Replacing worn out car carpet (Not mats) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the car's carpet has seen far better days, I am going to strip everything off to re-sort out wiring and also address any rust issues.

With that in mind I was wondering if I should replace the car's carpet with leather or something waterproof or buy OEM carpet one?

Did any one change them and if so what material do you recommend ?

For the later year US market cars, I believe OEM carpet is only available in tan/beige. ACC brand carpet is sold in the US by a few different resellers and under some private label brands. Rock Auto seems to be the lowest cost. Not sure about international shipping. This carpet comes shaped to fit the contours of the car.

Mine is gray. I just removed mine and it seems cleaning it with a brush on a drill and power washer worked well. I also used an enzyme cleaner. I imagine if you have tan with a lot of stains this may be more difficult.

The wire looms should be in a channel along the perimeter. There should not be much to do.

A lot of stains and also rust spots not to mention worn out.

I will check those but i think with shipping and customs its not gona be attractive price wise.

There are a couple of 80's who removed all this and fitted leather and they seem good.

A lot of stains and also rust spots not to mention worn out.

I will check those but i think with shipping and customs its not gona be attractive price wise.

There are a couple of 80's who removed all this and fitted leather and they seem good.
You just want to make sure what you put down can breath. When i lived in a hot dry climate, it was very popular to remove the carpet and put down rubber or vinyl. The idea was that it is easier to clean... Well it attracted the moisture from the people breathing and any condensation due to temp changes. Ruined a lot of floor panels. Also created more noise and reduced the insulation of the vehicle so there was a lot more heat in the cab.

I know short term people like having rubber or vinyl flooring in their vehicle, for some reason it makes people confident they can just use a water hose to clean things out... The vehicle is not made to have water running in it. Not all of the water can make it out.

You just want to make sure what you put down can breath. When i lived in a hot dry climate, it was very popular to remove the carpet and put down rubber or vinyl. The idea was that it is easier to clean... Well it attracted the moisture from the people breathing and any condensation due to temp changes. Ruined a lot of floor panels. Also created more noise and reduced the insulation of the vehicle so there was a lot more heat in the cab.

I know short term people like having rubber or vinyl flooring in their vehicle, for some reason it makes people confident they can just use a water hose to clean things out... The vehicle is not made to have water running in it. Not all of the water can make it out.

That is a great point I did not think off, well I am not sure if leather is breathable material or not. I cant find much advice in Egypt to be honest.
I will not use water to clean for sure, its not designed for that but I wanted to have a more robust material.

@florida95fzj yah its a fortune to ship to Egypt!! so i have to find a local source after choosing material.

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-01 at 1.30.02 PM.jpeg

Can you find some vehicles that are 30 or more years old with leather flooring? I would look at some at a salvage yard and pull the leather up and see if there is any damage. You might be able to find perforated leather as an option(would breath more. I know leather can do some insulating but probably not as much as the carpet /insulation.

We don't have salvage yards per say like in the USA.
Well even if I go to the carpet like the one it had, I will need to find a supplier.

I get what you mean maybe its best I dont re-invent the wheel and just find a similar carpet to the one I had (Or car carpet) then install that instead.

Well no matter the carpet. I would add more insulation. You owe yourself that extra comfort!

Well no matter the carpet. I would add more insulation. You owe yourself that extra comfort!
🤔 insulation ? Like sound and heat ? Oh I'm intreged tell me more lol

This is what i have been installing in my project vehicles for sides and roof. I am using the non foil version for under carpet Second Skin Heat Wave Pro – Jute with Reinforced Foil – Headliner and Under Carpet Insulation (3/8" Thick, 24 Sq Ft - 1 Sheet) https://a.co/hbbQLCe
I helps my cooling and heating and reduces some sound also. Although there are other products that are better for sound control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom