Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I was just wondering what people had done as far as the roof rack options for a kzj-95? I am looking at putting a rtt on, and maybe a solar panel+battery. Then a Jerry can holder. Thanks for the input.

Jay

Hi Jay
If you haven't got a rack yet here's an option. This is what I put on my 95. I love this rack,it's super strong and has an extremely useful "T" slot system in the crossbars to allow simple attachments. I use it for my RTT as well and had a Solar panel up there for a trip.
Check out Frontrunner online. They are in the US but actually list the Prado.
Cheers... K

20210712_092635.jpg

20210712_092554.jpg

we could make you one at Gamiviti... would be able to include anything you've seen from any of the 55, 60, 70, and 80 series, as they all use the same tower system. Would just need a few measurements- send an email or PM if you'd like to explore that, thanks!

70 series rack, for one example:

yellow_70.4.JPG

Hi Jay
If you haven't got a rack yet here's an option. This is what I put on my 95. I love this rack,it's super strong and has an extremely useful "T" slot system in the crossbars to allow simple attachments. I use it for my RTT as well and had a Solar panel up there for a trip.
Check out Frontrunner online. They are in the US but actually list the Prado.
Cheers... K

Thanks Buggy,
Have you noticed that the rtt is too heavy for the non linked rack? Or does the tent itself anchor it well. That is a great lower cost option, though I think I would try to go with 3 crossbars.

-Jay

I built a frame that kind of links the crossbars together and provides a place for a cargo basket as well as a platform for lumber etc. or just standing on. I was planning to go with three crossbars but the end cost with our dollars was a bit much.
Three would be a good idea to transfer the load into your roof gutters.
The custom setup nakman suggested would be sweet. That's the beauty of the gutters. There's many options out there.
I personally preferred the original factory Toyo roof basket you see here on my previous RZJ with the six towers but I foolishly let it go with the rig. Not sure you would ever find one of those now unless someone wanted to let it go off their import.

Cheers

20211006_085651.jpg

20210411_193106.jpg

20210411_193123.jpg

20190514_182502.jpg

Reviving this thread. Has anybody had success finding cross bars that work with the factory rails?

I followed BuggyBoy's suggestion of the Frontrunner Cross Bar kits. I reached out to Frontrunner, and they set up a kit with 3 crossbars. These can fit over the factory rails, and each have a nut in the end that faces up/down, if you get yourself some 3/16th inch thick 2x2in aluminum angle bar you can easily set up a nice sturdy rack by linking the crossbars.

Thank you too to Nakman, who showed me an awesome looking rack that was just sadly a bit beyond what I could convince the wife to spend.

Kinda trapezoidish and yes, they need to be refinished. 41.5" apart between them
Well shoot, looks like you don't have any sort of track on the inside... which means you're left with a clamp-on method, not something that can bolt to the inside of the rail. I think that frontrunner solution mentioned above does it, also maybe you could find a set of Yakima lowrider mounts, if you want to add a set of round bars.

All of my solutions require bolting to the inside channel of the rail though unfortunately. hope this helps good luck!

I ordered a set of gutter mount bars from Frontrunner. If they clear the current bars, great. If not I'll take them off and fill the holes.

Fit like a glove and the Craigslist Yakima rack mounted right up! Thanks all!
I’ll get pictures posted up later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom