FJ45 Troopy Bows/Roll Bars and Soft Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Morning All!

Not sure if this belongs in "40- Series Tech" but doesn't seem like there is any other more appropriate forum. So...

I have a much-beloved '84 FJ45 RHD Troopy. She runs like a top and after many years of running her 100% hard top, I am seriously considering purchasing a soft top and changing tops as the season and preference permits.

My questions for anyone/everyone with relevant experience:

(1) Is there a reliable/high-quality soft-top vendor you would recommend? I previously created a soft top for a BJ42 and it came out great. While I can tackle the project, if there is someone out there who does it well (FJ45 Troopy tops), I'm happy for the business to go to them;

(2) Does anyone have experience with soft-top bows vs. full roll bars? I have seen at least one build with the roll bars and converting the rear benches into two more front-facing seats and half-size benches. I like that idea. But I digress...any experience/recommendations on full roll bars vs. soft-top bows?

(3) Any risk in taking hard top on/off based on the seasons here in the Northeast? I have a slight paranoia that nothing is wrong with the way she currently runs the hard top and removing it and the gasket underneath will start to introduce issues. Any advice there?

That's it for now (I think). As always, I appreciate the collective mud-mind's help as I consider this.

Best,
Evan

Troopy2.jpeg

Nice Troopy. I have it's LHD slightly older brother. I have pondered the same idea but haven't pursued it further than a google search or two. I did run across this company that makes the tops and/or full kits. They look nice from the photos but no personal experience with them whatsoever.

Last edited:
Nice Troopy. I have it's LHD slightly older brother. I have pondered the same idea but haven't pursued it further than a google search or two. I did run across this company that makes the tops and/or full kits. They look nice from the photos but no personal experience with them whatsoever.

Thanks - I found these folks as well on eBay as well. Don't know anything about them. As/if I find out more about them, I'll post it here.

I sourced factory softtop bows from australia and a top made in Columbia a few years ago. Real steel sells the bows.

6C6B9BB6-0101-44F6-A98D-37D4152323B1.png

E34481CA-BD31-43A5-B449-CCF0CA0AFC0A.png

I sourced factory softtop bows from australia and a top made in Columbia a few years ago. Real steel sells the bows.

View attachment 3077949

View attachment 3077950
Thanks Whitey! And you've been pleased with the quality/fit of both? Any changes you would make/recommendations? The big thing I'm contemplating is running factory bows vs. full roll bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom