OE Windshield NLA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been working with a glass guy to get my windshield replaced- he does all the installs for my local lexus dealer and has done many 80 series glass installs.

He's saying the OE glass is no longer available, both brown and blue, lexus & toyota.

Can anyone confirm? Do any of the parts gurus have access to double check this?

NLA confirmed

👋🏼

image.jpg

I'm not 100% sure if I got an OE part but about 6 months ago I had my windshield replaced at Safelite.

IME Safelite would not use OEM glass (any vehicle) unless you specifically asked your insurance company to authorize it. IME you have to be highly proactive if you want a specific brand of glass, particularly OEM as it can costs 5-10x the price of the cheaper stuff.

EDIT: and as discussed in the past it's a moot point as OEM glass for the 80 series is NLA.

Last edited:
So what are the options if the only choice is aftermarket? If you use an independent auto glass place, do you get choices on source and quality? What about if you smash the windscreen deliberately, or it happens when driving, and you have windscreen cover on insurance? I don't have windscreen cover as Australian insurance companies make you pay extra for it.

I have water leaking at both bottom corners of my front windscreen and need to get the glass replaced anyway as it has too many chips, etc. now. It's not original - some aftermarket brand. My main concern is going to be seeing what the state of the windscreen opening in the body is and hoping there isn't expensive to repair bodywork problems caused by rust and decay.

Also with the windscreen rubber seal, is a new OEM one that's a few years old ok or should I source a new new OEM one (presuming Toyota still makes or has them)?

No idea if this is available down under, but I've had a PPG glass on one of my 80's for at least 7 years (it was there when I bought it), and haven't had any problems to speak of. The weatherstripping (56121-60100) is still available, at least from PartSouq, and I wouldn't install windshield glass without it, no matter where the glass came from.
1660659242876.png

There are a number of OE glass options, I didn't check them all:
1660659398759.png

Amayma says they have it, but they've been known to lie...
1660659336806.png

I have PPG glass installed on my 94 and was done by an installation technician familiar with proper 80s procedure using the Toyota weatherstripping and epoxy. No leaks and no wind noise.
We have had several replaced by my closest Safelitte store. All have been satisfactory or better. One install on a white truck left a shadow line due to the generic gasket being a wee bit small. So I always supply my own OEM gasket.

The quality of the glass (or installation) you get might be luck of the draw depending on who runs glass installation shop. One reason to be proactive to ask which brands are available IMHO.

I recall when I asked Safe Lite what brand they used the answer I got was
"glass is glass" "it's all the same" --- but of course there can be differences in quality. Happened to me twice, cheapo wavy made-in-Chy-nna glass. After that I had OEM glass installed, perfect. Unfortunately that's no longer an option.

Here's an example of what appears to be a Made In Chy-nna windshield:

Note DOT614 in the photo below, that's apparently DOT's designation for Change( )hun glass, Pilkington's glass factory in Change( )hun Chy-nna.

FZJ80 Windshield Pilkington part number.png

So if you want to check where your windshield was manufactured take a look at this web site:

Last edited:
Amayama also will not ship glass - unless their policies have changed.

Also I've had some suggestions in another 80 series forum to get whoever does the installation to use something like Selleys D-Mastic (a non-curing sealer) along with a new OEM rubber.

The correct material to use is an ADHESIVE-SEALANT developed specifically for windshield installations. It's been discussed before that the windshield is figured into the safety of the vehicle (by the manufacturer) in the event of an accident ie: you don't want the windshield to pop out and go flying during a collision.

There are other brands of windshield adhesive but here's some examples made by 3M:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom