Why 100-series? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m a relatively new owner of a 100-series. This is my first Toyota. I’m in the process of restoring it: removing and treating rust, rebuilding suspension components, engine maintenance and interior refresh. I keep asking myself if I should have just bought a newer 200-series. I assume the cost is a big driver for many choosing the 100 series; however, are there any other reasons to go for a 100-series? I’m looking for something to remind myself to stick with it. Thank you all for your thoughts.

100 vs 200? Cost is probably the only reason to go 100 that I can think of. 200 improves on most things. Though the fact that I can easily keep updating my head unit and have the latest technology in my 100 series is a big advantage if that's not possible in the 200.

I wanted a hundo purely for the 2UZ 4.7L. The added bonus was restoring everything around it. They just don't tell you that upfront. 🤣 There are no cost savings with this current market of part shortages or shipping costs.

I searched out a 100 because I wanted a 100. First and foremost I prefer the size of the 100. Then aesthetics, pop out quarter windows and a host of other small details as well. The 200's 5.7 is for sure a monster comparatively but for my use case the 4.7 is plenty for the job. I don't regret my decision one bit.

I went and drove several 200s with cash in hand to buy one. I didn’t like them as much as I thought I would. Yes they were “nicer” in most ways, but they weren’t as cool and had no soul. I prefer my 100 over the 200s, and not because of cost.

For the price of a 200 I'd rather get a 2500 cummins or powerwagon with spare cash for mods.

I have both.

I owned a 100 for a year and then bought a 200..

I do like the smaller aspect of the 100 wheeling in my area.

The 200 is a completely different animal. It’s marginally bigger outside and feel twice as big inside. The 200s power is incredible compared to my 100.

The 100 seems to require more maintenance right now although it is 8 years older and has a rough life.

If I was only going to have one I’d sell the 100. In fact I will probably sell the 100 at some point and get another 200 (lx570) and I’ll let her drive it instead of the built out 200 she’s driving now.

I have both.

I owned a 100 for a year and then bought a 200..

I do like the smaller aspect of the 100 wheeling in my area.

The 200 is a completely different animal. It’s marginally bigger outside and feel twice as big inside. The 200s power is incredible compared to my 100.

The 100 seems to require more maintenance right now although it is 8 years older and has a rough life.

If I was only going to have one I’d sell the 100. In fact I will probably sell the 100 at some point and get another 200 (lx570) and I’ll let her drive it instead of the built out 200 she’s driving now.
a 200 is def not TWICE as big inside. I'd argue its not bigger at all inside. it actually feels more cramped and less visibility.

edit:

570 cargo room 83.1

470 90.4

Yeah the couple 570s I've been in all felt smaller to me. all that extra weight is probably in the bigger frame and thicker chassis so people assume it's bigger inside. it aint.

a 200 is def not TWICE as big inside. I'd argue its not bigger at all inside. it actually feels more cramped and less visibility.

edit:

570 cargo room 83.1

470 90.4

Yeah the couple 570s I've been in all felt smaller to me. all that extra weight is probably in the bigger frame and thicker chassis so people assume it's bigger inside. it aint.

Not saying it’s actually bigger inside, but it sure “feels” like it to me. After I got back from a 3600 mile trip in the 200 and got in the 100 I felt like I was in a go cart.

Both a great Rigs, I feel like it’s more situation oriented to say which fits which person better.

For a family of 5 and two dogs the 200 wins every time we load up.

Not saying it’s actually bigger inside, but it sure “feels” like it to me. After I got back from a 3600 mile trip in the 200 and got in the 100 I felt like I was in a go cart.

Both a great Rigs, I feel like it’s more situation oriented to say which fits which person better.

For a family of 5 and two dogs the 200 wins every time we load up.
Offroad capability aside id argue my $5k Sienna is a better vehicle for family roads trips than any land cruiser lolz I’m dead serious too

I’m a relatively new owner of a 100-series. This is my first Toyota. I’m in the process of restoring it: removing and treating rust, rebuilding suspension components, engine maintenance and interior refresh. I keep asking myself if I should have just bought a newer 200-series. I assume the cost is a big driver for many choosing the 100 series; however, are there any other reasons to go for a 100-series? I’m looking for something to remind myself to stick with it. Thank you all for your thoughts.
I think if you started with a better 100 specimen you would have a different perspective. And there are rust free non OCD maintained specimens around.

I love everything other than the front seats in the 200s. I always felt that if i took a right hand turn too quick with the window open, I would get flung out the window.

Honestly I told my gal if we end up with another kid we are getting a van 🤣
Ive always had a Sienna in the mix. If you’re not towing or offroading, it’s the only car you’ll ever need of you don’t mind the minivan stigma.

I’m looking to get a 2500 truck soon for the boat otherwise a van checks all the right boxes.

Insane cargo room, I always just keep 3 seats in it. About double the fuel economy of a land cruiser snd way less/cheaper maintenance.

Ive always had a Sienna in the mix. If you’re not towing or offroading, it’s the only car you’ll ever need of you don’t mind the minivan stigma.

I’m looking to get a 2500 truck soon for the boat otherwise a van checks all the right boxes.

Insane cargo room, I always just keep 3 seats in it. About double the fuel economy of a land cruiser snd way less/cheaper maintenance.
Perhaps you may need to make me a good deal on your hundy. That may unleash all of your hundy concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom