Steering Column Firewall Gasket - 1969 (8/68) FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 54 years my firewall gasket surrounding my steering column with three on the tree has finally begun to disintegrate. I can buy an aftermarket gasket and cut a space for the gear shift but before doing this, I wanted to see if there is a material (like a paste or putty) that I can use to pack around the steering column and serve the same purpose of the gasket?

Did you try Toyota Matt? He carries a wide assortment of OEM grommets including for the firewall.
Thanks! I will try my "sort of local" Toyota dealership (50 miles away). They get overnight delivery service on most OEM parts.

New question: Is the gasket split so that it can be installed easily? Or, do I have to disconnect the steering column/gear shift to install the gasket?

Thanks! I will try my "sort of local" Toyota dealership (50 miles away). They get overnight delivery service on most OEM parts.

New question: Is the gasket split so that it can be installed easily? Or, do I have to disconnect the steering column/gear shift to install the gasket?
No it's not split, but you can cut one. I removed the steering wheel and blinker stock, then slid it down the steering column. Pretty easy but tight tolerances.
Toyota # 55122-60011 (steering column hole shield), and replace the #90480-45092 (steering clamp grommet)

No it's not split, but you can cut one. I removed the steering wheel and blinker stock, then slid it down the steering column. Pretty easy but tight tolerances.
Toyota # 55122-60011 (steering column hole shield), and replace the #90480-45092 (steering clamp grommet)
I did the same recently on my '69 and '71. While you have it torn down that far, you may as well install a new turn signal switch & assembly. They're around $100 from toyota. Some part #'s in the photos here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom