1989 FJ62 Ignition/Starter Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
I removed my dash to restore and replace the radio and interior (came out perfect!). After reinstalling, I have no power to the starter. Everything worked before I started the dash work. I have 12.84 volts on the battery, have dash lights (check engine), radio works, switches work, etc. I didn't replace the dash bulbs with LEDs (should have). I did install a sub woofer under the drivers seat but it works fine.
The AMP dash gauge dumos to the bottom when trying to start. No clicks, moans, whines - nothing.

Where should I start and what to check?

Thanks as always!

I removed my dash to restore and replace the radio and interior (came out perfect!). After reinstalling, I have no power to the starter. Everything worked before I started the dash work. I have 12.84 volts on the battery, have dash lights (check engine), radio works, switches work, etc. I didn't replace the dash bulbs with LEDs (should have). I did install a sub woofer under the drivers seat but it works fine.
The AMP dash gauge dumos to the bottom when trying to start. No clicks, moans, whines - nothing.

Where should I start and what to check?

Thanks as always!

you forgot to plug in your Electrical Ignition Key Switch , the round Rotary Switch , and it has a 18" black cord on it Gloss Loom wrapping up 8 10ga Wires that plug into the

main harness deep under the dash .....

1659918530879.png

1659918546071.png

1659918617197.png

you forgot to plug in your Electrical Ignition Key Switch , the round Rotary Switch , and it has a 18" black cord on it Gloss Loom wrapping up 8 10ga Wires that plug into the

main harness deep under the dash .....
Thanks for your reply! I need to clarify that i only removed the dash pad, instrument gauge panel and lower panel. I did not remove the entire dash assembly. The only connectors i disconnected were the 4 behind instrument panel and the lower panel switches ( antenna, defogger, etc)). I don’t recall the round connector you described.

It sounds like something is unplugged- but clean the battery posts and put a charger on it -then test the solenoid wire to see if its getting power when you turn the key?

Thanks for your reply! I need to clarify that i only removed the dash pad, instrument gauge panel and lower panel. I did not remove the entire dash assembly. The only connectors i disconnected were the 4 behind instrument panel and the lower panel switches ( antenna, defogger, etc)). I don’t recall the round connector you described.

NOT a round connector

THIS , is a NEW JAPAN Ignition Switch for your FJ62

study the BLACK SQUARE / Rectangle Male Connector Plug on the end with the 6 wires going into it ..........

you either left this disconnected or simply have a Blown fuse inside the dash fuse box or out in the engine bay fuses

- if you find this connected properly ?

- then use a test light or METER and see if the black wire w/ the red tracer stripe has B+ Voltage or not w/ key OFF and out of the ignition ?

1659921498422.png

1659921553614.png

1659921535106.png

Last edited:
It sounds like something is unplugged- but clean the battery posts and put a charger on it -then test the solenoid wire to see if its getting power when you turn the key?
I think you are close. It does sound like it is out of park? It would do this exact thing if it were not in park. How wouod I know FOR SURE that is in park?

NOT a round connector

THIS , is a NEW JAPAN Ignition Switch for your FJ62

study the BLACK SQUARE / Rectangle Male Connector Plug on the end with the 6 wires going into it ..........

you either left this disconnected or simply have a Blown fuse inside the dash fuse box or out in the engine bay fuses

- if you find this connected properly ?

- then use a test light or METER and see if the black wire w/ the red tracer stripe has B+ Voltage or not w/ key OFF and out of the ignition ?

View attachment 3080817

View attachment 3080820

View attachment 3080819
I will take the steering wheel clam cover off and see if the connections are good.

Matt - Thanks for the pics - no connectors unplugged. Let me modify my original post by saying I get nothing at the key but don't know if there is power to the starter. Obviously it isn't turning over and I need to check the starter solenoid. Any other thoughts?

You should indeed have B+ constant power at the key switch with the key OFF

This comes directly from the battery ,

So if used your test light at the key switch and nothing at any of the wires solder joints ?

Then your issue is NOT the starter

I never thought or suggested the key switch was bad here to be klear

Your no power issue then / now should be focused on your battery 🔋 to your key switch

- is Your battery fully charged or dead ?

- status of all your fusible links

- some times I assume to much , but I would have disconnected my battery 🪫 step 1 here , did u and did u reconnect it properly ?

- have you checked all your fuses yet ?

- start at your battery and work backwards to your key switch

- this is called Toyota’s. “ split half search method “

- also , use a test light you should have B+ voltage at your alternator Ring 💍 terminal too

Update: Seems that if you let a truck sit for weeks waiting on a new interior, things get bound up. A quick blow to the starter with a hammer and she starts right up! Now I have a NEW problem - the transmission will not engage in any gear! The check engine light is on and the ATP light on the shifter console is illuminated. None of this was happening before the interior went in. Any thoughts out there why the truck wont engage in gear? I checked the trans fluid level and it was fine.

Update: Seems that if you let a truck sit for weeks waiting on a new interior, things get bound up. A quick blow to the starter with a hammer and she starts right up! Now I have a NEW problem - the transmission will not engage in any gear! The check engine light is on and the ATP light on the shifter console is illuminated. None of this was happening before the interior went in. Any thoughts out there why the truck wont engage in gear? I checked the trans fluid level and it was fine.
Is the t-case in neutral?

What wires did you tap into for the radio?
I wired in a harness from Crutchfield. Easy peezy. The harness is super cheap and will fit a ton of Toyota vehicles. I put in a Boss Elite. Be careful of size cuz you may have to dremel the dash opening if you get the wrong unit. I have a virgin dash so no cuts on my baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom