Up in size from 31's to 33's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been running AT General Tires on my cruisers, 31's on my FJ62 with a 2inch or so OME lift.
Its time to replace the tires and I was thinking of upgrading to 33x10.5x15.

Is there a big difference between these sizes when it comes to on road / highway performance, acceleration, braking etc.? The 62 is stock otherwise.

fj622.jpeg

Last edited:
With the 4:11 gearing it won’t be so bad. You’d benefit from a 5 speed swap. I hear the 62 with a 5 speed and 33’s is a nice setup.

I have a 89 FJ62 with a 2” OME suspension, with aftermarket bumpers and a winch, other than that it’s stock.

Please understand that the 33” tires are pretty awesome, but for serious driving it can be kind of unpleasant to drive. I find that it has a hard time staying in overdrive, and on the hills it can be hard to maintain the speed limit without really working the rig. Sometimes I wish it hard 31” tires but at the end of the day, 33” is worth it, as long as your not in a hurry. Driving around town is fine though, it’s still able to spring off the line very well.

Pretty sure I’m going to go to 35” tires when I put on my 5speed.

It'll be slower and take more room to stop. It will cruise better on the freeway. Other than that, new tires will be better than your old tires.
On flat ground with a tail wind, they cruise very nicely, but if there is a head wind it will be shifting all the time.

I have this same decision to make in the back of my mind right now, but I have quite a bit of life left in my 31's and I've also got a new H55 in the shed waiting to get installed.

One thing to keep in mind is if you go with a BFG KO2, the 33" listed size is really closer to 32" in real life, so the difference would not be as drastic coming from a 31".

With the 4:11 gearing it won’t be so bad. You’d benefit from a 5 speed swap. I hear the 62 with a 5 speed and 33’s is a nice setup.
Thanks yeah, I do like the long legs on the highways driving 80 here in Utah. I guess i"m curious how badly the 33's will effect highway driving, although I'm mostly offroad.

I've been running AT General Tires on my cruisers, 31's on my FJ62 with a 2inch or so OME lift.
Its time to replace the tires and I was thinking of upgrading to 33x10.5x15.

Is there a big difference between these sizes when it comes to on road / highway performance, acceleration, braking etc.? The 62 is stock otherwise.

View attachment 3084487
Everything that @gimme a 60 a wrote is spot on.

I'm running 33's with a winch/front bumper, roof rack, rear bumper with swing outs, medium/heavy OME lift, stock gearing and a Rodney special auto tranny. It's a total pig. Braking is terrible, body roll is terrible and keeping it at highway speeds when any hills are involved is all but impossible.

But, I like it that way.

:flipoff2:

Upgrade to new 33s. You won't regret it.

I have this same decision to make in the back of my mind right now, but I have quite a bit of life left in my 31's and I've also got a new H55 in the shed waiting to get installed.

One thing to keep in mind is if you go with a BFG KO2, the 33" listed size is really closer to 32" in real life, so the difference would not be as drastic coming from a 31".
The BFG's are tiny for sure.. I've been really happy with General Tires and will probably stick to those. I have 33's on my 100 series and they're so much bigger than my 31's on the 62.
My AT just won't die.. I take really good care of it though. Never get above 180 degrees, Mobile Delvac oil, massive cooler etc. I still love the AT.

Everything that @gimme a 60 a wrote is spot on.

I'm running 33's with a winch/front bumper, roof rack, rear bumper with swing outs, medium/heavy OME lift, stock gearing and a Rodney special auto tranny. It's a total pig. Braking is terrible, body roll is terrible and keeping it at highway speeds when any hills are involved is all but impossible.

But, I like it that way.

:flipoff2:

Upgrade to new 33s. You won't regret it.
haha thanks. I'm on the same wavelength. In the end of the day,I'm never in a hurry, care about how she does offroad, reliability/capability. I'd love the little extra bit of clearance at very low tire pressures.

Thanks yeah, I do like the long legs on the highways driving 80 here in Utah. I guess i"m curious how badly the 33's will effect highway driving, although I'm mostly offroad.
You will get a slight reduction in RPMs at highway speeds with 33s, which is good, but your engine will work harder on inclines.

You will also likely find that your odometer/speedometer are off after adding the 33s. My odometer/speedometer is off by about 15.5% (used GPS and compared with my analog gauges).

You will get a slight reduction in RPMs at highway speeds with 33s, which is good, but your engine will work harder on inclines.

You will also likely find that your odomete/speedometer are off after adding the 33s. My odometer/speedometer is off by about 15.5% (used GPS and compared with my analog gauges).
Gotcha yeah. I take my daughter to school every day in my 62. Its about 40 miles back and forth. Utah highway puts me constantly in this between 3rd and overdrive speed. Mainly was curious how much worse the 33's would make that trip.

Gotcha yeah. I take my daughter to school every day in my 62. Its about 40 miles back and forth. Utah highway puts me constantly in this between 3rd and overdrive speed. Mainly was curious how much worse the 33's would make that trip.
I think that the "ride" is actually improved with 33s, meaning that they smooth out the highway more than 31s. That's just my experience. I don't think that you'll regret the up-size at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom