Builds HZJ75 Troopy - campin' roadtrippin' wheelin' build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm, tempting. I have postponed my cross country drive. Tgis will give me some more time for the tire/rim decision.

Do you remember any details for the overseas 17s? Which market or years they were used?

42611-60B71 is the part number.

0527F2C2-978A-4CD4-8644-5791345EF444.jpeg

Here's where I'm at on options for rims. I'm still pondering. I have until ~Aug 25 to get new tires on this rig before I set off on long cross-country drive.

RimsProsCons
Current 16" Rims from my 60
  • Already in my possession
  • Easily accommodate wider tires (don't have the specs but mine are > 6" wide)
  • Not OEM
  • Requires a small spacer up front to clear the brakes
Modified 16" rims from my 60
  • Easily accommodate wider tires
  • Correct backspace
  • Cheaper than new OEM rims
  • Not OEM
  • Stockton Wheel would modify my rims to 3.5" backspace but it would likely take more than a month to turn them around.
OEM 70 Series 16" rims
  • Easily available in the US
  • OEM
  • Correct backspace
  • $$, though not too expensive from Toyota in the US
  • Only 6" wide. Even the 255/85/16s I've looked at technically call for 6.5" rims minimum even though many folks run them on OEM rims.
OEM FJ Cruiser/4Runner 17" rims
  • OEM
  • Cheap ($75 on ebay)
  • 17" rims offer more tire options
  • Requires spacers
  • Aluminum alloy?
Late model OEM 70 Series 17" rims from Europe
  • OEM
  • Not available in US, $$ to import

Last edited:
I got these in a 16x8 on my 45 with 60 axles, no spacers or maybe a 1/4" spacer.

4.0" backspace

Test fit them on my 75 and could run them with no spacers, but have 35's on the 16x8s and would rub the fenders with no lift.

20200623_212010.jpg

20200623_212052.jpg

Here's where I'm at on options for rims. I'm still pondering. I have until ~Aug 25 to get new tires on this rig before I set off on long cross-country drive.

RimsProsCons
Current 16" Rims from my 60
  • Already in my possession
  • Easily accommodate wider tires (don't have the specs but mine are > 6" wide)
  • Not OEM
  • Requires a small spacer up front to clear the brakes
Modified 16" rims from my 60
  • Easily accommodate wider tires
  • Correct backspace
  • Not OEM
  • $$ and logistics to have modified (still need to get a quote)
OEM 70 Series 16" rims
  • OEM
  • Correct backspace
  • $$, though not too expensive from Toyota in the US
  • Only 6" wide. Even the 255/85/16s I've looked at technically call for 6.5" rims minimum even though many folks run them on OEM rims.
OEM FJ Cruiser/4Runner 17" rims
  • OEM
  • Cheap ($75 on ebay)
  • Requires spacers
  • Aluminum alloy?
Late model OEM 70 Series 17" rims from Europe
  • OEM
  • Not available in US, $$
Due to lack of perfect options.....I would stay with what I have.
If I'd pay what shipping cost today, I'd be sure the recieve the wheels of my dreams.....

Aren't the late model 17's 5 bolt?

So, I stumbled on 16x7 with the correct 3.5" bs, if I hadn't I woulda looked at 17" options for sure, and then if no options found woulda bit the bullet and got the factory 16x6 rims

That 1/2 " would bug me a WHOLE lot less than spacers.

They are/were popular wagon wheel steelies in Oz

Here's what mine look like
20220611_100011.jpg

I think the same you had on your rig when you bought it

Last edited:
I got these in a 16x8 on my 45 with 60 axles, no spacers or maybe a 1/4" spacer.

4.0" backspace

Test fit them on my 75 and could run them with no spacers, but have 35's on the 16x8s and would rub the fenders with no lift.

Is it this one? Wheel Vintiques 12-680604 Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-680604

That is interesting though - I didn't think it was possible to use a 4" bs w/o spacers. They mounted up but did the wheels spin freely? I don't know the backspace on my current 16s (American Racing brand as I recall), but they mounted up fine and I didn't realize I had an issue until I went to drive away. That's when I realized the calipers were being pressed against the rotors. Is it possible yours mounted up but wouldn't actually spin freely?

Thanks for doing the test. Much appreciated.

They are/were popular wagon wheel steelies in Oz

Here's what mine look like
View attachment 3069795

I think the same you had on your rig when you bought it
I had a Ranger 17x8 et25 (bs around 5.5") set ordered from CSA
They were not DOT approved (also not R124 approved). Ended up not using them for the project.
Another 16 inch set (I'm not sure of the width but should be 7) was used by a college and showed cracking under heavy loads (less than the 1500 kg they are said to be) very soon into testing and were also discarded.
I have attached below the only identification I had for this wheel. I would imagine this is Chinese made to CSA spec, hopefully they do not work with this specific manufacturer anymore.
IMG-20220727-WA0000.jpg

I would go with TOYOTA oem steelies If I had to choose something to take me to hell and back.
I am using them, highly overloaded, with much success so far.
This is my experience on that matter
Good luck

Yes, that's the wheel I'm running on my 45. I didn't drive the 75 with it, just test-fit and it looked like everything cleared. This was two years ago.

I wanna try skinnier 10" tires but i could see myself going back to 11" ones like i have now. Opinions seem to be split on whether that's a good idea on 6" rims. I am inclined to just run it and see how it goes.

I talked to Stockton Wheel and they can definitely modify my existing rims to get to the correct backspace, but it would take some time. I'm still pondering.

I also just got my rig back from @4x4labs with my new front bumper and sliders. It looks pretty rad. I have lots more to update but it may have to wait. Heads down trying to get stuff done and then a quick shakedown trip to Baja next week. I'll post pics when I get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom