What is a good outdoor watch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to add a data point for Garmin. I've had the Fenix 6x for the past two year and it has been flawless. I use it for everything from navigation, ABC ( Altitude, Barometer and Compass), fitness tracking, back country route tracking. When I'm using it for fitness ( 6 hours of backcountry skiing) I get 4 days battery life. When I'm just doing 1-2hrs of fitness tracking a day, I get 9 days of battery life. I'm very happy with the product, Just a happy customer, no affiliation with the company.

I'm look to replace my outdoor watch.

Any recommendations?

I currently use the solar casio pathfinder which has been good, but I'm looking to update it.

I like that is never needs a charge.
Critical features i use are solar, compass, barometer, alarm, timer, altimeter, tides.

I was looking at the new Garmin's they have built in gps now which links to inreach and they also have solar. The 7x seems to have everything except of night vision compatibility.

7x

Instinct solar

new casio path finder
I have an instinct and my previous watch was a Suunto Core. The gps feature on my Instinct watch never gets used. As an outdoor watch it is good and the battery life is great. I think the Core did everything I ever needed with a better user interface. With that said my Instinct is on my wrist now and will be for a long time.

Just to add a data point for Garmin. I've had the Fenix 6x for the past two year and it has been flawless. I use it for everything from navigation, ABC ( Altitude, Barometer and Compass), fitness tracking, back country route tracking. When I'm using it for fitness ( 6 hours of backcountry skiing) I get 4 days battery life. When I'm just doing 1-2hrs of fitness tracking a day, I get 9 days of battery life. I'm very happy with the product, Just a happy customer, no affiliation with the company.
How is the screen brightness? That's the only thing I don't really like about my Fenix 3. Considering an upgrade, but I'm also a real chap SOB...

I’ve been using the Fenix 6 for almost 3 last years and it’s been great. Sold the Apple Watch as soon as I got home and put on the Garmin. I really like the new Garmin Epix 2 as it’s the same as the Fenix 7 but has the Amoled screen.

I have the new Garmin Epix 2. Main decision point for me between the Epix and the Fenix is the AMOLED screen and battery life (because of the screen). I'm pretty happy with the watch and use it every weekend to track my skiing. The AMOLED screen is bright and detailed and will work better than the Fenix indoors or in the shade. However, the Fenix screen is much better in direct sunlight and will allow the watch (even non-Solar version) to last a very long time. The builtin world maps are great and the new touch screen capability makes it much easier to use compared to older Fenix watches.

damn, what's wrong with the sun? it comes up...GET THE F UP! n have breakfast. high in the sky....oh, better have some lunch. it sets...supper time, nighty night. also gives you compass points...at the same time without having to push buttons to change settings.
oh, it's overcast? just relax, you'll still get the basic time frames. compass points? again, just relax, sooner or later one of the celestial orbs will give you a reading.
can't lose a $300.oo(or what ever) time piece off your person that way. old school? you bet :flipoff2:
You mean when you are trips you and your buddies don't synchronize watches each morning? :)

I cant bring myself to have another device that I have to plug in everyday. I Like the simplicity. Ive owned many GShocks over the years and they will probably always be my go to watch. My current one is a solar and I hope its the last one I buy.

I like my Instinct Solar a lot. I bought it shortly before the instinct 2 was released. Battery usually lasts 26-28 days for me. It does everything I need but YMMV. I don't need mapping and I only track a bike ride every now and then. I do pay attention to my steps, stairs, sun exposure and body battery. I had some sort of corrupt workout files on the watch about a month ago that were eating battery in the background. I chatted with garmin support and ended up having to reset the watch to factory settings to force clear those files. Battery has been back to normal since then.

Another Garmin user. Swore I would never jump on the smart watch bandwagon. That said my Fenix 6 pro is a solid device. I use it in the same capacity as a bike computer and GPS, just in my wrist, for all outdoor activities. I don’t keep it connected to my phone as the notifications got annoying (to me that is).

image.jpg

Another Garmin user. Swore I would never jump on the smart watch bandwagon. That said my Fenix 6 pro is a solid device. I use it in the same capacity as a bike computer and GPS, just in my wrist, for all outdoor activities. I don’t keep it connected to my phone as the notifications got annoying (to me that is).

View attachment 3065414
You may not personally want any notifications. But FYI you can change what all notifications are pushed to the watch within notification settings on your phone. I only have imessage/text and calendar alerts coming to mine.

You may not personally want any notifications. But FYI you can change what all notifications are pushed to the watch within notification settings on your phone. I only have imessage/text and calendar alerts coming to mine.
Thanks. I’ll look into that.

Another vote for the Garmin Fenix. I do a bit of running and nearly everyone who is doing serious kms are using a Fenix.
I got my Fenix 5 three years ago for a race as it has two major points:
1) Longest battery life at 25ish hrs
2) You can use it while it's charging. A lot of watches will go into standby when they are charging, which means I need to have two watches for a long race.

The other good thing about the Fenix range is that the screens are highly configurable. There is a list of about 200 odd metrics that is tracks, and you can choose which ones you want to see. So if you give a s*** about max heart rate, vs average heart rate, vs current heart rate, you can have all of this data on a screen to review during the workout.

I don't though. I strip is all back, turn off all notifications, and basically only track distance and time. But it's rock solid at that, and has never let me down. And the battery life is still very good, lasting more than 20hrs.

I’m an analog man in a digital world. I appreciate the Garmins and the fitbits and whatnot but its still hard to beat a solid tool watch made to government spec… Marathon GSAR with Government marks.

5696A4E5-9389-4D47-8955-9AFB89EF33B6.jpeg

I'm look to replace my outdoor watch.

Any recommendations?

I currently use the solar casio pathfinder which has been good, but I'm looking to update it.

I like that is never needs a charge.
Critical features i use are solar, compass, barometer, alarm, timer, altimeter, tides.

I was looking at the new Garmin's they have built in gps now which links to inreach and they also have solar. The 7x seems to have everything except of night vision compatibility.

7x

Instinct solar

new casio path finder

I have the older 5x. I've had it 4 years and it's worked flawlessly. 2+ weeks battery life when Bluetooth is off. Screen looks new. If I needed a new watch the 7x is the way I'd go

Casio G-Shock Mudman Team Land Cruiser Toyota Auto Body Tie-up Model GWG2000TLC1A. But good luck finding one. I love my Master of G Mudman GGB100-1A3.

I've been wearing a Fenix 5x since 2015ish, I only take it off to charge it once every 8-10 days. I put it through the ringer with bathing, boating, and absolutely beating it up while working in the shop. It has a few scuffs, and the base has some leftover Killz that I didn't wash off in time.. but I can't recommend it enough. Been waiting for it to die so I can upgrade to a newer model, but it just keeps going and really does everything I need.

Casio G-Shock, nothing too fancy, but this one is going on 10 years old, only on the second battery from new and it has taken a beating. Welding spatter, hydraulic oil, mud, sand, paint, cow****, you name it, its worn it at some point. Still my daily watch because I "need" a watch to have Time, Date & Day readout. Those Fenix things look cool though.....
Casio G-Shock.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom