........fyi

if you can post up photos of what ones you need and or make it very clear you need the one that plugs into the photo you posted here in your TECH. thread this is

the best way for me to correctly identify them and provide you with a exact matching and or mating replacement as required , if my good friend @gnob has tech pics

that specifically related to your needed connectors and terminals that would be helpful here too .......

- this is called
MUD-SHIP and this is what we do ...... :cool:

kindly
matt

for example :

not sure if you have a screw-in or flange mount-type O2 sensor ?

but your sensor side connector plug should look like this .....

View attachment 3085559
Thanks a lot.. my 02 sensor is a flange mount style. I’ve took a couple day off of messing with it. Last time I started it ran fair but Is running pretty rich. Black smoke from exhaust and will burn your eyes lol.. sometimes but not everytime I’ll get a code 12 which is for the knock sensor.

Thanks a lot.. my 02 sensor is a flange mount style. I’ve took a couple day off of messing with it. Last time I started it ran fair but Is running pretty rich. Black smoke from exhaust and will burn your eyes lol.. sometimes but not everytime I’ll get a code 12 which is for the knock sensor.

maybe the knock sensor is un-plugged ?

did not know a 85 22RE had a knock sensor but perhaps they do ......

maybe the knock sensor is un-plugged ?

did not know a 85 22RE had a knock sensor but perhaps they do ......
Yep, right next to the oil filter. Uses the same connector as the AC temperature switch on top of the thermostat.

Yep, right next to the oil filter. Uses the same connector as the AC temperature switch on top of the thermostat.

note :
please ignore the sensor in the photo , .......

- but this is the correct profile connector for a 1985 22RE knock sensor ?

1660441242882.png

- the grey tip sensor itself is for a land cruiser 3FE , mounted on the thermostat housing Pappy .... :)

Well, I'll be. I had to wander out to my 2FE for a look. I didn't realize the 3FE used the same sensor. On early 22RE's it's also mounted on top of the thermostat housing.

AC thermo switch-sm.jpg

Well, I'll be. I had to wander out to my 2FE for a look. I didn't realize the 3FE used the same sensor. On early 22RE's it's also mounted on top of the thermostat housing.

View attachment 3086252

i did not realize the NLA / Disc. 89428-14070

- it covers all these applications below , every day is a learning experience on TOYOTA parts 🤔

11/87-10/95 all 3VZ-FE applications USA spec. and CANADA spec. too ......

I’ve had and still got a couple 22r with a Weber. I’m still learning on the 22re. Which temp sensor works the gauge in the dash. Mine will sometimes shoot up to operating temp when first started or it will drop to cold when warm got a mind of it’s own I guess. @ToyotaMatt i may need a couple connectors but mainly just trying to see if it’s gonna run good enough to drive for a bit before sinking much time or money in to it. I primarily bought it for parts but everything was there so I thought I’d see if I could get going and see how motor trans and all that was.

Which temp sensor works the gauge in the dash.
The gauge sender is on the intake manifold between cylinders 2 and 3. On the 1985 trucks there is a second port that can be used for an aftermarket gauge.

Location of the factory temp sender. Note this a later sender (1994), but the location is the same.

tempsend.jpg

Picture of my Autometer gauge sender, with the factory sender relocated to the side. Sender on the left with the blue connector is factory. The sender on top (blue wire) is the aftermarket using a metric adapter.

tempsender.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom