Yoshi the HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey if you need a place to crash I’m only a few miles off 90 in MN.

Thanks, I appreciate that! Would be fun to see your truck. Not sure what my plans will be yet but I'll keep that in mind

I don't know how I missed that you're local to me.

Enjoy the drive

Welcome from another Washington hdj81
I don't think you did! 😉 Do you go to the monthly Seattle Cruiserhead meetups?

Thanks, I appreciate that! Would be fun to see your truck. Not sure what my plans will be yet but I'll keep that in mind

I don't think you did! 😉 Do you go to the monthly Seattle Cruiserhead meetups?

Not usually. They're at 6. And usually an hour or two from my house. I work nights and am not up early enough to make it. Plus the thought of fighting Seattle traffic is unappealing.

I attend most of the north sound cruiser meets

So I got four of the six items done on my list before I leave tomorrow morning! Enough to do the trip, then I'll have more to do when I get back.

I "jailbroke" my JDM cruise control ECU (lifting the 112 km/h limiter) by soldering in a resistor into the right place. More details: HDJ81 Cruise control top speed - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hdj81-cruise-control-top-speed.104835/page-2#post-14549063

I fixed the AC by replacing the compressor, dryer, and expansion valve. Expansion valve - just ordered Denso 4752005 from Rockauto. Dryer I ordered from Toyota, PN 88471-50020. The compressor was trickier, I talked about it in this post, had to order some things and it wasn't cheap 1HD-FT A/C Compressor needed - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hd-ft-a-c-compressor-needed.733952/#post-14552313. I also replaced all of the O-rings that I had touched with a USDM kit from O'Reilly's, and sealed with Nylog Blue. Just had it recharged yesterday and I now have cold AC. 😁

I bolted in the USDM trans cooler and ran new trans fluid lines from the hardlines that exit below the crankshaft. Got most of the old fluid out. Seems to be working great, without gauges it's impossible to do a before/after though.

Coolant hoses deserve another post. I'm pretty skeptical of those Chinese silicone hose kits, at least on 1HD-FTs, but I'm going to try them for this roadtrip if only because I'm out of time. I'm most worried about these in my roadtrip - that a clamp gets loose or that a hose gets cut somehow. Might try replacing some of them after the first half of my roadtrip is done.

I ran out of time to install the Auber gauges or build the sleeping platform. I might build the sleeping platform in time for my trip back. Hopefully I won't need the Auber gauges - I'm completely stock turbo/intercooler/airbox wise, and now I have the USDM trans cooler, and I have no plans to challenge the truck on this trip.

I also replaced my main drive belts and AC belt. Following up on the below from the last thread...

90916-02452
99332-61275
I don't know how I found these since this was last week and I didn't take notes, but... I picked up 99332-11260 (-78) for my AC belt, and Conti 17395 for my main drive belt (at a very cheap price). So maybe I'll be ordering new belts again. I see the 99332-11260 appears to be for '90-94 HDJ81s.
-11260 won't work on the -FT.

Conti 17395 didn't work, it was too wide of a belt. I suspect Gates 7395 may work in a pinch since it has roughly the right length and width, and I laid eyes on one, but haven't tried it.

I canceled my order for 99332-11260 and didn't even try it; ended up ordering 99332-61275 as @OGBeno said, as well as 90916-02452. The latter comes as a kit of 2 belts, you don't need to order quantity 2. They went on great.

Last edited:
Road trip update... trip is going well. I've clocked 4000 miles since I left between the main drive to Ontario, detours along the way, and then lots of errands and small trips throughout the last month. Yoshi hasn't missed a beat.

I'm falling in love with this truck - how comfortable it is, the character of the diesel, the fuel efficiency. The differences between the 80 series and 60 series platforms for long term comfort are night and day... I now find it hard to believe I was going to do this trip in my FJ60 😂

Did a Costco 15W-40 oil and OEM oil filter change in my parents' driveway this afternoon, and tomorrow morning I'm back on my way to Seattle! Goal is to high-tail it and get there in five days, with stops by Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula, Minnesota, and North Dakota.

Some phone pictures from the last month in South Dakota:

IMG_3673.jpeg

IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3682.jpeg

Into the Chicago Loop:

IMG_3805.jpeg

And backwoods Ontario with the most rustic fuel pump I've ever used:

IMG_4125.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

And now I'm back in Seattle! Ended up doing the drive as a sprint back from Michigan in four days, passing through the Upper Peninsula and camping in Copper Harbor along the way. The truck had no drama and no fuss*. In total I racked up over 6500 miles and averaged 21 mpg, stock on my 33s. Eat your heart out, gassers 😉

* with one small exception... on I-90 going through either Homestake Pass at 6000ft or Bozeman Pass at 5000 ft and 90+ F outside... the truck felt like it was a bit down on power. Instead of holding 75mph up the grade, it was more like 65mph. I would think with turbo engines that's not that surprising; the high altitude and temp means feeding air into the engine is more difficult. Something I'm sure an intercooler would sort out nicely.

Enjoy some more photos from the return trip! Next up is some routine maintenance... then on to more local PNW adventures and potentially some upgrades 😁

IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4261.jpeg
IMG_4206 2.jpeg
IMG_4208 2.jpeg

Last edited:
And now I'm back in Seattle! Ended up doing the drive as a sprint back from Michigan in four days, passing through the Upper Peninsula and camping in Copper Harbor along the way. The truck had no drama and no fuss*. In total I racked up over 6500 miles and averaged 21 mpg, stock on my 33s. Eat your heart out, gassers 😉

* with one small exception... on I-90 going through either Homestake Pass at 6000ft or Bozeman Pass at 5000 ft and 90+ F outside... the truck felt like it was a bit down on power. Instead of holding 75mph up the grade, it was more like 65mph. I would think with turbo engines that's not that surprising; the high altitude and temp means feeding air into the engine is more difficult. Something I'm sure an intercooler would sort out nicely.

Enjoy some more photos from the return trip! Next up is some routine maintenance... then on to more local PNW adventures and potentially some upgrades 😁

View attachment 3106863 View attachment 3106866 View attachment 3106864 View attachment 3106862

The air density was the cause more than the heat. There's really nothing you can do about it.

The air density was the cause more than the heat. There's really nothing you can do about it.
So then an intercooler would not help that much, would it? Since it’s more for heat exchanging then for condensing air? (although I’m sure taking some heat out helps a bit).
That, and making sure it's clean! Take advantage of the OEM washable filter and shake it out in some river water!
Ooh yes I will do this! I’m curious to see how dirty it is after racking up 7k miles on it.

So then an intercooler would not help that much, would it? Since it’s more for heat exchanging then for condensing air? (although I’m sure taking some heat out helps a bit).

Ooh yes I will do this! I’m curious to see how dirty it is after racking up 7k miles on it.

An intercooler on a diesel really keeps egt's down and allows you to push harder. There's a benefit. But at elevation the only thing you can do is make more power.

Wow, it has literally been a year (minus a day) since I last posted in here. Time flies! Been very busy with personal life items going on (career/professional, family, relationships, house move among others).

On the Yoshi front - no big things have happened with Yoshi other then that they've settled into being my daily! In the last year have put on 8k miles/13k km while keeping up with maintenance (oil changes) but not doing any more work then that. I don't think I've left Washington with Yoshi in the past year, but have done multiple trips to local national parks (all three of Olympics, North Cascades, Mt Rainier) and a lot of the work commute which sometimes had some dirt.

As things have been calming down lately, hoping to get back into it. I still have a ton of parts sitting around from last summer just collecting dust.

Yoshi did tick over 250k km yesterday near Forks! To celebrate, hauled a bunch of buddies from out-of-town all over the Olympic Peninsula. Second picture is of the Hurricane Ridge wildfire... nasty stuff.

IMG_8456.jpeg

IMG_8464.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

Road trip update... trip is going well. I've clocked 4000 miles since I left between the main drive to Ontario, detours along the way, and then lots of errands and small trips throughout the last month. Yoshi hasn't missed a beat.

I'm falling in love with this truck - how comfortable it is, the character of the diesel, the fuel efficiency. The differences between the 80 series and 60 series platforms for long term comfort are night and day... I now find it hard to believe I was going to do this trip in my FJ60 😂

Did a Costco 15W-40 oil and OEM oil filter change in my parents' driveway this afternoon, and tomorrow morning I'm back on my way to Seattle! Goal is to high-tail it and get there in five days, with stops by Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula, Minnesota, and North Dakota.

Some phone pictures from the last month in South Dakota:

View attachment 3100636

View attachment 3100635

View attachment 3100631

Into the Chicago Loop:

View attachment 3100634

And backwoods Ontario with the most rustic fuel pump I've ever used:

View attachment 3100632

View attachment 3100633
That's not near Atikokan is it? It looks like a gas stop I attempted with only fumes in my tank and they hadn't received there summer delivery of fuel....

I wonder why yours says cruise and mine says a/d

No idea, but i like the idea of "Auto Drive" from What does "A/D" mean? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-does-a-d-mean.402948/

That's not near Atikokan is it? It looks like a gas stop I attempted with only fumes in my tank and they hadn't received there summer delivery of fuel....

No, just near Algonquin. I've never been that far north or west in Ontario. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what lots of pumps look like though outside of southeastern Ontario.

Glad I saw this thread even though I missed it a year back. I've got a sibling HDJ81 "Xena" that is also running great. Great to hear of another out and about.
Greg
xena1.jpg

Last edited:
Glad I saw this thread even though I missed it a year back. I've got a sibling HDJ81 "Xena" that is also running great. Great to hear of another out and about.
Greg
View attachment 3421901

Your truck looks great too! Looks like you've got it nicely built out - I'll get there one day 😁

So Yoshi has had brakes that are a bit soft ever since I got it off the boat last June. They are stiff when the engine's off, but when the engine's on, they're soft, and will slowly slip down near the floor with enough pressure. Rather annoying, but have just been driving carefully and told myself I'd sort it out once I had time.

I finally got around to tackling them, but still haven't solved it yet. Started by bleeding the brakes at all sides (no idea how old the brake fluid was anyway)... which led to me mostly rounding the head off one of the front brake bleeder screws. Managed to get it off, looked up the part number (47547-20030), saw it was shared with lots of USDM Toyotas, went to NAPA to pick up a part from them, and.... ended up getting the rear bleeder part, which I didn't realize until after I installed it in the caliper and it was too short to easily access, almost rounded it again.
The blake bleeder screw is really close to the two nearest bolts on the front - if you have a shorter screw (like the one for the rear) you can't access it! Beware! See below with the NAPA 22070 rear brake bleeder screw installed.

IMG_8665.jpeg

Showing the length difference below - on the left is NAPA 22069, in the middle and right were the front brake bleeder screws off Yoshi. NAPA 23927 is the right length, but isn't fully threaded the way the Toyota ones are - it has some unthreaded shaft which is fine.

IMG_8668.jpeg

Bleeding the brakes didn't change anything, and based on the symptoms I originally suspected the brake booster, but it's not hard to push the pedal... so then I suspected the master cylinder. So I blocked off the master cylinder with some Dorman M1-1.00m plugs off Amazon to isolate the pedal to actuating the master cylinder to try and replicate the behavior and... the brake pedal was nice and stiff, even with the engine running!

069E9884-A7B7-462A-9327-9BD79AF2E1FFIMG_2376.jpg

Next up I think is to do more reading, look at the ABS and LPSV, then try blocking off parts of the system and isolate what's wrong with this hydraulic system under the higher pressure of the engine running + brake booster.

Been a busy couple of months again, but I did work on the brakes some more. I tried triggering the ABS actuators multiple times and then bleeding, to try and address the possible 80-series apocryphal bubbles that form in the actuator. That make no difference, so then this weekend I bypassed the ABS actuators and that made a marginal improvement. I think my next steps are just working systematically through the braking system - replacing the LPSV and then maybe overhauling each corner.

I haven't seen a writeup on bypassing the ABS on a RHD vehicle. I could not find right-angle fittings or Tee fittings in M10-1.00mm bubble flare (stock 80-series), so I bought a right-angle fitting from an axle from the local dealership (PN 47392-60020) and the tee below the master cylinder used from SOR (PN 90413-10058). They come with brackets, so angle grinded the brackets off; then unbolted the lines from the ABS actuators; plugged the ABS actuators' ports (would love to hook it back up someday); then carefully bent the lines and installed the fittings. Need to still clean it up (adding some padding for the fittings against the actuators at a minimum).

Those original fittings

IMG_9115.jpeg

My first ever at-home metalworking

IMG_9119.jpeg

The tees aren't pretty, but they work

IMG_9152.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom