Caster Plates and Radius Arm clearance (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello
Currently Have IM 2” springs planning on adding 20mm spacers or putting in a pair of 3” springs. Totaling 2-3/4 or 3” lift
I have the Heavy Duty Man-A-Fre tie rod kit. Question is…. if I install the Landtank 2.5 caster plates will I have to grind some clearance in my stock Radius arms?

Was planing on going with Black Hawk radius arms but the USA dealer 4xO keeps giving me false lead times, so unfortunately I’ll be canceling that order and taking the cheap route. Upon placing my order with 4XOUSA, according to Darren I would have received my order about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks

C9100C04-F2A2-4C07-A2D3-49CDBA4BE466.jpeg

CD04E34E-3F0A-4357-A1F5-190FAC999F55.jpeg

My first suspension was the IM 2" kit, and I paired that with the 2.5" Landtank plates. I ended up picking up some lightly used Gen 1 Dobinsons 146-VT springs and currently sit at 23.8" up front. I have not had any issues with clearance. I don't have a photo but can get you one if needed.

Only downside for me is that my caster is a little low at this height

Here you go, keep in mind this is the stock tie rod

4B305EBE-95CE-49BB-8DFD-2ED43D47CBFD.jpeg

8CC4CCBA-0F71-441D-B29F-AD3C66C3532D.jpeg

Hello
Currently Have IM 2” springs planning on adding 20mm spacers or putting in a pair of 3” springs. Totaling 2-3/4 or 3” lift
I have the Heavy Duty Man-A-Fre tie rod kit. Question is…. if I install the Landtank 2.5 caster plates will I have to grind some clearance in my stock Radius arms?

Was planing on going with Black Hawk radius arms but the USA dealer 4xO keeps giving me false lead times, so unfortunately I’ll be canceling that order and taking the cheap route. Upon placing my order with 4XOUSA, according to Darren I would have received my order about 6 weeks ago.

Thanks

View attachment 3071346

View attachment 3071347

Every rig is different.

My 91 had the man a fre HD steering kit.

I had OME caster bushings and trunnion caster bearings on that rig with a 2" lift.

After I installed the trunnion caster bearings my steering linkage did hit my radius arms.

I didn't have to grind much to get them to clear. I probably took 1/8" off the top of my arms.

I never had any problems with those arms. I totalled that rig in a bad head on collision. Bad enough that I severely bent the frame and all 4 doors wouldn't close correctly, but the radius arms were still straight.

So I would say go for the lift and plates. If you do have clearance issues they will be small. Don't be afraid to grind a little off the arms.

If you do have to grind the arms spend the $$$ on a good quality aggressive flap disk. Something like this.

Having a good disk will really speed up the job.

Just undo the two front bolts and let the arms drop down. Than you should be able to do the grinding under the truck. Only disconnect one arm at a time.

The key to doing this correctly is to avoid "notching the arms" you need to probably grind 12" - 18" along the top and blend it, avoid just "notching" one spot to clear the linkage because that will cause a stress spot.

Start by knocking the little ridge in the middle of the arm down. Than measure and take a 1/16th of an inch off at a time. Check the clearance and repeat as necessary. Do not go more than 3/16". If you need to remove more than that than order some aftermarket arms before doing so.

I am sure some people will post and say this is dangerous and doing this will kill you and others and cause cancer.

But plenty of people have done this without issues, except for the guy who notched his arms and snapped them in half. So don't notch them lol

So this is with the Dobinson 2.5 springs? thank you, might have to do a little touch with the grinder, I'm just trying to avoid grinding thru the top lip like i see so many people do. I've researched that subject already.
Correct, but keep in mind those spring generate way more lift than advertised, that's why I gave you my measurement up front. I'm closer to 4" of lift and still have plenty of room.

Every rig is different.

I had OME caster bushings and trunnion caster bearings on that rig with a 2" lift.

After I installed the trunnion caster bearings my steering linkage did hit my radius arms.

I didn't have to grind much to get them to clear. I probably took 1/8" off the top of my arms.

I never had any problems with those arms. I totalled that rig in a bad head on collision. Bad enough that I severely bent the frame and all 4 doors wouldn't close correctly, but the radius arms were still straight.

So I would say go for the lift and plates. If you do have clearance issues they will be small. Don't be afraid to grind a little off the arms.

If you do have to grind the arms spend the $$$ on a good quality aggressive flap disk. Something like this.

Just undo the two front bolts and let the arms drop down. Than you should be able to do the grinding under the truck. Only disconnect one arm at a time.

The key to doing this correctly is to avoid "notching the arms" you need to probably grind 12" - 18" along the top and blend it, avoid just "notching" one spot to clear the linkage because that will cause a stress spot.

Start by knocking the little ridge in the middle of the arm down. Than measure and take a 1/16th of an inch off at a time. Check the clearance and repeat as necessary. Do not go more than 3/16". If you need to remove more than that than order some aftermarket arms before doing so.

I am sure some people will post and say this is dangerous and doing this will kill you and others and cause cancer.

But plenty of people have done this without issues, except for the guy who notched his arms and snapped them in half. So don't notch them lol
Seen that post lol
So dumb question, if I have let’s say 1/8 clearance on level ground and I go into max flextion with the arms interface with the drag link?
Does the clearance change depending on the flex?

Seen that post lol
So dumb question, if I have let’s say 1/8 clearance on level ground and I go into max flextion with the arms interface with the drag link?
Does the clearance change depending on the flex?

The clearance will change a little when flexed but not much. It will also change through the range of steering from lock to lock.

This is why it's good to do it on the truck. As you progress you can put the bolts back in the front of the arms and check the clearance as you rotate the steering wheel.

You can also color the tops of the arms with sharpie and than you can see where they are rubbing.

It's too bad you canceled your order with 4xO. A pallet of parts just arrived stateside today.
How did you confirm this?
My order hasn't been canceled yet, Darren replied late yesterday stating Ill have a tracking number on Monday for my shipment. Ill be real happy to get the tracking # I don't feel like Hodge podging and chicken D!$&!N with clearance issues and grinders.

FWIW I've got 3" lift and 4" Landtank caster plates. Plenty of clearance at the tie rod, no grinding. I do have a DC front driveshaft (had it already, not sure if it's 100% necessary for this combo).

Hello

Thanks

View attachment 3071346

View attachment 3071347

FYI you can order Superior or JmacX radius arms directly from Australia and have them in two weeks or less.

Cheers

FYI you can order Superior or JmacX radius arms directly from Australia and have them in two weeks or less.

Cheers
I know this now :( You can also order Blackhawk from 4wd Shed. 4x0 told me 2 weeks out when I originally place my order for the black hawks. But anyways looks like they are coming. If 4xo would have told me 8 weeks out, I probably still would have placed the order and expectations would have been lowered.

Cheers
Not to derail, but do you happen to know if Superior super flex arms offer extended length options like Jmacx, Delta and BH for 37s+? Doesn't seem to be stated on their product page. ;)

Every rig is different.

It's too bad you canceled your order with 4xO. A pallet of parts just arrived stateside today.
Looks like your boy Darren at 4XOUSA is living up to his reputation, lies and misinformation, are you sure he's not CNN reporter?
Here your boy Darren at 4XOUSA

My tone lol you would at least expect to see some capital letters or exclamation point right?

The dude is delusional

11973AA8-520E-4AD5-94E6-37B602763CA6.png

29CFDC3C-7ED3-454A-8CAE-F509E884FD34.png

1CF98654-AD72-4D8C-A187-EA79104EF928.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom