Something is broken on the bottom of my land cruiser and I'm having death wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Various Pics:
Specifically, I think it's this bushing(?) bushing

What is this called?
Where can I buy one?
Can I fix it myself with mechanics tools, or does this require a hydraulic press?

Thanks in advance!
The panhard bushing on the bar that goes side tom side on your axle is blown out.

It is yellow, so it appears someone has placed aftermarket parts in the suspension of your truck.

We all recommend going back to Toyota brand suspension bushings, as they last longer and are more durable than the aftermarket stuff.

Yes, you will get death wobble because of this. Drive slower and keep cautious. Will you die from this? No. You can limp it home, but it needs to be addressed very soon.

You can do these yourself with a press or pay someone else to do them.

I would recommend you go through and do ALL your suspension bushings at one time because it is apparent that the polyurethane bushings installed have reached the end of their life span.

The panhard bushing on the bar that goes side tom side on your axle is blown out.

It is yellow, so it appears someone has placed aftermarket parts in the suspension of your truck.

We all recommend going back to Toyota brand suspension bushings, as they last longer and are more durable than the aftermarket stuff.

Yes, you will get death wobble because of this. Drive slower and keep cautious. Will you die from this? No. You can limp it home, but it needs to be addressed very soon.

You can do these yourself with a press or pay someone else to do them.

I would recommend you go through and do ALL your suspension bushings at one time because it is apparent that the polyurethane bushings installed have reached the end of their life span.
Thank you. I have never heard of a panhard bar, so this is very helpful.

If I were to use this as an excuse to buy a press, does the panhard bar need to be removed, or can it be done from under the vehicle. Guessing the latter.

Thanks again!

Thank you. I have never heard of a panhard bar, so this is very helpful.

If I were to use this as an excuse to buy a press, does the panhard bar need to be removed, or can it be done from under the vehicle. Guessing the latter.

Thanks again!
It must be removed.

Harbor Freight 20T press is best used for these. If you think you can do it yourself, this is the best route to go and you'll save $$$ doing this.

Buy ALL your rubber parts and bushings from www.partsouq.com and they will be Toyota parts. Rubber parts from the Middle East will be way less expensive than you can find domestically.

Another source for parts is Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online - https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/

Also Wits' End, Solutions for Problems You Didn't Know You Had - https://absolute-wits-end.com/ is an excellent supplier

Do you have a lift kit on the truck? If so, how much, as you may have offset bushings installed and those need to go away and install caster plates instead.

New rabbit hole for you to go down.

It is also recommended that you purchase NEW hardware to go with your new bushings. Read up on wehat NOT to do and then specify the proper torque on all the bolts / nuts.

We can walk you through it and there are plenty of videos about it (Otramm)

The HF 12T works fine, borrowed one from a guy at work.
You'll need a set of bushing press adaptors or some steel tubes/pipe and a lathe to make them.
Witts End makes/sells a set.

Last edited:
I went the HF press route.
You WILL NEED press adapters with that POS.

Ended up having them pressed in for far less than the cost of the press, much less the adapters. Unless you find yourself pressing bushings alot, it's just not worth the cap ex imo.

BTW, new HF press for sale. Half used, once. Cheap. Pickup only.

@LandLocked93

I'm with you, even with a press and the adaptor kit the job was a pita.

Much smarter to just remove the parts and take it to a shop and pay an hour or two of labor.

I would only recommend buying a press and going the DIY route if you had other uses for the press.

This is a HELL of a lot of good info. Thanks!

It must be removed.

Harbor Freight 20T press is best used for these. If you think you can do it yourself, this is the best route to go and you'll save $$$ doing this.

Buy ALL your rubber parts and bushings from www.partsouq.com and they will be Toyota parts. Rubber parts from the Middle East will be way less expensive than you can find domestically.

Another source for parts is Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online - https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/

Also Wits' End, Solutions for Problems You Didn't Know You Had - https://absolute-wits-end.com/ is an excellent supplier

Do you have a lift kit on the truck? If so, how much, as you may have offset bushings installed and those need to go away and install caster plates instead.

New rabbit hole for you to go down.

It is also recommended that you purchase NEW hardware to go with your new bushings. Read up on wehat NOT to do and then specify the proper torque on all the bolts / nuts.

We can walk you through it and there are plenty of videos about it (Otramm)

@LandLocked93

I'm with you, even with a press and the adaptor kit the job was a pita.

Much smarter to just remove the parts and take it to a shop and pay an hour or two of labor.

I would only recommend buying a press and going the DIY route if you had other uses for the press.
100% agree.
My local NAPA "buddy" did all 18 that required a press for ~$200.

Buying a press may depend on what you need for future as well.

One thing I liked about having the press in my hands, is I could remove a part, change the bushings and reinstall. I didn't have to jack up the truck, set it on jack stands, or load up parts and go elsewhere. It allowed me to work more at my convenience without having to support axles, support the frame, and all that.

You're in AZ, so MAYBE you can get by with a 12T, but here in the Midwest, there is no way a 12T will work. I maxed out my 20T numerous times, then walked away and let it set for 20 minutes, come back, hit it with a hammer to shock it to release.

i had to whack the top cross member of the 12T with a dead blow on a couple of the bushings.
When I installed the new ones I coated the sleeves with never seez. Hopefully they'll come back out a little easier at some far off future date.

I made myself a mini press with about $30-40 of steel, a half hour with a MIG welder, and 6t bottle jack I already had.

I used it for several bushing changes, and a bunch of other projects.

It sat collecting dust under my work bench most the time, so I scrapped it when I moved and had limited space.
The number of times I've wanted it since makes me wish I kept it

I made myself a mini press with about $30-40 of steel, a half hour with a MIG welder, and 6t bottle jack I already had.

I used it for several bushing changes, and a bunch of other projects.

It sat collecting dust under my work bench most the time, so I scrapped it when I moved and had limited space.
The number of times I've wanted it since makes me wish I kept it
Never get rid of tools...EVER... that is a hard lesson.

If any body needs a ball joint press tool for a RAM 1500 let me know... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom