distributor FJ80 Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyvp

SILVER Star
Threads
So i bought a distributer from Cruiser Corps. I marked and removed my old distributer. (i did not set to TDC) Aligned my new distributer the same and it wont seat. I greased the O ring bc that's where it seems to be hanging up, but ive pushed hard to seat so something else must be an issue.
Ive reinstalled the old one like 6 times and check the alignment of this one. Any ideas? Did i get one out of spec?
The old one seems to maybe have a metal o ring? Or rather its flat and seems hard.

if you have a softer oring that is the one you need to be using if you can't put a new one on..... I am pretty confident that you are going to regret not putting a good oring on that even if you do get it to seat. on the 1fzfe's the oring causes a lot of leaking of oil, i would imagine it is the same for your setup.

out of curiosity, what caused you to make the change?

if you have a softer oring that is the one you need to be using if you can't put a new one on..... I am pretty confident that you are going to regret not putting a good oring on that even if you do get it to seat. on the 1fzfe's the oring causes a lot of leaking of oil, i would imagine it is the same for your setup.

out of curiosity, what caused you to make the change?
The distributer is so rusted and burned it wont spark anymore.
This is the oring that came on the distributer. I'll go to NAPA tomorrow and see if i can get a new one.

75623D64-08A4-4AF5-80A9-53825280D40A.jpeg

8B2997E4-A3CA-4AE8-B129-C254B44E7D5D.jpeg

OK gotcha. Yeah they should be soft. they can get extremely hard and when you remove them they will break apart.

Don't know if it's still available but you could try your local Toyota dealer for the O-ring. Then you know it will ift.

A new Oring did the trick. I had to find several different ones to try though.
For my distributor to be fully seated, the rotor moved 1 plug.
Can I adjust that out? Or do
I need to move the truck to TDC to get it correct now?

just pull it back out and move the rotor one tooth the other direction and see if that is enough. if not two.. just keep stabbing it until it lands where it is supposed to be...

I did that, but it will not seat all the way. There is about an 1/8” from seating fully. For it to set fully down on the base, it’s off by 1 plug I bet.

Are you not just turning the rotor? Sounds like you are trying to turn the whole housing. When i've done distributors i just wiggle the rotor back and forth close to where i need it to get it to mesh with the gears. Sounds like you are not meshing.

Are you not just turning the rotor? Sounds like you are trying to turn the whole housing. When i've done distributors i just wiggle the rotor back and forth close to where i need it to get it to mesh with the gears. Sounds like you are not meshing.
^^ This. I just went thru this myself; be patient, you will get it. If I remember correctly, the end of the distributor shaft has a flat cut out of it & must seat into the bottom of the oil pump that it sits in to seat all of the way down. In my case, the oil pump rotated a bit upon removal of distributor, causing misalignment/seating issues when I went to re-install... I used a screwdriver to slightly turn the oil pump so that I could slip the distributor back to my match mark when fully seated.

I used a screwdriver to slightly turn the oil pump so that I could slip the distributor back to my match mark when fully seated.
^^^^This^^^^
The rotational position of the oil pump does not matter as long as the flatblade end of the distributor slips in to the slot.

You say it's seating almost all the way just 1/8 inch left to go, if that's the case it's not the o-ring nor failure to engage the oil pump it's definitely bottoming out on something. At this point I would start checking to make sure there's no debris and measure the new one versus the old one to make sure that you don't have one that's out of spec.

I used a flat blade screw to adjust the oil pump just a bit and it slipped into place like it should.
I was about to adjust the truck to TDC and was reading the manual when I saw the section about adjusting the oil pump slot.
It’s purring like a kitten now.

New distributor seems to do well.
While in park the RPM’s stay around 1000.
While in drive and at idle the drop to around 700.
I do not remember this happening before the new distributor. Does this sound typical?

New distributor seems to do well.
While in park the RPM’s stay around 1000.
While in drive and at idle the drop to around 700.
I do not remember this happening before the new distributor. Does this sound typical?
You changed an major component.
Have you checked ignition timing?

Idle speed is set by the ECU which pushes the ISC valve, BUT mechanical adjustments have to be correct first.
Correct idle speed is 650 RPM at normal operating temp.

Last edited:
Yea we adjusted the timing some. It was dropping to around 500 he said.

after installing the dizzy, I twisted it to raise the RPM’s to be 1000.
I’m going to check the FSM to see what it says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom