Looking for aftermarket horn button ideas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello..... My 40 needs a horn button. I know I should try to rebuild the one in the wheel, but I want to just add an aftermarket horn button on the column or the dash. I've seen a lot of good looking aftermarket ideas and photos in the past, but now that I'm specifically looking for that, I can't seem to find much.

Does anyone have a great solution for a button and mounting position? A photo and link to where the button is available to buy would be super helpful.

Thanks for all!

Hello..... My 40 needs a horn button. I know I should try to rebuild the one in the wheel, but I want to just add an aftermarket horn button on the column or the dash. I've seen a lot of good looking aftermarket ideas and photos in the past, but now that I'm specifically looking for that, I can't seem to find much.

Does anyone have a great solution for a button and mounting position? A photo and link to where the button is available to buy would be super helpful.

Thanks for all!
I bought this momentary push button switch and installed into an errant hole a PO drilled for an in-cab switch right above my ignition on the left side of the steering column in my '69. Not super useful for an emergency situation horn blast, but at least I have a functioning horn. Sorry, don't have any photos handy.

The PO did this on mine. It looks pretty sharp. There is a guy on here that makes factory replicas. I think Mark has a stash of used ones as well.

20210814_221611.jpg

Back in the day when I got home from a particularly dirty/dusty run I wanted to hose out the interior, same as you'd do with a boat after a salt water run. This quickly roached-out the steering wheel horn button and cig lighter, sooooo I merely gutted the original horn button, and installed a water proof marine push button into the cig lighter hole for a new horn button- - -done deal, then the interior was mostly water proof after that.

Any number of momentary push buttons will work, but if your going to go aftermarket, might as well go the full hog and install a train whistle style pull string switch :grinpimp:

Cool! I really like the small TRD black button. I can't read the P/N on the box. Do you know where those are available?

Oh update..... I was just looking around on ebay and saw these. Bigger than I hoped. I want a small size one to but on the column or dash. maybe 1"??? I want to leave the wheel center with the original look although the horn won't function.

Last edited:
I've seen these 3D printed button centers. Awesome, I'd like to get one. Do you know who sells them?
Perhaps if you know someone with a 3d printer, they can print one for you. Our son did ours. Here is what it looked like raw when it came out of the printer.

Raw 3d Printed New Horn Button.jpg

Perhaps if you know someone with a 3d printer, they can print one for you. Our son did ours. Here is what it looked like raw when it came out of the printer.

View attachment 3072644
That's really cool. I guess i should get my teenager a 3d printer for Christmas! 😂 I don't have a 3d printer but i know someone who does. Would he be willing to share the file he printed from and the type of material he used? The would save me from litteraly having to reinvent the wheel!

Last edited:
Cool! I really like the small TRD black button. I can't read the P/N on the box. Do you know where those are available?

Oh update..... I was just looking around on ebay and saw these. Bigger than I hoped. I want a small size one to but on the column or dash. maybe 1"??? I want to leave the wheel center with the original look although the horn won't function.

all my suggestions were from ebay yes

i have no affiliation just trying to help :)

I suggest getting a old high beam floor switch and use that. We have been doing that in off road race cars for years.

That's really cool. I guess i should get my teenager a 3d printer for Christmas! 😂 I don't have a 3d printer but i know someone who does. Would he be willing to share the file he printed from and the type of material he used? The would save me from litteraly having to reinvent the wheel!

See post #8 from the above-referenced thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom