Flywheel replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
A s***ty chinese starter has destroyed my 80's flywheel to the point that even with a nice new Denso in there, I still sometimes get no contact (no sound at keyturn but I can hear the starter spinning), or more rarely a lovely gnashing sound. I have seen the destruction, the flywheel is missing a lot of teeth.

Wanted to ask if anyone has ever replaced one, and what that involved. When I talked to the guys who do the bugger jobs on my truck, they mentioned its gonna be pricey (I think he said north of 1k for parts and labor).

If anyone has any advice on how to move forward, I would appreciate it. To anyone who is just starting out with a cruiser, make sure you only use true OEM parts.

Cheers,
Chris

Actually a flexplate for an automatic transmission vehicle. The transmission and transfer case need to come out to do the job. A lot of labor. A new OEM flexplate will be around $350.00.

Not bad job but yes you drop the tranny. One note is one bolt is different then the others it is slightly different color it goes to the hole with a dot if I remember right, it’s been bout 7 years since I have done one. Same head size as the others, I wanna say it was dark green color?

Hey guys,
A s***ty chinese starter has destroyed my 80's flywheel to the point that even with a nice new Denso in there, I still sometimes get no contact (no sound at keyturn but I can hear the starter spinning), or more rarely a lovely gnashing sound. I have seen the destruction, the flywheel is missing a lot of teeth.

Wanted to ask if anyone has ever replaced one, and what that involved. When I talked to the guys who do the bugger jobs on my truck, they mentioned its gonna be pricey (I think he said north of 1k for parts and labor).

If anyone has any advice on how to move forward, I would appreciate it. To anyone who is just starting out with a cruiser, make sure you only use true OEM parts.

Cheers,
Chris
I know it’s been a bit since this post but just wondering if you took it to a shop to be replaced? And around how much did they charge if so?

I know it’s been a bit since this post but just wondering if you took it to a shop to be replaced? And around how much did they charge if so?
I have this issue with my 3rd gen 4Runner. I haven't got it fixed yet but had a shop quote $1,400 for labor. Thinking of maybe fixing it myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom