I've lost all enthusiasm for my truck, let me vent please.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That sucks, man. It reminds me of when I took my 80 to a local fabricator to ask about having a front bumper made. I told him what I had in mind, he said he could do that. I said I wanted it powder coated, he said he likes to use Line-X so the welds don't have to look so clean. Hmm... I asked if he had ever made a bumper for an 80 Series and he said no. I walked and bought a Slee Short Bus. Yes, buy once, cry once.
I'm sorry for your loss, but I hope you can revive your rig and enjoy it. These are great trucks, as you know. You just got bit, kinda bad. Considering the amount of money you're talking about, and that your truck is still drivable, I would say that things could be worse.
I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck.

He put the sliders on but he cut the cats off to do it and was welding them back on, did this without asking me.
I wonder what his favorite flavor of meth is.

Just work on something else for awhile. I started my rear bumper like three years ago. I was close to finished when I realized that there was excessive warpage of the top plate that would make mounting it impossible or nearly so. Cut the bad parts out, organized it, and just left it. I'll probably get around to it early this fall. No biggie, I've got other stuff to get done and there's no reason to ruminate on unproductive things.

I can't get over the fact that he cut up your factory exhaust system. Just WTF...

Time to sell.
Give you $1500.

I wonder what his favorite flavor of meth is.

Just work on something else for awhile. I started my rear bumper like three years ago. I was close to finished when I realized that there was excessive warpage of the top plate that would make mounting it impossible or nearly so. Cut the bad parts out, organized it, and just left it. I'll probably get around to it early this fall. No biggie, I've got other stuff to get done and there's no reason to ruminate on unproductive things.

I can't get over the fact that he cut up your factory exhaust system. Just WTF...

You joke but funny because that's actually where my head ended up on all of it, the guy is on drugs or something....

Most of the time someone uses a bracket or something that goes around the cats right? Doesn't it kinda negate the purpose of a slider if the cats are over the leg of it?

I was pretty pissed about that too, when I bought the truck I was happy the stock exhaust was in such great shape on it...🤦🏻‍♂️

Hopefully he didn't sell the cats to buy more meth....

You joke but funny because that's actually where my head ended up on all of it, the guy is on drugs or something....

Most of the time someone uses a bracket or something that goes around the cats right? Doesn't it kinda negate the purpose of a slider if the cats are over the leg of it?

I was pretty pissed about that too, when I bought the truck I was happy the stock exhaust was in such great shape on it...🤦🏻‍♂️
Yes, the premade, bolt on, sliders have the leg shaped to go around (under) the CAT. You would not want them below the slider, they will get destroyed. I built my sliders so I actually did cut the CATs off and raised the whole system up to get better ground clearance but even then I had to shape the leg for the slider around the system.

You said he assembled the NWTI bumper. Is it not fully done? If it's welded together it should just bolt on unless he screwed up the assembly.

Yes, the premade, bolt on, sliders have the leg shaped to go around (under) the CAT. You would not want them below the slider, they will get destroyed. I built my sliders so I actually did cut the CATs off and raised the whole system up to get better ground clearance but even then I had to shape the leg for the slider around the system.

You said he assembled the NWTI bumper. Is it not fully done? If it's welded together it should just bolt on unless he screwed up the assembly.

That's what I'm worried about in regards to the bumper, it's apparently all assembled so why isn't it slapped on the truck? I should probably contact NWTI and ask them for a set of instructions to get an idea of what I'm dealing with here....not looking forward to it.

Picked her up last night, aside from a few small things he didn't have time to get to because I said I was coming to get it he did finish it. He put one cat back on and left the other off so that it fits under the slider. He also painted both the slider and bumper in bed liner instead of satin black, really wish he hadn't done that. On my way to get a new battery.....

Sympathize with your plight and angst. Had a similar death-spiral "repair" experience and was not enjoyable.

Maybe the bed liner stuff will come off easy. I really like using the VHT wheel paint for bumpers and stuff. Seems durable and can be touched up. Just think, you could have threatened to pick up the truck a month or so ago and he would have made it happen.

Maybe the bed liner stuff will come off easy. I really like using the VHT wheel paint for bumpers and stuff. Seems durable and can be touched up. Just think, you could have threatened to pick up the truck a month or so ago and he would have made it happen.

I don't mind the stuff itself it just doesn't match the ARB front now, the sliders being bed lined isn't the worst thing as they have grip now to be used as steps. I was thinking to just spray satin black over the liner on the bumper, is that not the best idea?

Just be grateful you have more than 1 vehicle and can afford to pay someone to work on your rig and afford non critical items like interior.

Be grateful for your health, be grateful for the fact that the biggest problem in your life is not getting a bumper finished on a hobby vehicle like a 80 series. Be grateful your not starving, dying, or fighting for your life.

Be grateful that your biggest stress in life is having problems getting your vehicle finished.

Be patient and get the rig dialed in. Than you will be happy. And if your not happy at that point sell it and start over.
Having spent a good part of my life being ill, I wholeheartedly agree!

I don't mind the stuff itself it just doesn't match the ARB front now

I wouldn't worry about it. It's very much functional on the sliders, not so much the bumper. If you're worried about the color or sheen, give it a year of use and they'll probably look pretty similar.

I don't mind the stuff itself it just doesn't match the ARB front now, the sliders being bed lined isn't the worst thing as they have grip now to be used as steps. I was thinking to just spray satin black over the liner on the bumper, is that not the best idea?
Well i don't think it will hurt it. I would imagine he used Berliner to hide the ugly welding ha. But ugly doesn't mean weak so i am sure paint won't really hurt the bed liner. Is the bed liner at least black?

Well i don't think it will hurt it. I would imagine he used Berliner to hide the ugly welding ha. But ugly doesn't mean weak so i am sure paint won't really hurt the bed liner. Is the bed liner at least black?

Weld actually look great all around, don't think the guy was bad at what he does just lazy as s***. As black as bedliner gets I suppose, I got her home sprayed it satin put the basket rack on did a few other things. She looks real pretty not gonna lie, felt good to drive her. Wish I could stay and work on her all night but I have a wedding to go to.....

Tell me you have zero patience without telling me you have zero patience....

6A02C0BD-256E-4019-8053-4AEA0964E4C0.jpeg

Been waiting way too long to finish her, went solo dolo on it.

Got those gutter mounts on nice and tight, not gonna lie though they are not exactly confidence inspiring....how stout are these 25 year old gutters exactly?!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom