1FZFE 5.2L Turbo Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JMM

Threads
This is what happens when you allow scope creep on an engine oil leak in your 80...

Finally nearing completion on the subject build after a really looooong wait. Turns out there's a good reason we don't see many of these outside Dubai's sand drags; a lot of experimentation and custom machining work has been required (difficulty rating = $$$/$$$). Ended up with 108mm stroke on billet crank, 101mm bore, fresh H-beam rods, modified 8.53:1 race pistons, and Supra head studs. Will run a 61lb/min turbo via custom piping and intercooler. Intentionally detuning to avoid over-stressing internals and/or destroying the transmission. Should have more updates in a few weeks, after dyno time. 🤪

Sounds really intriguing! I follow a bunch of Ausies on F B and it is really interesting what all they do to the 1fz. It's kinda like the Chevy small block of the South Pacific.

This is what happens when you allow scope creep on an engine oil leak in your 80...

Finally nearing completion on the subject build after a really looooong wait. Turns out there's a good reason we don't see many of these outside Dubai's sand drags; a lot of experimentation and custom machining work has been required (difficulty rating = $$$/$$$). Ended up with 108mm stroke on billet crank, 101mm bore, fresh H-beam rods, modified 8.53:1 race pistons, and Supra head studs. Will run a 61lb/min turbo via custom piping and intercooler. Intentionally detuning to avoid over-stressing internals and/or destroying the transmission. Should have more updates in a few weeks, after dyno time. 🤪
I would suggest a bigger turbo.... 61lb/min on a stroker is going to run out of steam pretty quickly up top. I run a 64lb/min turbo on a stock engine and it gets a little weak up top.

I would suggest a bigger turbo.... 61lb/min on a stroker is going to run out of steam pretty quickly up top. I run a 64lb/min turbo on a stock engine and it gets a little weak up top.
I would, but we're hoping to spin this up a bit earlier, then pretty much level off the tune. Bigger is an option if I feel like getting more torque/HP later; it's definitely been discussed and was certainly tempting...

The weak link should be transmission first (the ~400awhp we've discussed), then probably rods ~750bhp+.

Last edited:
I would, but we're hoping to spin this up a bit earlier, then pretty much level off the tune. Bigger is an option if I feel like getting more torqe/HP later; it's definitely been discussed and was certainly tempting...

The weak link should be transmission first (the ~400awhp we've discused), then probably rods ~750bhp+.
I make 380awhp and it spins up almost instantly BW EFR 7670, but runs out of steam up top pushing it harder makes hot IATs. I look forward to your experience but I hope it doesn't end up being a little frustrating.

Pics or it didn't happen. Don't tell us you don't have photos of shiny machined block, pretty parts layed out on the table, etc, etc, etc. I mean, come on, guy! :flipoff2:

all that work and money and only 8.5:1 compression? it's 2022, not 2004

what torque converter are you using?

Pics or it didn't happen. Don't tell us you don't have photos of shiny machined block, pretty parts layed out on the table, etc, etc, etc. I mean, come on, guy! :flipoff2:
I'm working on it 😜
Machinist is 3 hours away, so I'm relying on their internal photos...

all that work and money and only 8.5:1 compression? it's 2022, not 2004

what torque converter are you using?
Trying to keep the compressed mixture temps down, and have the pressure intercooled instead.

No change to converter yet, if it survives. 🤪

Trying to keep the compressed mixture temps down, and have the pressure intercooled instead.

No change to converter yet, if it survives. 🤪

let me guess, you want to run it on 93 too

:lol: :lol: :lol:

this has to be a troll post.

8.5:1? Spark plug engines off boost are entirely compression dependent. Low compression equals light load efficiency in the toilet.

Sounds like a very expensive way to build a stock Ford 300 six that says Toyota on the valve cover.

8.5:1? Spark plug engines off boost are entirely compression dependent. Low compression equals light load efficiency in the toilet.

Sounds like a very expensive way to build a stock Ford 300 six that says Toyota on the valve cover.
Certainly entitled to one's opinion, but even a 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S runs 8.7:1 compression. I'd expect Stuttgart's engineers didn't select that ratio at random; mine didn’t either. Of course, feel free to build yours however you'd like...

Certainly entitled to one's opinion, but even a 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S runs 8.7:1 compression. I'd expect Stuttgart's engineers didn't select that ratio at random; mine didn’t either. Of course, feel free to build yours however you'd like...
To help me understand, this is a 1FZ-FE (4.5L) that is being bored and stroked to get to 5.2L?

Wow! I would like to see someone get this to fruition in the USA without everyone being complete dycks about it.

Obviously, other areas of the world do this, why is it not more common here? I would like to see more possibilities on this.

To help me understand, this is a 1FZ-FE (4.5L) that is being bored and stroked to get to 5.2L?

Wow! I would like to see someone get this to fruition in the USA without everyone being complete dycks about it.

Obviously, other areas of the world do this, why is it not more common here? I would like to see more possibilities on this.
Correct. I also fully appreciate why it's not done more often here; basically the opposite of easy or cheap, whereas Dubai throws money at these things all day long.

It's also apparent there are way more opinions than turbos in domestic 80's. 🤣

Correct. I also fully appreciate why it's not done more often here; basically the opposite of easy or cheap, whereas Dubai throws money at these things all day long.

It's also apparent there are way more opinions than turbos in domestic 80's. 🤣
What's the intended use on this engine?

What's your goal HP and torque?

I know the use can dictate more how you build it than just going for "MAX POWER!"

From what I've seen (only a little) these are capable of 750+ HP, but that's not real useful when toodling around town.

Yes, and that 3600 lb car is also rated at 15 MPG.

• Haha
Reactions: JMM
What's the intended use on this engine?

What's your goal HP and torque?

I know the use can dictate more how you build it than just going for "MAX POWER!"

From what I've seen (only a little) these are capable of 750+ HP, but that's not real useful when toodling around town.
Most I've ever seen from the 1FZ-FE is ~2,500hp in a drag car (ridiculous; destroked for higher rpm; search Boosted86). I've basically fallen down the "because I can" rabbit hole, with the expectation that it should remain drivable on/off road. Reasonably early torque and about 400awhp will constitute "success" on my personal scale. Race shop estimates I could push whatever number(s) I want with a bigger turbo + corresponding retune, but we'd start breaking other stuff.
Yes, and that 3600 lb car is also rated at 15 MPG.
Well, you got me there. Fair play. My goals do not include better MPG. 👍

Most I've ever seen from the 1FZ-FE is ~2,500hp in a drag car (ridiculous; destroked for higher rpm; search Boosted86). I've basically fallen down the "because I can" rabbit hole, with the expectation that it should remain drivable on/off road. Reasonably early torque and about 400awhp will constitute "success" on my personal scale. Race shop estimates I could push whatever number(s) I want with a bigger turbo + corresponding retune, but we'd start breaking other stuff.

Well, you got me there. Fair play. My goals do not include better MPG. 👍
Will you be dyno-ing this engine once built or just doing seat-of-the-pants (SOTP) dyno?

Race shop estimates I could push whatever number(s) I want with a bigger turbo + corresponding retune, but we'd start breaking other stuff.

What are you worried about breaking?

There's loads of turbo diesel 70, 80, 100, 200 series pushing huge torque and HP through stock drive trains

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom