The infamous carb cooling fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not really related to Ace's request, but thought it might be useful to mention in yet another of these carb cooling fan threads what Jonathan Ward of TLC said as an aside in one of his Cruiser videos about this item. The point of it is to cool the manifolds on FJ60 2F engine as intake and exhaust are dissimilar metals. This is a major design flaw, in his view, and his shop sees a lot of leak issues come in as a result.
Problem was solved with FJ62 3FE engine so it's not really needed for this model.

Thanks everyone for your response!

Yes, I am certain there is no temp sensor - I just recently completed a full desmog, and also replaced my manifold gaskets at the same time while everything was off. I had that whole side of the engine disassembled. No temp sensor to be found. The mount on the EGR/PCV inlet tube was rusted off.. so there was nowhere to mount it. As far as I can tell, the PO neglected to remount it somewhere.

But.. I have not checked the m4 relays under the dash, thanks for that suggestion. Looks like according to this photo - maybe #6 could be the culprit... Cooling Fan relay.

Judging from the photos that you all provided of the manifold set up - the temp sensor looks like it had a plug coming off of it.. Is it possible I have the wrong wire grounded? All my research thus far on MUD has led me to believe the temp sensor wire was a shade of blue.

I am going to do some more digging. Yes, I agree that the fan won't help with rough idle - I am just trying to get an easier start when engine is hot during the summer months. On cold start, my truck will fire right up. I absolutely agree its a design flaw. I wonder if thermal wrapping would help with heat from exhaust manifold?? What do you all think?

What happens if you keep the carb cooling fan fuse off, so it never comes on?

Any repercussions in that?

Last edited:
On a FJ60 that fuse also feeds the interior lights, so...don't remove the fuse. If you don't want the fan , remove the fan relay or just unplug the fan from the wiring harness. Then...stay out of Death Valley in July.

On a FJ60 that fuse also feeds the interior lights, so...don't remove the fuse. If you don't want the fan , remove the fan relay or just unplug the fan from the wiring harness. Then...stay out of Death Valley in July.
Ok thanks !!

Not running the fan with the stock intake will eventually cause the intake to crack along the plenum on the inside. Best to use it.

Does anyone have a PN for the temp sensor?
I would like to see if I can order a new sensor along with a new connector since mine has been cut off

thanks

I would like to see if I can order a new sensor along with a new connector since mine has been cut off

thanks
That sensor was discontinued a decade or two ago. I never found a comparable replacement. I put a manual spring wound timer on mine in the cab and would set it when I turned off the engine

thanks
I may have one from when I deleted my carb fan (FJ62 so it was never needed and I'm not sure why Toyota kept it in place for the 62) years ago. I'll take a look this weekend and if I have it I'll test it. If it's good you can have it for the cost of the ride.

thanks
Read on a forum (since forgot where) that someone has used the following thermosensor off of Amazon. I bought one and was going to use it but lost it in the move and just setup a toggle switch on mine.

Spal 185-TS Temperature Switch Amazon product ASIN B018LQAEX2

Man, I can’t thank you guys enough - this forum has been incredibly helpful!

I wired up the sensor, replaced the fan assembly with a unit I got from @DrivingMissRosey and everything is working like it should!

I was a little skeptical at first because the shut-off time for the fan seemed longer than 20mins after the truck is turned off but I timed it and it was right at 18mins!

thank you all for your input and knowledge!

Man, I can’t thank you guys enough - this forum has been incredibly helpful!

I wired up the sensor, replaced the fan assembly with a unit I got from @DrivingMissRosey and everything is working like it should!

I was a little skeptical at first because the shut-off time for the fan seemed longer than 20mins after the truck is turned off but I timed it and it was right at 18mins!

thank you all for your input and knowledge!
Good to hear. Been out in my shop today and I haven't come across my old sensor while cleaning up the area it would most likely be.

Thanks to the posts here (especially the pictures), I was finally able to find my cooling fan temp sensor. However the wire is completely gone. Can someone share where the other end of the wire is connected?

Here are three progressively closer pictures of the sensor that might help others too.

4E062B73-60DE-4F5E-A71A-F97BF7E0EA67.jpeg
0E00BFAF-E26A-49E8-9808-D23B18192D78.jpeg
29B48A35-5158-4127-ADB5-1B9C107E5A89.jpeg

Thanks to the posts here (especially the pictures), I was finally able to find my cooling fan temp sensor. However the wire is completely gone. Can someone share where the other end of the wire is connected?

Here are three progressively closer pictures of the sensor that might help others too.

The wire should be visible from the top. Snoop around below your carb fan from there to the engine and sticking out of the wire harness near there will be a wire that's not connected to anything without a connector. That's going to be it.

The wire should be visible from the top. Snoop around below your carb fan from there to the engine and sticking out of the wire harness near there will be a wire that's not connected to anything without a connector. That's going to be it.

View attachment 3065485View attachment 3065486View attachment 3065487

- i kustom make the thermo sensor sub-harnesses to order ....

- there are more then a few connector and plug varations i have run into

- the 60 distance is longer to the fender chassis harness , due to the wider engine bay

- i would need a over all length in millimeters please

- and a klear photos of the said fender FEMALE connector plug usually there GREEN , but NOT all the time

- please PM me to discuss further

u absolutely need flame proof fabric wire loom or the pcv jacket of normal will will indeed melt off and could ignite in hot summer temps ..........

44645D63-E9A9-4DEB-B286-799AE7780705.jpeg
B208A967-ED7B-416E-A613-C07173505821.jpeg
BB812E11-E02F-4416-B627-661BABBD1154.jpeg

View attachment 3065485View attachment 3065486View attachment 3065487
Not sure it's original this way, but mine is bundled in the harness of wire leading to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carburetor. Mine broke near the harness, so the green connector tonthe sensor was hanging from the sensor.

20220722_182153.jpg

Not sure it's original this way, but mine is bundled in the harness of wire leading to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carburetor. Mine broke near the harness, so the green connector tonthe sensor was hanging from the sensor.

View attachment 3066294
I don’t think that’s the heat sensor relay. I do have that and it goes into the carburetor.

Can someone post up a picture of where the sensor wire goes onto the wiring harness? Mine looks like it never had one, even though I know it did.

E49A55D7-2314-45DB-AC16-4CBB7A142CB9.jpeg
78F5A594-73AE-47B5-AA6F-0D4066F67279.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom