97 Transfer Case into a 94 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been a good boy and used the search function. The thread I found (link at bottom) says that the t-case for a 97 is interchangeable for a 94. However, one poster notes that the main difference between the two is the CDL is electrically actuated on the 97 and mechanically actuated on the 94. (I think I'm reading that from the thread correctly). My 94 is triple locked (not sure that's relevant) and the CDL engages when I shift to 4L.

My question is this: are there any modifications to my 94 that would be necessary to install a 97 t-case? (Adding a CDL push button or harness? etc?)

Thank you, esteemed scholars.

I know what your saying and not sure if I'm going to answer your question correctly. I have a 95' and when I out it in 4 low, it does not lock the center. . . until I installed the switch. (My LC is not factory locked, and did not have lockers when I initially had this problem).

So I'm assuming once the switch is installed, it'll lock your center if putting it in 4 low doesn't.

transfer case for US model (Possibly Canadian also) 93-97 is all the same the harness might be a little different due to the different transmission but just reuse your harness you will be good. I've used 2005 transfercase in a 97 plugs were a little different but the sensors and actuators all switched over. the 1998-2007 are closer to the 91-92 due to not having the viscous coupler.

transfer case for US model (Possibly Canadian also) 93-97 is all the same the harness might be a little different due to the different transmission but just reuse your harness you will be good. I've used 2005 transfercase in a 97 plugs were a little different but the sensors and actuators all switched over. the 1998-2007 are closer to the 91-92 due to not having the viscous coupler.

Close. Some 93-94 vehicles also do not have viscous couplers. ABS was optional in those years. That being said, the vast majority of 93-94 vehicles do have ABS.

95-up transfer cases have a dampened counter-weight bolted to the case. I do not know the reason the counterweight was added, unless it has something to do with the change to the 343 transmission. I think that is the case since the only vehicle that uses the counter-weight is the US-Canadian market 95-97.

Last edited:
Close. Some 93-94 vehicles also do not have viscous couplers. ABS was optional in those years. That being said, the vast majority of 93-94 vehicles do have ABS.

95-up transfer cases have a dampened counter-weight bolted to the case. I do not know the reason the counterweight was added, unless it has something to do with the change to the 343 transmission. I think that is the case since the only vehicle that uses the counter-weight is the US-Canadian market 95-97.
3 follow on questions:

1. Still not clear- do I need to get a CDL switch to have CDL in 4L?
2. My 94 has ABS- any loss of function without the VC in the 97 t case?
3. Can the dampened counterweight be removed without damaging the t case so as not to interfere with the adjacent exhaust routing?

Thank you!

3 follow on questions:

1. Still not clear- do I need to get a CDL switch to have CDL in 4L?
2. My 94 has ABS- any loss of function without the VC in the 97 t case?
3. Can the dampened counterweight be removed without damaging the t case so as not to interfere with the adjacent exhaust routing?

Thank you!

1) 4 low lock is automatic in ABS equipped vehicles. ABS was optional in 93-94 and standard equipment in 95-97. If you want to manually control center differential locking you will need to add the switch (and alter the input to pin7 of the CDL controller, if you wish to retain the low range transmission shift-points. This also allows you to run in low unlocked).
2) The 97 case is equipped with a viscous coupler.
3) The counter-weight is externally bolted-on and can be removed.

are there any modifications to my 94 that would be necessary to install a 97 t-case?

No, but you'll have to cut the mounting ear for the counterweight off the '97 transfer case to fit it into your '94. Not just unbolt the counterweight, you have to cut off the tab.

Assuming you currently have an HF2AV with the viscous coupler, the function of the '97 is absolutely identical. Any locking issues you have after will be due to bad sensors and/or actuator on the transfer case.

In other words, your case will bolt up just fine and will be controlled the same with the electronics that are on your 94. The 94 body and associated electronics won't know the difference and it will still function the same.

I'm curious to know why you are switching your t-case?

The thread I found (link at bottom) says that the t-case for a 97 is interchangeable for a 94. However, one poster notes that the main difference between the two is the CDL is electrically actuated on the 97 and mechanically actuated on the 94.
All 80 Series in the USDM had the same electrically locking center differential from 1991-1997.
All 80 Series in the USDM automatically locked the center differential when shifted into low range in stock configuration from 1991-1997.
All 80 Series in the USDM used the HF2A or HF2AV transfer case from 1991-1997. The only difference between the 2 is the VC in the rear extension housing. They are all compatible, however, the HF2A requires a longer rear drive shaft due to the shorter rear extension housing. Mechanically, they are all the same.

Thank you all for the info and clarification. The reason I am swapping the case is that it’s currently making a rotational scraping noise, which can’t be good. I was able to isolate the noise to the case with the car on the lift and a mechanic’s stethoscope. The closest replacement I can find is off a 97. Definitely a lot cheaper than a rebuild kit. I’ll hang on to the noisy one I have in case that ever becomes untrue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom