I've lost all enthusiasm for my truck, let me vent please.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So picked up the truck last October was really happy to have an 80 again, the lease on my GX didn't expire until late March so figured I had plenty of time to build it up and have it ready to replace it......I was selling the GX for a nice big chunk of change in extra equity since cars had gone nuts.

Got a lot done on her, everything I could do myself anyway, also had it painted, tires, baselined....lots of other stuff yada yada yada and gathered up all the new and replacement parts to make her comfy and pretty. Last things that were left that I couldn't do myself were the sliders and rear bumper, I found a local welder/mechanic who was enthusiastic to take on the job and did good work from what I saw. Dropped it off in early March thinking I was cutting it close but I had time and I did have a second car although not one I should have been using as a daily.

It's now 5 months later and I'm picking the truck back up tomorrow unfinished.

I gave the guy every benefit of the doubt, way more than I should have obviously, he kinda had me over a barrel because if I just said screw you I'm taking it back then I was back at square one. So every week it was "I'll get it done this weekend" or "I got hurt on the job" or whatever other excuse he had. Honestly he's not a bad guy it seems like he's just really lazy and maybe the work was more than he could handle. But there I go making excuses for him...it's become a running joke amongst my family and friends "Frankie when are you getting your truck back", whereas I was giddy talking about it before.

Either way it is what it is I'm done with him, I told him I don't care whatever condition it's in I'm picking it up tomorrow.

He put the sliders on but he cut the cats off to do it and was welding them back on, did this without asking me. He assembled the NWTI rear bumper kit but didn't put it on, that one I'm completely lost on I have to get it in my hands to see what else needs to be done I'm worried it's not a good thing that he assembled it as whoever finishes it for me now won't be able to make heads or tails of it.

So I'm pretty much back to where I was 5 months ago I have to go find a new welder., need my cats welded back on if they even can be and need the rear bumper put on. Mind you I still have pretty much an entire interior to put in it, I bought a refinished interior and a few dozen other small things I need to do including sound deadening which is all going to take time. So what......another month minimum before I can even use the truck? That's assuming I find a competent welder, all the while racking up more miles and destroying my other car which I definitely should not be driving daily in Michigan.

I'm just venting and frustrated don't mind me, at this point I don't even want the truck anymore I'm hoping when I get it back that changes and I'll feel like I reunited with an old friend like I did when I first picked her up. Prices on Toyota trucks are starting to come back to earth for the common ones, I've caught myself looking at a few GX and 4 runners lately....this whole thing has just put a really bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
So picked up the truck last October was really happy to have an 80 again, the lease on my GX didn't expire until late March so figured I had plenty of time to build it up and have it ready to replace it......I was selling the GX for a nice big chunk of change in extra equity since cars had gone nuts.

Got a lot done on her, everything I could do myself anyway, also had it painted, tires, baselined....lots of other stuff yada yada yada and gathered up all the new and replacement parts to make her comfy and pretty. Last things that were left that I couldn't do myself were the sliders and rear bumper, I found a local welder/mechanic who was enthusiastic to take on the job and did good work from what I saw. Dropped it off in early March thinking I was cutting it close but I had time and I did have a second car although not one I should have been using as a daily.

It's now 5 months later and I'm picking the truck back up tomorrow unfinished.

I gave the guy every benefit of the doubt, way more than I should have obviously, he kinda had me over a barrel because if I just said screw you I'm taking it back then I was back at square one. So every week it was "I'll get it done this weekend" or "I got hurt on the job" or whatever other excuse he had. Honestly he's not a bad guy it seems like he's just really lazy and maybe the work was more than he could handle. But there I go making excuses for him...it's become a running joke amongst my family and friends "Frankie when are you getting your truck back", whereas I was giddy talking about it before.

Either way it is what it is I'm done with him, I told him I don't care whatever condition it's in I'm picking it up tomorrow.

He put the sliders on but he cut the cats off to do it and was welding them back on, did this without asking me. He assembled the NWTI rear bumper kit but didn't put it on, that one I'm completely lost on I have to get it in my hands to see what else needs to be done I'm worried it's not a good thing that he assembled it as whoever finishes it for me now won't be able to make heads or tails of it.

So I'm pretty much back to where I was 5 months ago I have to go find a new welder., need my cats welded back on if they even can be and need the rear bumper put on. Mind you I still have pretty much an entire interior to put in it, I bought a refinished interior and a few dozen other small things I need to do including sound deadening which is all going to take time. So what......another month minimum before I can even use the truck? That's assuming I find a competent welder, all the while racking up more miles and destroying my other car which I definitely should not be driving daily in Michigan.

I'm just venting and frustrated don't mind me, at this point I don't even want the truck anymore I'm hoping when I get it back that changes and I'll feel like I reunited with al old friend like I did when I first picked her up. Prices on Toyota trucks are starting to come back to earth for the common ones, I've caught myself looking at a few GX and 4 runners lately....this whole thing has just put a really bad taste in my mouth.
You need a hug, but since this is mud...

You'll get :slap: a dope slap!
your horse isn't dead yet:deadhorse:

hang in there and you'll be:steer: in no time :clap::beer:

Last edited:
Is there any Cruiser Heads out near SE Michigan that can help out with finding a Land Cruiser shop or a off road shop?

Is there any Cruiser Heads out near SE Michigan that can help out with finding a Land Cruiser shop or a off road shop?

I've tried, in fact I've been trying for decades now finding a shop anywhere close to me that knows cruisers. I regretfully sold my first 80 simply because I couldn't find anyone experienced to work on her and I got tired of her going from one hack to the next. I decided to tackle a lot of things myself thinking screw it I'll get it done this time and did find a kid who knew 80's he did some work for me, but I don't weld....sounds like I'm back to the same problem.

Been there multiple times on car projects. While I can do maintenance, I dont have the time to take on restoration or "projects" myself. It is always longer and larger than anticipated when in others hands. If you think there is a month of work left, you probably have 90 days at best. It will pass and you will have a car again, but I would seriously consider putting yourself in a position that doesn't necessitate the vehicle being completed in any set period of time. Projects are to be enjoyed and are to be done well, so they don't have to be repeated. Even renting a car for 90 days would be cheaper than the loss if selling it as-is or blowing unnecessary money to attempt to entice someone to complete it to a strict schedule. Best of luck; all passes, for better or worse, lol.

Place seat in truck. Start truck. Joy returns. I don’t like depending on others to fix my junk (read treasure). Obviously the individual in question got in over their head and/or life kicked him in the keister.

The age of the truck makes it a hobby at best. I write this to remind myself that five years ago I parked my beloved. Ive had four awesome rigs since then but none compares to her. I want to love that truck again too.

Start with what you can control. Buy a camry and tackle small bites of the bigger project.

Just be grateful you have more than 1 vehicle and can afford to pay someone to work on your rig and afford non critical items like interior.

Be grateful for your health, be grateful for the fact that the biggest problem in your life is not getting a bumper finished on a hobby vehicle like a 80 series. Be grateful your not starving, dying, or fighting for your life.

Be grateful that your biggest stress in life is having problems getting your vehicle finished.

Be patient and get the rig dialed in. Than you will be happy. And if your not happy at that point sell it and start over.

Well right now it sounds to me to find a muffler shop to weld the cats back on... bumpers are optional unless cops give ticket in that area.
There are a bunch of bolt on bumper option out there to choose from... Trail Gear is on the cheap end all the way up to Slee, 4x4labs, Dissent, Bumpit, NWI, Coastal are a few.

WOW! I can't imagine giving a guy my truck for that long for a bumper.

As a person that deals with LOTS of fab shops across the country, this guy's should have had it for a couple days to take measurements and make drawings or cardboard cutouts, then let you have it back while he cuts and builds. Then come back prior to finish welding, then after finish welding, then after paint.

Each time he could test fit and make any mods.

I have access to shops that build stuff for a living. Even I can't have one made and include my time to make a drawing to build one for significantly less than I could buy one for and have it look similar.

If you have no one to work on it, why not buy bolt on parts like Slee, ARB, or Delta? In the long run it's less hassle and less money.

WOW! I can't imagine giving a guy my truck for that long for a bumper.

As a person that deals with LOTS of fab shops across the country, this guy's should have had it for a couple days to take measurements and make drawings or cardboard cutouts, then let you have it back while he cuts and builds. Then come back prior to finish welding, then after finish welding, then after paint.

Each time he could test fit and make any mods.

I have access to shops that build stuff for a living. Even I can't have one made and include my time to make a drawing to build one for significantly less than I could buy one for and have it look similar.

If you have no one to work on it, why not buy bolt on parts like Slee, ARB, or Delta? In the long run it's less hassle and less money.

Looking back on it I absolutely should have went with the bolt on, I didn't because the ones I wanted had a long wait....well yea how did that work out for me 🤦🏻‍♂️

Cut cats off for slider install? Run, run away as fast as you can. Get a muffler shop to fix the exhaust. If you baselined it you can install sliders no problem. Punt on the idea of cheap weld-ons. Metaltech, slee, etc. buy once, cry once enjoy for years to come.

Learn a new skill, spend the time doing the work yourself, fall in love with the project when the sweet satisfaction hits you.

Profit.

Then go do hard trail that makes you sweat and realize that solid axle cars are great and you missed something this capable and you never want to let it go

I slapped a rear bumper and sliders on my 80 by myself on a Saturday afternoon. Granted I bought both pre-assembled, since I don't weld. Maybe rethink that strategy.

I've lost enthusiasm for mine a few times over the years when it's sat and been un-driveable for extended periods. But getting in it and driving it always makes me happy with it again.

The fun is in the driving, and the adventures.
If you're so inclined, finishing off projects and appreciating how they have enhanced your use of the vehicle adds to the experience.
Having unfinished projects can be frustrating for sure. Having someone else do work you're not happy with would suck.

Get the cats welded back in, and get the it into a state you can drive it and reassess

Do the interior a bit at a time so you can still get in it and razz down to the shops etc and enjoy driving it a bit, and enjoy it coming together.

Learn from this experience, and agree to time frames for the truck to be in a shop like @BILT4ME suggested

I can accept my truck sitting untouched when it's me doing a project, no way I'd accept it from a business, I work too hard to earn my money. I ain't gonna give it to some incompetent boob to have him dick me around for months on end.

The only reasons for me taking my truck to someone else would be either , I don't have the skills to do something, or I want it done NOW so I can be driving my truck again ASAP

What work did the slacker actually complete and what is he charging you??

What work did the slacker actually complete and what is he charging you??

Kut Snake fender flares which I could have done myself but he was supposed to weld the OEM flare holes which he didn't do. The kut snake flares fit like s***, he did have to alter them quite a bit to get them to fit somewhat well. That was a waste of money I could have just bought the cheap china ones instead because the premium I paid for the kut snake certainly did not amount to anything better coming out of them.

He put XO fab sliders on and primed them but again he cut the cats off to do it, he didn't even ask me about this. His plan was to fit them around the leg of the slider I suppose? I don't think that is the right way to go about it at all but what's done is done. I would have happily went with some bolt ones even if they had cost more but I went with the XO fab because they were readily available....yea that didn't exactly work out well.

He assembled the NWTI rear bumper but hasn't put it on. Again went with NWTI because it was readily available and the bolt on ones had waiting lists spanning months, again yea.....don't even have to say it.

Changed the starter, it just happened to go out while he had the truck.

There were a few other smaller things that he was supposed to do that I figured might as well have him knock out while he had it, he didn't do these things obviously.

I have paid him $1100 so far and was supposed to pay him another $500, don't ask why it ended up that way it's a long story, he is not getting that $500 obviously. I'm curious if he's going to try and be cute about that, I really don't want to make this personal.....

Kut Snake fender flares which I could have done myself but he was supposed to weld the OEM flare holes which he didn't do. The kut snake flares fit like s***, he did have to alter them quite a bit to get them to fit somewhat well. That was a waste of money I could have just bought the cheap china ones instead because the premium I paid for the kut snake certainly did not amount to anything better coming out of them.

He put XO fab sliders on and primed them but again he cut the cats off to do it, he didn't even ask me about this. His plan was to fit them around the leg of the slider I suppose? I don't think that is the right way to go about it at all but what's done is done. I would have happily went with some bolt ones even if they had cost more but I went with the XO fab because they were readily available....yea that didn't exactly work out well.

He assembled the NWTI rear bumper but hasn't put it on. Again went with NWTI because it was readily available and the bolt on ones had waiting lists spanning months, again yea.....don't even have to say it.

Changed the starter, it just happened to go out while he had the truck.

There were a few other smaller things that he was supposed to do that I figured might as well have him knock out while he had it, he didn't do these things obviously.

I have paid him $1100 so far and was supposed to pay him another $500, don't ask why it ended up that way it's a long story, he is not getting that $500 obviously. I'm curious if he's going to try and be cute about that, I really don't want to make this personal.....
Holy fork.

I have learned in my years that cheaper is not always better. Hell, even free is not often free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom