1996 Land Cruiser EV Conversion - EVJ80 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is Heresy!

I'll see if my wife is up for Red Rocks today :cool: If you see a light blue corvair, it's my neighbor :)

How does this go with legalities of registration? Here in Australia I reckon the roads authorities would reject any EV-converted non-EV because they would say it has to go through the full engineering assessment process and there would be no place in Australia qualified or capable of doing the full compliance and engineering assessment for such a vehicle currently (since EV's here are still such a niche product in general).

The only EV 4wd's here are custom converted 79 series specifically for mining use mostly underground. There are no other EV's made here as Australia had all it's vehicle manufacturing raped when the various car makers walked away (Mitsubishi in 2008, and Ford GM/Holden and Toyota all within the last 10 years) so all new EV's sold here bar those converted 79's are imported.

I don't think there would be enough commercial viability to create vehicle-specific EV conversions for 80 series aka LX450's unless Toyota itself came to the party. I own classic Saab cars (c900's and a 9000) too and some people in the USA have tried EV-converting Saab c900's with limited success. The biggest hassle I reckon would be properly distributing the weight so the COG is not unduly raised thereby signficantly increasng the rollover risk. There's more then enough hardware around now to pick/choose from.

How does this go with legalities of registration? Here in Australia I reckon the roads authorities would reject any EV-converted non-EV because they would say it has to go through the full engineering assessment process and there would be no place in Australia qualified or capable of doing the full compliance and engineering assessment for such a vehicle currently (since EV's here are still such a niche product in general).

The only EV 4wd's here are custom converted 79 series specifically for mining use mostly underground. There are no other EV's made here as Australia had all it's vehicle manufacturing raped when the various car makers walked away (Mitsubishi in 2008, and Ford GM/Holden and Toyota all within the last 10 years) so all new EV's sold here bar those converted 79's are imported.
Yep it's probably not possible in Australia or lots of other places but luckily for me in the state that I live homemade DIY EV conversions are embraced. My state has no safety inspections either, only emissions.

I will be taking my Cruiser to the CO DMV office where they will inspect my truck and check that all ICE related components have been fully removed and they will check it off as an EV in the state registration and exempt me from emissions testing. After that I'll just need to renew my registration every year and keep it insured and I'm 100% legal to drive anywhere.

Showing off the awesome custom built EVs at the event:
Bummed I missed this. Whats your thought on a lighting E Motor system put in the 80? Would it even be possible and did you talk to them much to have an idea what their conversions would even run cost wise? I still would love to stop by there and try to get a tour but pretty sure they would kick me out.

What is the weight increase to change an 80 to an EV? Where is/are the battery module(s) installed and how much range does that give for what it essentially a 2.96 tonne GVM brick?

What is the weight increase to change an 80 to an EV? Where is/are the battery module(s) installed and how much range does that give for what it essentially a 2.96 tonne GVM brick?
It all in the thread 🤷‍♂️

@clrussell diyelectriccar.com is a pretty good forum for it.

@philip g yeah hopefully as more EVs and more lithium batteries, or a new type of battery, are made hopefully the price will drop drastically. The single most expensive part of an EV is the battery.

@sunrk it is actually lighter than stock. When it was dead-stock I weighed it at 5180lbs and before I left for Moab it was 5280 lbs ready to wheel. 33"s and winch and bumpers and roof rack. It gets about 60 miles in town and 30 on the trail. It has a tiny battery compared to a Rivian but so far my efficiency seems to be about 10-15% worse than the Rivian on the same terrain. So not horrible. If I can add more batteries then it'll go farther.

Just watched your whole presentation... well done! And thanks again for letting us be a small part of this, just so cool Jimmy. :cheers:
Thank you for the help and the solar rack, I probably wouldn't have gone for it without Gamiviti being there.

I'll be at the Rising Sun Rally this Saturday showing off my trucks and selling parts. Come by!

Rising sun-flyer-v6.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom