Builds Portland Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rims are custom from Stockton Wheel Stockton Wheel - http://stocktonwheel.com/

You have the size correct. No regrets other than I’m now starting to develop a bit of rust on them…..not much but still.

I like the size as the majority of time the truck is on pavement. The Cooper tires are wearing great.
Hi @umpqua
I have gone through the complete build thread with much pleasure.
A fabulous build, seems effective and comfortable for long range excursions (sorry for the Ford affiliation :))
I have tried to find the actual wheel dimensions of your very nice stockton wheels without success.
I would highly appreciate your information if you could share the full dimensional data for these wheel including Nominal diameter, width, weight rating and offset
(for example 16X6.5J ET12)

Thank you for sharing this build, I would surely use this info as reference to my humble build
Omri

Hi @umpqua
I have gone through the complete build thread with much pleasure.
A fabulous build, seems effective and comfortable for long range excursions (sorry for the Ford affiliation :))
I have tried to find the actual wheel dimensions of your very nice stockton wheels without success.
I would highly appreciate your information if you could share the full dimensional data for these wheel including Nominal diameter, width, weight rating and offset
(for example 16X6.5J ET12)

Thank you for sharing this build, I would surely use this info as reference to my humble build
Omri
Check out post 127. Agree there’s not much to go on and I apologize for that. I have all of the wheel info in a file folder but it’s in the U.S. and I don’t know when I’ll be back that way.

My suggestion is to call Andrea at Stockton wheel and see if he might have a record of what he sold me. I know others have ordered the wheels since so he may know right away.

I’m sorry that I can’t be more help with this…..I don’t have access to the file.

When you're back in Portland, I would LOVE to see this in person and listen to some stories about your travels, and also drool all over the troopy. Lol. What I've read of the thread so far has been a treat!

Check out post 127. Agree there’s not much to go on and I apologize for that. I have all of the wheel info in a file folder but it’s in the U.S. and I don’t know when I’ll be back that way.

My suggestion is to call Andrea at Stockton wheel and see if he might have a record of what he sold me. I know others have ordered the wheels since so he may know right away.

I’m sorry that I can’t be more help with this…..I don’t have access to the file.
Thank you
I'll get in touch with Andrea
In the meanwhile, stay safe and have fun

Popoyo Beach, Nicaragua. Free camping at the best beach we’ve found since Baja.

F2A26FB8-4F6B-42BD-A1C7-DB39A325D21E.jpeg

75D58222-680C-4D61-8616-E0F5CBD77A5C.jpeg

Popoyo Beach, Nicaragua. Free camping at the best beach we’ve found since Baja.

View attachment 3068974

View attachment 3068975

I spent a few weeks camping there in the early 90's, glad to hear it's still lovely and enjoyable. Driving through Nicaragua at the time all the bridges were guarded by teenagers with AKs and nearly every town had an "arcade" with a few original Nintendo game consoles. It was a trip. Thanks for the updates and it looks like you are having a great time. Keep the photos coming when you can.

Casa Soley camping. Costa Rica.

5981D569-0540-4E60-8147-E3A87EB70381.jpeg

Playa Rajada. Our first full day in Costa Rica. We will camp for free in this amazing spot for a while.

It keeps getting better and better…..

Very cool.
Have you ever wished you had more space like a live-in camper or do you feel the space in the Troopy is enough? Maybe a trade-off with space vs off-road accessibility?
I think about this quite a bit. Once I get to a camp spot would I rather be in a sprinter or even a unimog? Oh hell yes! But while actually driving, the troopy is perfect. We’ve been to places where a sprinter or truck camper type rig is not going to go…..and that includes city streets. Guanajuato Mx comes to mind.

You mention “trade off” and that’s exactly what it is…a trade off with everything. The troopy though is the Swiss Army knife of this kind of travel. It does everything well enough…..

I think about this quite a bit. Once I get to a camp spot would I rather be in a sprinter or even a unimog? Oh hell yes! But while actually driving, the troopy is perfect. We’ve been to places where a sprinter or truck camper type rig is not going to go…..and that includes city streets. Guanajuato Mx comes to mind.

You mention “trade off” and that’s exactly what it is…a trade off with everything. The troopy though is the Swiss Army knife of this kind of travel. It does everything well enough…..

I agree. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Camped at a pretty sweet spot just outside of Monteverdi Costa Rica last night. Covered. Hot showers. Kitchen. Clean flush toilets. The photo is Heather and a couple we met.

the beach pic is from playa Rajada just south of the nica border in Costa Rica. This is the nicest beach we camped on since Baja. Free. Asked the policia if it was safe. They said yes and that they would keep an eye on us during the night. A little day use but mainly had it to our selves.

paid a deposit on a container this week that is scheduled to ship from Panama City to cartagena 9/29.

3BA730DB-64A3-46F0-A52D-317AA0ED32B0.jpeg

4711A0CA-C66C-404D-9707-931CD976BFBC.jpeg

C6EFA5F4-31BD-4BF8-8BA5-C5C06FC7004B.jpeg

5692EFF1-C58E-4D35-BFCA-A630E24C32CC.jpeg

Not much of a photo but this is at the Costa Rica - Panama border where we crossed into Panama yesterday. The crossing took 4 hours, mainly because the power went out midstream on the Panama side. A recurring theme ( Honduras).

Observation about Costa Rica is that it’s expensive….about like the U.S.

Arb side protection was added in Costa Rica. I’m not sold on the look and will now try to find the original side steps. Mine were bent and not reinstalled after the body work. Maybe a junk yard in Panama.

Truck set to load in a container for Colombia on 9/29.

AC9244D8-190D-4AFA-BCDB-A53BDA22BAC7.jpeg

Never been a fan of those bars. I understand their utility, but don't like the look.
I've got some oem chrome steps that I'll probably never put back on, if you're ever back up in the PNW...

Never been a fan of those bars. I understand their utility, but don't like the look.
I've got some oem chrome steps that I'll probably never put back on, if you're ever back up in the PNW...
Yeah, honestly I’m not sold on the look either. It’s not uncommon for me to overthink things and there’s a lot to be said for simplicity. Maybe if I have the steps to fill in the gap. I can tell you that the front bar saved me from some serious body damage in Guanajuato.

If/when I get back to the pnw we are going to meet on a river.

Yesterday the troopy loaded onto a container in Panama City bound for Cartagena Colombia. It should be out of the port in Cartagena BY 10/16.

We used a company called Overland Embyssy for the logistical,work. The price was $2100 which includes the shipping and help getting the truck out of the port in Colombia. The container was shared with another vehicle.

Today, Dixie and I flew around the Darian Gap into Colombia. i don’t like to game the system but I got an emotional support letter so Dixie could ride in the cabin of the plane. It’s hot and she’s old. We went through the airport, through customs, on the plane and exited in Cartagena all the while off leash. I’m proud of Dixie; she did everything she was supposed to do and I think people genuinely loved her.

Mid-October we will generally follow the attached route through Colombia. I expect that we will be in the country a couple of months.

8ED0EFC0-19F6-4E5D-AEAF-893234DE5E88.jpeg

C7CC5C51-1597-44EB-B763-C225296E60F1.jpeg

9352A571-B73C-46CE-BA9B-C3E0E896FCA1.jpeg

65AA4C87-AE2C-41A9-9B69-E277EEA4EDA9.jpeg

Potential Route.

B72F89F8-C13B-414C-B40E-A05E7C3A6687.png

Alejandro at overland embassy had a pair of original sidesteps to use with the arb side protection. His dad has an on-site body shop. Painted and installed for $200. Picture is prior paint.

Nice to have these to access the roof boxes.

All is now well in my arb side protection world.

AA63D9F5-0A36-489A-8F22-66C6E6BD3365.jpeg

6A7A364D-99D5-440B-8B64-0FC8354D7B1F.jpeg

Tapage on mud referred me to super service 4x4 in panama city. Oil and fluid change, new bfg all terrain’s, new rear pinion seal, tie rods.” Stuff.”

Not much on pics here.

I appreciate the referral.

AD5E3D15-31FE-4DB0-92E1-A3E7533A234D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom