Moving up to 37’s, advice requested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 cruiser is coming up due for tires. I’ve had them for 7 years, and recently noticed an outer sidewall cut in one of them. I’m already geared for 37’s by the owner two titles ago, so I’m looking to bump it back up. I’m curious how far some have gone to prep for the swap. So far, here’s my plan.

1) change my 2” dobinson springs out for 3”. I’ve got MRA Shocks already, and those are staying. Other suspension components are Delta’s rear panhard bracket and 3L front control arms, and White lines sway bars along with Phil’s front sway bar disconnect.

2) I’m going to need a set of wheels. I’m leaning toward 18x8-9 but I have set my backspace yet

3) quality set of off-road oriented tires that won’t drive me nuts with hours on the road to get to the wilderness.

anything I’m missing? Thanks in advance. PFA
E56B4A0E-979A-4CBC-98A0-4D61D327B5BC.jpeg

My 96 cruiser is coming up due for tires. I’ve had them for 7 years, and recently noticed an outer sidewall cut in one of them. I’m already geared for 37’s by the owner two titles ago, so I’m looking to bump it back up. I’m curious how far some have gone to prep for the swap. So far, here’s my plan.

1) change my 2” dobinson springs out for 3”. I’ve got MRA Shocks already, and those are staying. Other suspension components are Delta’s rear panhard bracket and 3L front control arms, and White lines sway bars along with Phil’s front sway bar disconnect.

2) I’m going to need a set of wheels. I’m leaning toward 18x8-9 but I have set my backspace yet

3) quality set of off-road oriented tires that won’t drive me nuts with hours on the road to get to the wilderness.

anything I’m missing? Thanks in advance. PFA
View attachment 3081284

More lift.... I just can't believe that 37's can be cleared with a 3" lift.

I rub my 315/75-16's quite often with a 2" lift and 1" spacer in the front.....

you will need front and rear adjustable panhards, rear extended lower control arms to push the axle back .

Go 17's on wheels. Way more options for tires. Extend bump stops.
Should be good after that and what others have mentioned.

^^I agree with more lift. If not, you will need to limit your articulation considerably. Especially if you plan to keep your shocks that are optimized for a 2" lift. You will need to extend your bump stops to keep the tires from rubbing the fender wells and with a shorter shock you will also limit your down travel.
If you plan to keep the low lift and short shocks I would plan to do some considerable fender trimming. Unless of course you are not doing any rock crawling or off-camber trails.
Even with my Slee 6-inch lift I had to do some minor fender trimming to keep the 37s from rubbing when twisted up.

1) If you're a stickler for vibe-free, noise-free driving, you're likely opening up a drivetrain pandora's box by increasing lift height YMMV

2) 17s for sure like someone else has already mentioned (18s look horrible anyways)

3) Per pic, those old school Duratracs are quiet and reputable ATs, but tire tech continues to evolve at such a rapid pace it may be time to get the latest and greatest. The trend is MT tires with hwy mannerisms like an AT tire while retaining MT ruggedness (e.g. BFG KM3s). Hard pass on hybrid tires. You get all the MT weight without the MT tread while still being louder than ATs (e.g Nitto Ridge Grapplers).

Have fun!

you will need front and rear adjustable panhards, rear extended lower control arms to push the axle back .

Im hoping the panhard bracket will do the trick in the rear. I’ll add an Adjustable one to the front. It’s been on my list for a bit anyways.

^^I agree with more lift. If not, you will need to limit your articulation considerably. Especially if you plan to keep your shocks that are optimized for a 2" lift. You will need to extend your bump stops to keep the tires from rubbing the fender wells and with a shorter shock you will also limit your down travel.
If you plan to keep the low lift and short shocks I would plan to do some considerable fender trimming. Unless of course you are not doing any rock crawling or off-camber trails.
Even with my Slee 6-inch lift I had to do some minor fender trimming to keep the 37s from rubbing when twisted up.

Until I build the newer rig my wife has requested, the cruiser is more “overlander“ than I’d like. No serious rock crawling, more fire road with an occasional obstacle. So long as she doesn’t think I’m pushing the rig, I can get away with more, hence the desire for 37’s. Make the medium things look small. I’m open to trimming, just need to find a welder. Truck is already monstalined, so it’s not like I’m worried about paint.

1) If you're a stickler for vibe-free, noise-free driving, you're likely opening up a drivetrain pandora's box by increasing lift height YMMV

2) 17s for sure like someone else has already mentioned (18s look horrible anyways)

3) Per pic, those old school Duratracs are quiet and reputable ATs, but tire tech continues to evolve at such a rapid pace it may be time to get the latest and greatest. The trend is MT tires with hwy mannerisms like an AT tire while retaining MT ruggedness (e.g. BFG KM3s). Hard pass on hybrid tires. You get all the MT weight without the MT tread while still being louder than ATs (e.g Nitto Ridge Grapplers).

Have fun!

I had BFG ATKO’s 10 years ago. Loved them. Was torn on tire brand and style as the Duratracks aren’t available in 37’s. Was leaning toward either Grabber X3’s or the BFG KM3s. I’m wanting to travel back to WY, and CO for more exciting trails than I’ve got in VA. i still want good on road manners for the 3 days of travel it takes To get there and back again.

I run KM3's and love them, but they have hit a point that they aren't real quite. They have chunked up here and there too, due to trail wear. I tend to run the "hard" trails. Personally I love the tire noise, but that's just me.
They are 4ish years old. little more than 1/2 tread. I'm not nice to my tires, 5 Moab trips, 1 Rubicon trip, 1 Black Hills trip, and tons of trail time in Colorado. All trips driven to and from the trails except the Rubicon trip.

On a side note where in VA are you? I have some OME J springs front and rear for cheap if you want more lift. My 35's look small so I am putting shorter springs on.

Can the artic fenders be purchased or are they a full custom set up?
I have no idea, brotha. I imagine to do it right, it's a ton of work underneath. But damn it looks beautiful. Aesthetically hits the spot for me. My all time fav truck this. Gotta stop looking at it because it makes mine look like a Camry.

Why would you run 37’s? Sounds like you don’t need them almost any trail can be run with a 2” lift snd 35’s. I get it looks cool but it’s a waste of money and I’m sure your 1fz isn’t fast now and it sure won’t be with bigger tires. Not trying to discourage you just look at it objectively and financially. Also as you lift more it will require more fixes that can get endless chasing drivability issues.

In my eyes, would look even better with more tire, less sidewall aka 17s v 18s. Those aftermarket brakes would look even more filled out. You get more bang for your visual buck and less tearing up of your 80.
38x13.5r18 have more volume than 37x13.5r17 ;) Same amount of sidewall.

Also my brakes wont fit in those KMC Terra's

38x13.5r18 have more volume than 37x13.5r17 ;) Same amount of sidewall.

Also my brakes wont fit in those KMC Terra's

You're making my point.

I don't like Wilwoods, but gl with that kit! I'm def in the market for a well sorted brake package even if it means potentially giving up my deep dish KMCs.

You don’t need to lift it more to fit 37s. If you want to be able to fully cycle your shock, you’ll need to trim the fenders no matter what size lift you have, so why not just keep the springs you have. And like everybody else says, get 17. 17x9s with a -25 offset seem to fit nice.

You're making my point.

I don't like Wilwoods, but gl with that kit! I'm def in the market for a well sorted brake package even if it means potentially giving up my deep dish KMCs.
I do love a set of deep dish wheels on trucks. The Terra's are prob one of my favorite ones. But yeah sacrifices needed to be made. They'll fit a lot of 17's, just nothing with as much of a deep dish as those. If money was no object I'd have custom built Deerfield replicas in 18" with offset to clear the brakes as an ode to my wheels I had in NZ.

But anyways, sorry to derail OP. I'm also a fan of just keeping it at 3" height and just cut where you need to. Not a fan of limiting up travel. Maintain a low center of gravity. I'll be doing that once I have some radius arms in and push my axle forward some more and get a good gauge of what needs cutting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom