1977 Hood repair question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to rebuild/repair all the rot on my '77 hood. Lots of rust on the front -corners and center - waferred all the rot out out and started to replace metal-used 18 Ga. stainless( .023 stainless mig wire).
In the center, the brace that runs from front to back was originally "glued" down with some sort of anti-rattle type of sealant/adhesive(NO TACK WELDS) - except on the front/back.--does anyone know what this "adhesive" was made of?-Still available?-if not, any substitute?

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

I know what you mean and I’m thinking it was some sort of tar that’s semi-hardened like the stuff they put on the driver side floor. I would use a 3M seam sealer or maybe a plumber’s epoxy that I can mold to shape.

This is what I plan to use for the same application, as some folks recommended in a thread I started a while back. I plan to tackle that soon.

Nice work on your hood! Let us know what you end up using / doing with that under-hood support.
This forum is incredible! Went back with your links to some earlier posts on the subject and found this from Cruiser Dan(link)--I even posted some info on the subject back then--how wierd is that?
"My body shop friend says the 3M part number is 4274".
-hopefully, the stuff is still available-THANK you!

Why waste time. Get a new one.

Other than the doors that city racer had anyone ever seen what the quality of these body parts are? It would be cool to tell the vendors from south America and their US distributors who don't care that seem to think a tub that has dimensions within a inch as OK to go packing

Other than the doors that city racer had anyone ever seen what the quality of these body parts are? It would be cool to tell the vendors from south America and their US distributors who don't care that seem to think a tub that has dimensions within a inch as OK to go packing
I haven't seen the parts in person, but everywhere I've looked you have to buy in lots of ten pieces or more. So, these are MFR/Wholesalers hoping to get a dealer in the states.

I haven't seen the parts in person, but everywhere I've looked you have to buy in lots of ten pieces or more. So, these are MFR/Wholesalers hoping to get a dealer in the states.
That's fine but I hope whoever the distributor is doesn't end up gouging the market if its a good product. I was 72 hrs from sending the deposit for a Tseven tub and their fire hit, then covid hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom