What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You mean I went through all that effort when all I had to do was disco the sway bar!? FML man...😂
I’m exaggerating a little bit lol, but yeah without the sway bar the front flex a lot lot more.

Is this what makes the key persnickety about turning occasionally?

I do not know if that symptom is caused by the shaft, or the actual key cylinder.

Last edited:
Installed a Blue sea systems OLED voltage meter in a clean location and wired in a switch to override the interior lights turning on when the liftgate is open - this is huge for sleeping with the liftgate open or generally having the gate open for long periods while fishing, at camp, cooking on the gate, etc. Prepping for an upcoming trip west next month.
IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

Installed a Blue sea systems OLED voltage meter in a clean location and wired in a switch to override the interior lights turning on when the liftgate is open - this is huge for sleeping with the liftgate open or generally having the gate open for long periods while fishing, at camp, cooking on the gate, etc. Prepping for an upcoming trip west next month.
View attachment 3070979
View attachment 3070980
View attachment 3070982

What does the volt meter hook to? Is that just piggy backed off the 12V DC Cig Lighter?

What does the volt meter hook to? Is that just piggy backed off the 12V DC Cig Lighter?
There was previously a 12v socket where I installed it, so I just plugged it in there directly. Checking with a multimeter, it reads about .2V lower than at the battery terminals where it's installed in the cabin.

I figured it would be a good indicator of how my original 276k mile alternator is doing, with the added benefit of being able to monitor battery voltage at camp, with accessories running, etc.

Ordered new brake pads and was going to replace them but discovered I still had 50-60% left on my current pads. It was hard to tell how worn they were without removing the wheels and doing a through the spoke test so I panicked and ordered a full set of Akebonos for $100. Oh well, I ended up greasing the DS's and my ball joints in prep for my week long trip next week.

The War Wagon got its final bit of planned service—transmission flush and ASFIR skid plates.

I did the drain-and-fill routine four times. Fluid started out dark brown but not burnt smelling. Fluid got redder and redder each time. New fluid came out bright red out of the check valve as I adjusted the level.

Took me damn near 1 year to put the skids on. I was too impatient to wait for Dissent aluminum and ordered ASFIR. Then they sat in my garage for 18 months. 😤

View attachment 3068259

I thought cupholders in the corners of my Huracan storage lid would be a good use of space. Put everything back together and immediately realized that I forgot to reattach one of the tailgate release cables :bang: The drawers must be removed first in order unbolt the drawer frame so I really thought I was screwed. Then I realized that if I got the wing panel out of the way (two Phillips screws) I could then pull the cupholder out, reach in and manually turn the release lever. POP! We're back open!
tempImagecrEiDp.png

Ever since I bolted my drawers down I've been concerned about what to do in case a tailgate cable/sheath breaks. With my tailgate stuck closed I am dead in the water. The cupholders also serve as absolutely essential access holes, I can't recommend this mod enough!

Last edited:
Replaced the ignition cylinder shaft as preventative maintenance on my '99 UZJ100 with 332,000 miles. The most time consuming part was getting the original (unbroken) shaft out of the ignition barrel.

The replacement ignition shaft (current production OEM) has subtle differences from the original part.

View attachment 3069271View attachment 3069272View attachment 3069273
What’s the part number for the shaft? I was told to buy the whole assembly.

here we go, this oughta be enough to flush it out twice. Btw the next cushions that Toyota give you, it’s impossible to thread the nut on the shock. You gotta compress it with a vice beforehand and let it sit to squish down a bit, then I used a socket to push the shock up enough to flatten some more to get the top nut on. They don’t give you enough threads the oem shock 😡

79E43D31-4A14-44E4-ABBB-F4DEA97531C4.jpeg

DE8D4B4E-960C-4546-AD59-70F6ABC1EA7E.jpeg

I didn't like the idea of $400 for extended sway bar links. so bought some $40 rockauto items and cut and welded some wheel studs in (1" in front, 1.5" in back according to my napkin geometry estimations).

Only installed the front ones so far (as the rear top nuts are sunk into the washers so going to be a PITA to remove), but the difference in ride quality and handling is night and day on my 2.5 slee OME / nitrocharger lift.
Honestly, those lift kits should come with sway bay drop link extensions as part of the lift kit. I've always thought it rode like crap, and had a horrible habit of lifting the front inside wheel over fast road undulations that I blamed on the nitros being over damped on the return stroke, but these extended links have transformed it and it rides like a different vehicle. Even though it looked like nothing, that incorrect angle on the sway must have caused quite a lot of stiffening/binding of the front independent arms.

Highly recommended.

IMG_20220723_154805.jpg

Might have made a mistake 😳. … had the truck for a year and 5k miles already and have really enjoyed that throaty V8 roar on start up. Much like a slow boiled frog, hadn’t really noticed that the roar was getting loader and throatier of late until the muffler’s cover plate started dragging and revealed the muffler’s true state … mainly rust being held together by more rust. 3 days later a rather well made replacement arrived, slightly more expensive than the cheapest that Amazon offered up, but not OEM league either.

Tried many tools to get off the original … Dremel, oscillating cutter, sawzall but the one that worked the best was a small angle grinder with a metal cutoff blade … cutting heated the bolt as well, which facilitated a fairly easy process to knock out the cutoff bolt with a hammer and punch. Reuse the vibration absorption thingy and install … half a banana job

9856D985-30C7-494A-B5E8-ECBAE4A13D84.jpeg

3B974BAB-1274-42C1-8238-9F64098DDB4C.jpeg

236CE9EC-0331-4015-90E6-EC5CB933AD57.jpeg

… problem now is it sounds like the flapping wings of a bloody hummingbird… gone is the manly V8 roar … AND … I can hear the noise of the hullivator, tires, power steering pump, brake pump, diff and a thousand other things to start worrying about 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom