Replacement power door mirrors for FJ62? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jamieson22

SILVER Star
Threads
My power driver side door mirror no longer works and my passenger side works but is quite loud (wondering if its demise is coming). I have not had much luck in finding a functional used replacement and even if so I would love nice/new looking mirrors.

I found new set on CruiserParts and they said they order them in - priced at $440/$490 each (so like $900 total). Where the heck can they be ordered from? I checked local Toyota as well as the MegaZip/PartSouq. Just making sure I am not missing something on availability.

Another option is switching to the OEM manual mirrors ($275 total or so) - just not sure I want to give up a power "feature" my truck came with. Granted I don't adjust them much at all.

Have seen a few aftermarket options but most say they all suck. Prefer the stock mirrors vs Euro option.

So, what is the "definitive" FJ62 power mirror replacement option?

I wrote up how to move a functioning power unit from OEM mirrors to one of the OEM manual sets that are available, a few months ago. Like you, I don't move them much, but when I need to, having the 'luxury' of the switch is nice in what is otherwise a utility vehicle as compared to late model vehicles(no names)

The guy on Instagram in the Middle East - Binmahmoodstores - has them new OEM. In January, he quoted me $475 each plus shipping.

My power driver side door mirror no longer works and my passenger side works but is quite loud (wondering if its demise is coming). I have not had much luck in finding a functional used replacement and even if so I would love nice/new looking mirrors.

I found new set on CruiserParts and they said they order them in - priced at $440/$490 each (so like $900 total). Where the heck can they be ordered from? I checked local Toyota as well as the MegaZip/PartSouq. Just making sure I am not missing something on availability.

Another option is switching to the OEM manual mirrors ($275 total or so) - just not sure I want to give up a power "feature" my truck came with. Granted I don't adjust them much at all.

Have seen a few aftermarket options but most say they all suck. Prefer the stock mirrors vs Euro option.

So, what is the "definitive" FJ62 power mirror replacement option?
I fitted some 70 series power mirrors to my FJ62. Plugged right in and look stock! I’ll get pics later. There is the well know gap though between the base and the door. Easy to fill with a small piece of foam though.

I wrote up how to move a functioning power unit from OEM mirrors to one of the OEM manual sets that are available, a few months ago. Like you, I don't move them much, but when I need to, having the 'luxury' of the switch is nice in what is otherwise a utility vehicle as compared to late model vehicles(no names)

The guy on Instagram in the Middle East - Binmahmoodstores - has them new OEM. In January, he quoted me $475 each plus shipping.

Saw that thread, though I believe my motor is dead on my drivers and can't seem to find another. That IG guy seems more expensive that what I can get online in US.

I fitted some 70 series power mirrors to my FJ62. Plugged right in and look stock! I’ll get pics later. There is the well know gap though between the base and the door. Easy to fill with a small piece of foam though.
I kept seeing the 70 series in my searches thinking they look REAL close and price is reasonable. Would love if you took some pics!

Saw that thread, though I believe my motor is dead on my drivers and can't seem to find another. That IG guy seems more expensive that what I can get online in US.
I don't think what is available in the US is OEM. Seems like I have seen operating power mirrors for sale with the chrome in rough shape - obviously, all you need is the power unit.

Here is a link - Mirror for Toyota Land Cruiser 60, 7 generation, 2 restyling 08.1987 - 09.1989 - Toyota Car and Auto Spare Parts - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama - https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/land-cruiser/7-suv-right-60-1987-r-2795/electrics-4/mirror-394, however, I have run into them listing a part, ordering it and they come back with 'so sorry, not available'. I can't find a cross reference between the last couple of digits of the mirrors they show on the electric page and PartSouq's numbers.

Here is another option I just found - if it is available - they call it an actuator, but its the power unit.

I don't think what is available in the US is OEM. Seems like I have seen operating power mirrors for sale with the chrome in rough shape - obviously, all you need is the power unit.

Here is a link - Mirror for Toyota Land Cruiser 60, 7 generation, 2 restyling 08.1987 - 09.1989 - Toyota Car and Auto Spare Parts - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama - https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/land-cruiser/7-suv-right-60-1987-r-2795/electrics-4/mirror-394, however, I have run into them listing a part, ordering it and they come back with 'so sorry, not available'. I can't find a cross reference between the last couple of digits of the mirrors they show on the electric page and PartSouq's numbers.

Here is another option I just found - if it is available - they call it an actuator, but its the power unit.

This is completely incorrect information.

This is completely incorrect information.

Which part(s) are incorrect?

Are any of these the correct or functional OEM power mirror replacements for an FJ62? I think I am looking for the following but have learned just enough about chasing Toyota part #s to question myself:

Driver (LH): 87940-90A15
Passenger (RH): 87910-90A20

1660010163153.png

1660010170719.png

Which part(s) are incorrect?

Are any of these the correct or functional OEM power mirror replacements for an FJ62? I think I am looking for the following but have learned just enough about chasing Toyota part #s to question myself:

Driver (LH): 87940-90A15
Passenger (RH): 87910-90A20

View attachment 3081758

View attachment 3081759

My statement was for the previous person I quoted.

70 power mirrors. Smaller base and have a small gap to fill but the style is the exact same. I’m happy.
34FAE828-38CD-4A8E-B289-59080B5C8DB5.jpeg

If your bases are good, you may be able to even just swap the top chrome part onto the 60 base.

If your bases are good, you may be able to even just swap the top chrome part onto the 60 base.
Good thinkin'! Any idea how the base and mirror are connected? Worried it relies on now brittle plastic of some sort.
Also thanks for pic. I should take one of mine off and see what the paint looks like where it would now be exposed.

Good thinkin'! Any idea how the base and mirror are connected? Worried it relies on now brittle plastic of some sort.
Also thanks for pic. I should take one of mine off and see what the paint looks like where it would now be exposed.
I think it’s a some screws.
My rig was repainted at some point in its past… and they didn’t do the best job so I wasn’t surprised you can see the paint outline around the mirror. Hahaha. I don’t even notice it anymore. I do notice how nice and clear the mirrors are though :D

I can’t speak to the 70 mirrors, but for 62 mirrors, it’s all metal connections. The black metal frame goes into the hinge part of the mirror, and screws to a metal plate on the base.
48E43BF7-B1DC-42A3-82E6-03A3678079F2.jpeg

I can’t speak to the 70 mirrors, but for 62 mirrors, it’s all metal connections. The black metal frame goes into the hinge part of the mirror, and screws to a metal plate on the base.

Curious - Were you attempting a repair job on your motor in that pic? Or swapping the motor? I've been worried I'd break plastic if I tried to disassemble but seems doable?

Curious - Were you attempting a repair job on your motor in that pic? Or swapping the motor? I've been worried I'd break plastic if I tried to disassemble but seems doable?
I used a wide plastic pry bar with one hand and got my other hand under the mirror ~90* away and lifted. Both sides popped loose easily on the power mirror. The manual mirrors have a set screw that you access thru the hole in the bottom of the housing.

I was in there for a couple of things.

One was a broken piece of plastic - the glass is held in with a plastic ball joint, and this would probably be the only point I would be worried about breaking when disassembling. Mine did this step for me, the ball broke and the mirror fell out driving down the road.

The other was to try to restore power function to the mirror that stopped adjusting, turned out to be sheared off wires to the mirror - not really sure how that happened.

All that to say, the plastic ball joint is probably the weakest link in disassembly, but if you can pop the mirror glass out carefully, everything else is held together with screws and easy to do.
35BBF428-6555-493D-83B1-21CB3A8B0275.jpeg

Thanks @86aggie and @1989FJ. Will try to see if I can fix mine.

Thant said if not would be nice to know if any of the available part numbers above are like-kind replacements.

Totally happy with manual chrome OEM FJ62 mirrors from City Racer and literally only adjusted them when a tree fell on the mirror while 'wheeling. If you have different family members of different heights driving the truck, this might be more of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom