Engine health review and check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the dreaded topic for me, I want to start digging deeper into engine health. In winter I am planning convey desert dunning so quite heavy taxing on car.

So I want to utilize the next couple of month to baseline the engine, check everything and ensure I do my best not to face a breakdown due to my lack of experience or because I did not do my homework!

The engine is a 1FZ-FE with 455,000 KM on it (282,723 miles)

So currently I'm planning the following steps:
  1. I need to do a compression test
  2. The current oil filter is a K&N permanent one, I don't like the idea of just cleaning so next fuel change I will add a normal filter to ensure any contaminants are cleaned and then I can refit the K&N.
  3. Oil gauge is shot (Or so I hope!!!) I need to replace that to ensure I can see proper oil pressure (its not a daily drive so keeping it to minimum)
    1. Would be great if there is any manual way to check that oil pressure is good.
  4. There is a wheezing sound coming in cold start I am not sure what that is:
    1. Mechanic A said you need to look at the crankshaft as there is probably in that with pistons
    2. Second one said that's low oil pressure when engine starts.
  5. I cleaned the IDC valve so engine start at 1200 and is now at around 800, goes up and down with reverse / forward and AC.
  6. I bought some injector cleaners which i will use with next refill.
  7. Endoscope should be available in August, so planning a good look at the cylinders from inside (and a good excuse to play around with it tbh we all love our new toys)
  8. Belts are relatively new and I have spares so I will do a change for those.
  9. Radiator seems ok but I am planning a couple of flushes and new fluid in .

So please feel free to add / change or give me guidance but I do want to learn what needs to be done and make sure I can follow a more organized repair schedule afterwards.

At that kind of miles do a compression test and leak down test, check oil pressure, pinpoint odd noises. If thats all good pull the motor, check the bearings, replace all seals and gaskets, rebuild the cylinder head. Or maybe just get a satellite phone, and leave as is and call for help if it dies in the middle of nowhere. Although a offroad recovery can be very expensive.

Last edited:
Well the dreaded topic for me, I want to start digging deeper into engine health. In winter I am planning convey desert dunning so quite heavy taxing on car.

So I want to utilize the next couple of month to baseline the engine, check everything and ensure I do my best not to face a breakdown due to my lack of experience or because I did not do my homework!

The engine is a 1FZ-FE with 455,000 KM on it (282,723 miles)

So currently I'm planning the following steps:
  1. I need to do a compression test
  2. The current oil filter is a K&N permanent one, I don't like the idea of just cleaning so next fuel change I will add a normal filter to ensure any contaminants are cleaned and then I can refit the K&N.
  3. Oil gauge is shot (Or so I hope!!!) I need to replace that to ensure I can see proper oil pressure (its not a daily drive so keeping it to minimum)
    1. Would be great if there is any manual way to check that oil pressure is good.
  4. There is a wheezing sound coming in cold start I am not sure what that is:
    1. Mechanic A said you need to look at the crankshaft as there is probably in that with pistons
    2. Second one said that's low oil pressure when engine starts.
  5. I cleaned the IDC valve so engine start at 1200 and is now at around 800, goes up and down with reverse / forward and AC.
  6. I bought some injector cleaners which i will use with next refill.
  7. Endoscope should be available in August, so planning a good look at the cylinders from inside (and a good excuse to play around with it tbh we all love our new toys)
  8. Belts are relatively new and I have spares so I will do a change for those.
  9. Radiator seems ok but I am planning a couple of flushes and new fluid in .

So please feel free to add / change or give me guidance but I do want to learn what needs to be done and make sure I can follow a more organized repair schedule afterwards.
I agree with replacing a "permanent" oil filter. I'm not sure what oil filter brands there are where you are, but avoid anything Wix or NAPA Gold (made by Wix) as that oil filter is a known issue for this engine.

Stick with Toyota brand if possible.

Use quality oil of a viscosity used in your region.

Make sure the cooling system is up to par.

You might also want to do a combustion gas test to make sure the head gasket is holding up.

If you're doing the kind of 'desert dunning' I've seen on youtube...

...you might have bought the wrong rig.
Now before I get the hate...lol
focus on oil - pressure and filtration, cooling, and mechanical sympathy.

For sure dump that K&N. Especially if you have a K&N air filter. They are death to VAFs.
Oh and carry lots of water; mostly potable but also for the rig.

And take pics :cheers:

Well its pretty much like a marriage, your stuck either get it working or wait till some thing better comes along :p

Did a full radiator flush today, changed back diff oil and changed Oil pressure gauge. Slowly but surely :)

So to cap on above advice:
  1. Tests:
    1. Compression
    2. Leak down test
    3. Infra red gun to check exhaust before and after pipes
    4. Combustion gas test
  2. Based on tests, engine review will be done.
    1. Check the bearings
    2. Replace all seals and gaskets
    3. Rebuild the cylinder head
  3. Ditch K&N filter, do an engine oil change and get a proper Toyota oil filter
  4. Oil gauge fixed, it does have a little low oil pressure.
  5. Injector cleaners with next trip and refuel.
  6. Radiator flush done and proper coolant added.
  7. Lots of love (but dont get caught)

You mentioned "milk" in the radiator in the other thread.

If that's really the case, that's totally NOT good. That indicates oil in the coolant, or possible head gasket fail or oil cooler fail.

Did the oil look milky as well?

The oil seems fine both color and texture, however I am doing an oil change with the new filter and I'm going to pay attention to that.

No overheating, oil color and texture is good reservoir tank is clean. I am not sure how long ago if at all the radiator was flushed but it's definitely been a long time.

I think engine rebuild is in order too many tell tale signs that need addressing

I attached a picture of the color.

20220723_162552.jpg

Last edited:
Well its pretty much like a marriage, your stuck either get it working or wait till some thing better comes along :p

Did a full radiator flush today, changed back diff oil and changed Oil pressure gauge. Slowly but surely :)

So to cap on above advice:
  1. Tests:
    1. Compression
    2. Leak down test
    3. Infra red gun to check exhaust before and after pipes
    4. Combustion gas test
  2. Based on tests, engine review will be done.
    1. Check the bearings
    2. Replace all seals and gaskets
    3. Rebuild the cylinder head
  3. Ditch K&N filter, do an engine oil change and get a proper Toyota oil filter
  4. Oil gauge fixed, it does have a little low oil pressure.
  5. Injector cleaners with next trip and refuel.
  6. Radiator flush done and proper coolant added.
  7. Lots of love (but dont get caught)
If you have the knowledge/contacts/resources to resolve all of those things, just go ahead and rebuild.
Eliminate the potential for issues.

This car is basically my gate way to learn, it's my first "truck" and my first experience in cars. I wanted a challenging rig so I pretty much have to rebuild and learn in thr process.

I did the same on my boat and she is running great now :)

So yes I will rebuild everything bit by bit

...yes I will rebuild everything bit by bit
Thought you had "a couple months" to get ready for this trip?
Was just thinking fast-forward.

OK, so mechanical sympathy moves to the top of the list over oil and cooling. lol

Thought you had "a couple months" to get ready for this trip?
Was just thinking fast-forward.

OK, so mechanical sympathy moves to the top of the list over oil and cooling. lol
LOL it is what it is ! I am aiming to have the baseining done by September but if it needs more time will prioritise that. I can always go in a friend's rig should mine not be ready.

Quick question, does any one have access to the service manual for the 1FZ-FE ?

The oil seems fine both color and texture, however I am doing an oil change with the new filter and I'm going to pay attention to that.

No overheating, oil color and texture is good reservoir tank is clean. I am not sure how long ago if at all the radiator was flushed but it's definitely been a long time.

I think engine rebuild is in order too many tell tale signs that need addressing

I attached a picture of the color.

View attachment 3067448
OK, wow.

I've NEVER seen coolant that color before. It's possible that it's water with "water wetter" in it (I've never seen water wetter, we cannot run straight water where I am)

That is NOT a failed cooling system "milk" color. I'm not sure what that is. So, flush the system with tap water or whatever you have, then do at least two or more final flushes with DISTILLED water, then drain and fill with coolant mixture that is used in your area.

Also, you need the 1993 or 1994 manual from the Resources directory above in order to coincide with the OBD1 of your engine.

I did get the OBD2 device and converter but i am still unable to read car data some more tinkering is required :D

Well i did the cleaning and replacing i did not do the distilled water step.

At the moment car has red fancy coolant in it, will keep an eye on it

Looking at all the sealant around the valve cover I am sure someone has been in there before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom