HJ60 2H engine swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks, I have a 1987 HJ60 and I love It. The 2H engine runs well. But, two things have arisen. One, it leaks oil so much and all mechanics in my area say there is not much I can do about it. The driveway and garage staining has become too much. As well, I really want something that has some pickup because I do a lot of in town driving and it lags too much leaving a stop. What are my options? Is there a known shop that will swap out the engine for a diesel with some more force? I am happy to have the truck shipped to a location within the 48 states. God forbid, is there a swap out to a gasoline option? I am willing to entertain even the more expensive options as I want this to be my regular, daily ride for many years to come. Thanks!

Well.. this just makes little baby Jesus sad.

Where are the oil leaks, maybe they are easily addressed such as rocker cover gasket, sump plug fibre washer, output seals on transfer? Add a turbo (if you really must) and maybe the performance would be adequate?

Well.. this just makes little baby Jesus sad.

Where are the oil leaks, maybe they are easily addressed such as rocker cover gasket, sump plug fibre washer, output seals on transfer? Add a turbo (if you really must) and maybe the performance would be adequate?
The mechanic in my area who has worked on it said he won’t take the engine apart because he said it will cause more problems. I am willing to send it out of state to have it addressed, though.

Have you done a thorough degrease and then had a look for fresh oil? The oil leaks arent a good reason to pull apart the engine.. its generally going to be rocker cover gasket, side cover gaskets, front main, rear main, sump plug fibre washer, alternator vacuum pump lines, or centrifuge O-Rings if a centrifuge is fitted - none of which require the engine to come apart. On rarer occasions it might be the timing cover which is a more significant repair.

Dont ignore the baseline maintenance activities, some of this can contribute to a bit more power including:
  • Spill timing bang on
  • Valve clearances spot on
  • Air filter clean
  • Tyre pressures high
  • Injector spray patterns nice
Anyhow - just saying it might be a series of easy fixes and the addition of a turbo (if really needed).

Have you done a thorough degrease and then had a look for fresh oil? The oil leaks arent a good reason to pull apart the engine.. its generally going to be rocker cover gasket, side cover gaskets, front main, rear main, sump plug fibre washer, alternator vacuum pump lines, or centrifuge O-Rings if a centrifuge is fitted - none of which require the engine to come apart. On rarer occasions it might be the timing cover which is a more significant repair.

Dont ignore the baseline maintenance activities, some of this can contribute to a bit more power including:
  • Spill timing bang on
  • Valve clearances spot on
  • Air filter clean
  • Tyre pressures high
  • Injector spray patterns nice
Anyhow - just saying it might be a series of easy fixes and the addition of a turbo (if really needed).
Thank you. This helps.

I am no expert but there is some snake oil goop made by lubri moly which is meant to soften and rejuvenate internal engine rubber seals. It has quite a few good ratings and reviews. I am giving it a go as I was suspecting my valve seals were hardening. I don't have any leaks on my 2h, just a strange smell every now and again.

As far as indy mechanics and oil leaks, they prefer to do quick earner jobs, pay rent, overheads, wages, not so easy. Finding and repairing leaks takes a lot of time with usually no performance difference, so he is thinking it is not worth it. Cheaper and quicker to top it up with oil, lay some old cardboard under your car at night time.

You can really clean your engine, add some uv dye to your oil. Drive during the day and get a uv torch to find the leak/s at night time.

The 2h is like a sophisticated robust 1980's tractor engine. It shall simply not keep up with modern town traffic. You could put smaller wheels so they turn quicker and the turbo if you want.

Personally, I don't mind slowing the world a bit, my tow bar ball would javelin the impatient fast car's plastic radiators without leaving a scratch on me..
Overall, what a 2h can do and where it can go for many, many years, it is worth to me to be slow.

I am no expert but there is some snake oil goop made by lubri moly which is meant to soften and rejuvenate internal engine rubber seals. It has quite a few good ratings and reviews. I am giving it a go as I was suspecting my valve seals were hardening. I don't have any leaks on my 2h, just a strange smell every now and again.

As far as indy mechanics and oil leaks, they prefer to do quick earner jobs, pay rent, overheads, wages, not so easy. Finding and repairing leaks takes a lot of time with usually no performance difference, so he is thinking it is not worth it. Cheaper and quicker to top it up with oil, lay some old cardboard under your car at night time.

You can really clean your engine, add some uv dye to your oil. Drive during the day and get a uv torch to find the leak/s at night time.

The 2h is like a sophisticated robust 1980's tractor engine. It shall simply not keep up with modern town traffic. You could put smaller wheels so they turn quicker and the turbo if you want.

Personally, I don't mind slowing the world a bit, my tow bar ball would javelin the impatient fast car's plastic radiators without leaving a scratch on me..
Overall, what a 2h can do and where it can go for many, many years, it is worth to me to be slow.
The lubri moly engine seal snake oil goop didn't do much for my 2h after 2000km, but I also put into my wife's 94 mazda astina which had a ridiculous amount of engine leakage. Now, the mazda leaks engine oil dramatically less. It has done over 400k km, not bad for a neglected petrol city run about.
The attempt to address valve seals on the 2h without replacing them is a long shot with engine seal , as not very much oil gets up to the top end compared to lower engine leaks, I reckon. So there ya go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom