Cylinder lock set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My current goal is to replace all the locks and ignition with a cylinder lock set. I have managed to find one for sale online. But it does mention that it is for RHD. Does anyone know if they can be made compatible with a LHD model?

For context, I purchased an LX450 that has no rust, but certainly wasn't well maintained. When I purchased it, I didn't find out till I got home that the door locks didn't work. I was aware that someone had snapped off the rear hatch key cover, and it only had one key to begin with. So seems like as good a place as any to start fixing it up. I just want to make sure that if I buy a complete set, I can make it work. Also is there anything else that anyone recommends doing, while working at this particular job? Thanks for any pointers.

My current goal is to replace all the locks and ignition with a cylinder lock set. I have managed to find one for sale online. But it does mention that it is for RHD. Does anyone know if they can be made compatible with a LHD model?

For context, I purchased an LX450 that has no rust, but certainly wasn't well maintained. When I purchased it, I didn't find out till I got home that the door locks didn't work. I was aware that someone had snapped off the rear hatch key cover, and it only had one key to begin with. So seems like as good a place as any to start fixing it up. I just want to make sure that if I buy a complete set, I can make it work. Also is there anything else that anyone recommends doing, while working at this particular job? Thanks for any pointers.

PM me i might be able to help

Key banner - Copy.jpg

My current goal is to replace all the locks and ignition with a cylinder lock set. I have managed to find one for sale online. But it does mention that it is for RHD
Multiple options to get working locks that don’t involve guessing. Getting a set from @ToyotaMatt is going to be among the quickest and easiest options. Simply pop yours out and pop his in.

Alternatively, if you’re feeling spry, you can rebuild all of your existing cylinders yourself. I rebuilt mine using this kit (1998-2004 Toyota / X174 / TR40 / Keying Tumbler Kit / A-30-106 (ASP) - https://www.uhs-hardware.com/products/1998-2004-toyota-x174-tr40-keying-tumbler-kit-a-30-106-asp?rq=mk_toyota~md_land-cruiser~yr_1994). Not hard to do but it does take awhile.

Thanks everyone. So the doors wont even accept the key that turns the ignition. I don't know if something is stuck inside them, and the power lock button inside wont engage them, so I imagine they have to be replaced. The rear hatch has the cover snapped off, and I just assume, replace everything together, and have one set of keys that can open everything. I found a full set available on Amayama for $300, my concern is that it says all the set for Left Hand Driver vehicles are sold out, but are available for Right Hand Drive vehicles. So I want to know is, even though mine is LHD, can I make a RHD set fit?

the doors wont even accept the key that turns the ignition.
I think you might be jumping the gun on replacing all the cylinders. Here’s what I would do:
1) lubricate all the cylinders with a silicone dry lube, the insert the key a bunch of times in each cylinder, then gradually work the key sideways a bunch of times in each cylinder to see if you can get it to turn.
2) get the key code off the passenger door lock cylinder and have your local dealer cut you a new key from that code.
3) repeat #1 above.
4) it’s possible that the previous owner busted the ignition cylinder and had it replaced by a lazy locksmith who just replaced the cylinder, which resulted in the ignition cylinder not matching the lock cylinders. If that’s the case, and you don’t want to have to carry two keys to operate the truck, then once you have the key code and the correct key, you can rekey the ignition cylinder to match.

I think you might be jumping the gun on replacing all the cylinders. Here’s what I would do:
1) lubricate all the cylinders with a silicone dry lube, the insert the key a bunch of times in each cylinder, then gradually work the key sideways a bunch of times in each cylinder to see if you can get it to turn.
2) get the key code off the passenger door lock cylinder and have your local dealer cut you a new key from that code.
3) repeat #1 above.
4) it’s possible that the previous owner busted the ignition cylinder and had it replaced by a lazy locksmith who just replaced the cylinder, which resulted in the ignition cylinder not matching the lock cylinders. If that’s the case, and you don’t want to have to carry two keys to operate the truck, then once you have the key code and the correct key, you can rekey the ignition cylinder to match.
Much appreciated, I will try that first. I managed to find a rear hatch key cover replacement. So if I can just get the door locks repaired, then you're right, I might not need an entire new set. Thanks again!

You can still get new Land Cruiser ignition and door locks from Partsouq which will work in your LX450. You would want to key the doors to the ignition. You can rekey the ignition but it is a lot more of a challenge. Glove box and rear hatch have to be sourced in the used market but can also be rekeyed.

Here is what I did:

A couple Mud vendors can also help.
@ToyotaMatt who has already posted.
Delta Vehicle Systems sells a set ready to go.
Delta Vehicle Systems - Toyota OEM Lock Cylinder SET - https://www.deltavs.com/all-products/toyota-oem-lock-cylinder-set

Two different OEM complete lock sets are still available, for South African spec 80’s.

To get them you will need to order from Japan.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom