Second row middle seat belt missing - retrofit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I seem to be missing the center seatbelt on my 80. I have the “luxury” package (so armrest in the back) like this - but while this picture has the center seatbelt, mine does not.

Would anyone have any idea what’s going on here? Can I retrofit this off a junker? Is it stashed away somewhere? (I did lift the seats …)

Also while I’m at it - I can’t seem to find any tether points for child seats. What are folks tethering to?

1659882174751.jpeg

I’ve had (4) 80 series Land Cruisers, US spec, and an LX 450, have never seen one without that center seatbelt.
My guess is someone removed it for some strange reason.
It’s possible Toyota still sells it?

This place has super low prices in my experience. The trick is going to be finding the correct color, there is a two digit modifier at the end of the 10 digit part number that specifies the color, sometimes after this many years they only produce the one color.

Center lap belt Earnhardt Toyota Scion

73350-60160​

I’ve had (4) 80 series Land Cruisers, US spec, and an LX 450, have never seen one without that center seatbelt.
My guess is someone removed it for some strange reason.
It’s possible Toyota still sells it?

Thanks, that was my suspicion. The car I got has an interesting story it would seem … the seller claimed it used to belong to the sultan of the country it comes from, and although I would usually discount this as total bs, I keep running into things in the car that are not standard GCC issue, or even more weird things (like OEM components for any repairs, which just doesn’t happen in the GCC), as well as an overall mint condition of the car … and now this sort-of conversion to a 2+2. Who knows. Maybe there’s some truth to the story. All’s I know is I have to hunt down a center seatbelt now :)

Also while I’m at it - I can’t seem to find any tether points for child seats. What are folks tethering to?
The tether + latch setup wasn’t standard in vehicles until 2001, so you won’t have any of the anchor points. Properly strapping a car seat in using the seatbelt only is fine, per SafeKids. BUT, Toyota sells an anchor that you can bolt to the floor of the rear cargo area to retrofit a tether.

1659891799988.jpeg

Last edited:
The tether + latch setup wasn’t standard in vehicles until 2001, so you won’t have any of the anchor points. Properly strapping a car seat in using the seatbelt only is fine, per SafeKids. BUT, Toyota sells an anchor that you can bolt to the floor of the rear cargo area to retrofit a tether.

View attachment 3080340
Nice. Thank you! That’s exactly what I will hunt down. Where does it bolt to?

Ok, so trolling ToyoDIY, it seems like the center wasn’t actually removed - it seems to be another in line of weird options that this car has.

There was actually an option to have only 2 seat belts in the back.

So this begs the question now. Can I retrofit 3-points from a normal car? I poked my finger into the C pillars and I can feel the hole there. Would anyone know if the captive nut is there, or is it a risk? I can’t take off the trim because it’s very carefully glued onto the C pillar so I’d likely damage it.

0E547B05-CEC2-4B4E-8B50-220B2D0E98A0.jpeg

Center seat is only a lap belt. Seems to be there in your original picture.

Center seat is only a lap belt. Seems to be there in your original picture.
It’s not … I have two outer lap belts. Further research on ToyoDIY says that this was one of the optioned configurations - two lap belts in the back, no center. This car was basically optioned as a 2+2 from the factory.

I’ve started looking for a full set of rear belts to just redo the whole back as a 2x3-point + 1 center … easier than just doing a center alone since that was never an offered option, it seems.

View attachment 3080340
Worth noting this varies by region. In Australia tether points were required by law. There's a row of three threaded holes on the roof along the back rear for attaching rated anchor points on Aussie models. Same is probably true in other regions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom