Yet another 6bt swap into an HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Yeap, it is yet another 6bt swap, and I think this will probably be a bit controversial. Let's begin with the current situation. I have an 84 HJ60 with a 2H engine and H55F transmission. It has 33" with a 4.11 diff ratio. (I was swapped with BJ60 ring and pinion when I installed the TJM lockers). I also refurbished the spring front/back, and we adjusted it like 2" lift and added airbags to the back.

Now, let's continue with the controversial part. I am starting to rebuild a 6bt and will put it into my HJ60. The engine comes from an old dump truck. Firstly, I will not do an SOA. Many threads mention that putting a Cummins in 60 without SOA is impossible. However, I will try. Probably oil pan needs to be modified. And the second one is I will use my H55F with a custom adaptor. Maybe I will use the flywheel of the H55F with an adaptor or modify the current flywheel on the 6bt to fit H55F's clutch. And again, many posts mention that 6bt will destroy H55F. I will configure 6bt, not for the crazy power. Just a little bit powerful from the 2H for the hills and longevity (finding parts for the 2H is getting hard).

Also, I will use my original radiator, add an A/C, add NPR high output 24v alternator with the vacuum pump, and use the power steering pump which comes with the engine.

I think the journey will be quite interesting and gonna be looooooooong, but again, I just wanna try. I have read lots of posts, and I am puzzled and confused. I will post everything about the swap in this thread and explain what I am doing with photos and what is going wrong.

Please, I will appreciate all your comments on why it is a good idea or not or possibilities or I don't know anything.

And last famous words: what could go wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
I will be following your swap. The Cummins is a great engine, I have one in an RV, but they are big - tall, long and heavy. I swapped an Isuzu 4BD2 into my 60 with my H55. The Isuzu engine is a 4 cylinder which is much shorter than 6BT front to rear, which for my swap is good. Both engines have a similar OA height, which makes clearance to the front differential/drivehsaft very close without a 3" plus lift on my swap.

Check out my swap below for pictures and measurement.

This will be an interesting to swap to watch.

I will be following your swap. The Cummins is a great engine, I have one in an RV, but they are big - tall, long and heavy. I swapped an Isuzu 4BD2 into my 60 with my H55. The Isuzu engine is a 4 cylinder which is much shorter than 6BT front to rear, which for my swap is good. Both engines have a similar OA height, which makes clearance to the front differential/drivehsaft very close without a 3" plus lift on my swap.

Check out my swap below for pictures and measurement.

This will be an interesting to swap to watch.
Hi Doug,

You are one of the swaps that inspired me for this task. After I read your journey, I considered the 4BD2. It is really common here. I chose 6bt without any logical explanation, except it has 6 bangers. Sizewise 2H and 6bt are quite the same; however, as you said, height is another world spatially when we talk about the oil pan. I am planning the reverse the oil pan (hump goes back) and shave the right side of the hump for the diff clearance.

Finding a ready adaptor is hard for me. I have to machine from scratch. Is there anything I should pay attention to?

If machining your own adapter plate becomes too much of a task and you have access to a NV4500 and HF2a, you can use the Australian kit I used.

Yeap, you are absolutely right. Machining an adapter plate and an adapter for the flywheel will be a pain, and the best part is I don't know how I am gonna do it. However, finding nv4500 in Turkey is near impossible.

Sorry for the late update. The new-old engine is running, and the journey begins now. I will update the whole progress with videos and pictures.

IMG_3196.jpg
IMG_3198.jpg
IMG_3199.jpg

Update,

The transmission was out, finally. Tomorrow, I will start designing an adapter plate for the 6BT and H55F. I will probably use the mud plate for the template and create a tick adapter. However, the starter interferes with the engine block, and I still don't know how to fit the flywheel.

Here are some pictures,

38925519-C98A-4A58-965E-76446F13BA2A.jpg

44B94A18-1B27-48D0-AFAE-57DC229B4846.jpg

0A028980-F76E-416F-9DB7-7660DC7780FA.jpg

New Update;

6bt and h55f merged awkwardly but I think it will work. I hope. :rofl:

However, I found a little problem with my H55F. So I rebuilding the H55F now.

e23633e9-7827-4fc1-a0b2-766999e8b748.jpg

By the way, I cut the mount on the housing. Now, here is the todo list;

• The starter will mount and wiring; I will use a 24-volt starter. It is ready,
  • Stop solenoid mount and wiring,
  • Air gear-driven compressor regulator, hoses, air dryer, air tank, and gauge,
  • Engine mounts fabrication,
  • Sensors will rearrange for the factory gauges (oil pressure, fuel pressure, coolant temp, oil temp, turbo pressure, egt),
  • grid heater connections and relays ( I have to check if the current heaters are 24-volt or 12-volt; I have no idea),
  • new heavy electrical cables,
  • fabricating fan shroud and electrical cooling fans and wiring,
  • cooling and heater hoses,
  • new injector return line (mine is broken),
  • new fuel line and return line,
  • new hydraulic hoses for the power steering, maybe cooler,
  • Turbo hoses, maybe intercooler? ,
  • new air box with stainless steel snorkel,
  • absolutely KDP update,
  • new throttle cable and linkage,
  • new alternator, I will use 80A 24-volt Isuzu NPR internally regulated alternator; it is ready, and new mounts and wiring, vacuum hoses ext,
  • new oil stick and tube (mine is missing :rofl: )
  • optional: power-driven diesel's AFC live in cap fuel tuner replica and boost controller fabricated by me,

Hi,
Engine and transmission merged again for the final time. A new starter and AC compressor were also added to the 6bt. I draw the alternator mount, stop solenoid, and throttle link. Dipstick and tube job was done. Here are some pictures. I will put the engine back into Toyota. Wish me luck.

IMG_3252.jpeg

IMG_3257.jpeg

I don't think that is going to fit very well in a 60 with the original Cummins flywheel housing like that, unless you move the transmission way back and the shifters are going to be uncomfortable location.

How does that work, anyways? 2H clutch/flywheel combo bolted to the 6BT flywheel? Your picture in post #9 the clutch looks way to far inset for the input shaft to reach?

I don't think that is going to fit very well in a 60 with the original Cummins flywheel housing like that, unless you move the transmission way back and the shifters are going to be uncomfortable location.

How does that work, anyways? 2H clutch/flywheel combo bolted to the 6BT flywheel? Your picture in post #9 the clutch looks way to far inset for the input shaft to reach?
Yeap, precisely the 2H clutch bolted to the 6BT. However, we cut and extended the input shaft to reach. I think I should change the title to Yet another failure swap. :rofl:

I try to keep the transmission in the same place and use an electrical fan for cooling. Ditching the mechanical clutch gives me lots of room. But I don't know. I will learn tomorrow :)

This is my first swap, and doing it alone is challenging in a limited time.

How exactly did you extend the input shaft on the transmission?

How exactly did you extend the input shaft on the transmission?
I have rebuilt the transmission and removed the input shaft. Then a truck shop extends the input shaft. I learn that this is a regular job for them. I never expect this. They use special electrode welding on the lathe that I have never seen before. And there is a little shaft in the transfer case that goes bad; the shop also fabricated it for me 😁. You can see the input shaft and housing in the pictures.

IMG_3242.jpeg

Interesting, that looks crazy how long it is and the bearing retainer

Interesting way of doing it. The SAE housings are usually too big to fit in smaller vehicles without lots of cutting.

Yes, both of you are right. It is an interesting and crazy way to do it. However, I have no other choice. The engine comes from a dodge ram 2500 from an airport duty vehicle, but nighter transmission nor flywheel housing existed. It was a junkyard engine. Only suitable flywheel housing come from BMC trucks so i used it. I coudn't find any small transmission that fit the 60. All of them are eaton's heavy duty series tranny. Tomorrow is the day. Today i couldn't put the engine and tranny back for other things.

Now I can understand what you mean. :rofl: Transmission probably moves 15cm backward, and I try to solve the shifter position. Have you got any idea? Also, I will add a 2.5 or 3-inch body lift. Yesterday I put the engine in it, and it was total chaos. I was demoralized.

Put the stock input shaft back in. Use a dodge adapter plate and flywheel. Use an nv4500 bellhousing or make your own using a tank end or by sectioning plates together.

You need short and skinny. Right now you are long and fat.

Put the stock input shaft back in. Use a dodge adapter plate and flywheel. Use an nv4500 bellhousing or make your own using a tank end or by sectioning plates together.

You need short and skinny. Right now you are long and fat.
Finding those is impossible in Turkey. I am lucky to find the engine. That is why I fall into this mass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom