1FZFE 5.2L Turbo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are you worried about breaking?

There's loads of turbo diesel 70, 80, 100, 200 series pushing huge torque and HP through stock drive trains
Transmission is the biggest issue in these trucks.

Transmission is the biggest issue in these trucks.

Is there any upgrades available?

I don't take much notice if anything auto trans related, but I know Wholesale Transmissions (Australia) have been doing valve bodies for decades.
Wondering if the turbo diesel crowd has driven demand for anything else?

Reactions: JMM
The shop guys humorously mentioned sequential rally-raid transmissions, noting they easily cost more than the whole truck... um, thanks... but no.
Haha yep I looked at a transmission that was $22k. I think the only other realistic option for a street driven truck is the 4L80E conversion but the conversion kit is about $5k alone.

Haha yep I looked at a transmission that was $22k. I think the only other realistic option for a street driven truck is the 4L80E conversion but the conversion kit is about $5k alone.
I'm starting with a giant transmission cooler and obsessive temp data monitoring, plus a box full of hope and prayers.

I'm starting with a giant transmission cooler and obsessive temp data monitoring, plus a box full of hope and prayers.
I have been at 380+awhp and 470ft/lbs of torque coming in early and the transmission has survived so far. Knock on wood. But we did tune it a little soft down low intentionally.

Out of curiosity, at what rpm would the torque peak on one of these extraordinary 1fz’s? What rpm is “coming in low”?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, at what rpm would the torque peak on one of these extraordinary 1fz’s? What rpm is “coming in low”.
My torque peak stock was 3250rpms and was 194ft/lbs

Torque peak with the turbo was 3500rpms and was 480ft/lbs, but the pull started at 2500rpms and everywhere past 2500rpms the turbo made much more torque than the stock peak.

With the stroker it will be even more pronounced.

Last edited:
One of our local guys works on a truck with a 6BT and the biggest issue is getting the torque converter to lock up and hold. I'm not sure of their latest solution, but I know.it involved more $$$$.

This is what happens when you allow scope creep on an engine oil leak in your 80...

Finally nearing completion on the subject build after a really looooong wait. Turns out there's a good reason we don't see many of these outside Dubai's sand drags; a lot of experimentation and custom machining work has been required (difficulty rating = $$$/$$$). Ended up with 108mm stroke on billet crank, 101mm bore, fresh H-beam rods, modified 8.53:1 race pistons, and Supra head studs. Will run a 61lb/min turbo via custom piping and intercooler. Intentionally detuning to avoid over-stressing internals and/or destroying the transmission. Should have more updates in a few weeks, after dyno time. 🤪
Sounds like a cool build. Sounds like your having fun with it. Hope it all comes together well.

I’m excited for this ! Is it a Crower kit ? Curious about engine management and the rod/stroke ratio too.

I’m excited for this ! Is it a Crower kit ? Curious about engine management and the rod/stroke ratio too.
Calling it a "kit" would be generous at this point, but there are some Crower parts involved; most notably the billet crank (with a bit of further machining required for clearance). We're running a second Link Fury ECU while letting the OEM think it's basically still connected. All gauges, cruise, and warning lights will thus function as original - or with enhanced purpose (e.g., telling me if the transmission exceeds our target temp).

Rod/stroke ratio is pretty aggressive, but we're deliberately overbuilding then detuning for relative reliability (>50-100% overhead on internal parts). It has been a long science experiment, with more to follow...

Calling it a "kit" would be generous at this point, but there are some Crower parts involved; most notably the billet crank (with a bit of further machining required for clearance). We're running a second Link Fury ECU while letting the OEM think it's basically still connected. All gauges, cruise, and warning lights will thus function as original - or with enhanced purpose (e.g., telling me if the transmission exceeds our target temp).

Rod/stroke ratio is pretty aggressive, but we're deliberately overbuilding then detuning for relative reliability (>50-100% overhead on internal parts). It has been a long science experiment, with more to follow...
So you're sending a lot of the signals to both the second link fury and the toyota ECU? Is the toyota ECU doing the transmission as well or can the second link fury do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom