Another New FZJ 80 (LX) Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys. Second day on this forum and I realize I have so much to learn and apparently spend! I reside in Colorado and anything Toyota and 4x4 is stupid expensive!

I bought a 1996 Lexus LX 450 for $5K out of Minnesota (not the smartest choice; however, it's not a rusted as some I've seen in Colorado!)

I've been looking for a vehicle for my son as he turns 16 at the end of August. I have a company Truck (2022 F250 4x4 PS) and my wife has a 2018 Tahoe LT. I cannot let him drive my company truck as I can only have one additional and it is the wife. I don't want him borrowing the Tahoe when he's of age as it's too nice for him to take out curbs, etc.... So...I made the irresponsible decision to part with all my extra money an get the aforementioned LX. I had a few criteria (goals) for this LX. 1) She needs to be safe. 2) She needs to be able to tow my boat (2002 Cobalt 220) and our Aluma utility trailer with my son's MX bike and my SxS. 3) I envision this being somewhat of a father and son project; however, I need to go through her from top to bottom before I present it to him on/before his birthday. So I'll leave the rust fixes and cosmetics for our bonding.

She's (not sure if that's the right pronoun in today's world?) got 255,XXX miles and by all accounts is 100% original, well, maybe not the exhaust as that looked "modified" other than that, she stock. My step father is driving it from where I bought to their home about 100 miles away and it's running fine, quiet, smooth, vague steering and warm A/C. I won't be able to pick her up until mid next week as I have to travel for work to Chicago for a few days, then camping over the 4th. I'll make the trek out with my trailer and bring her home next week.

I've read through some of the other new guys forums and all the recommendations are on point. This vehicle needs to be safe above all else (well, it needs to run, but then safe).

Day 1: power wash the entire under carriage and treat with some form of anti-rust (open to techniques and good products). Try and paint any heavier areas with something like VHT Rust Converter?
(really other than the inner front fender and the front of the hood, the only rust that I worry about is the front, passenger core support, it's 'bubbly'. I'm sure there's brackets and mounts that will need replacement (see day 2). Remove interior (carpeting, seats, etc) and steam clean.
Day 2: Take an assessment of brakes, joints, steering, transmission, engine, brakes, cooling electronics, interior, etc...and make a list of what needs what. Head to the internet or local parts store for all the goodies.
Day 3: Start changing fluids, hoses, belts, fuses, relays, electrical connections.
Day 4: Tackle the brakes, tie-rods, suspension components (bushings), replace front wheel bearings, races...clean and repack the birfields (or what ever that process is called)

Day 60: Present to my son as his b-day present.

These days are not in sequential like a calendar nor are they in stone and I'm sure some will slip and some will get done incidentally as I do some of the others. Any and all advise, cheering and/or chastising is welcome. I don't have an open checkbook like some. I'd like to be around $12-15K all in when it's dome

Anyway, here's some pics (she sure is a looker from afar, but as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder").

Thanks for Looking
Brett

00E0E_l1cdruuGv9Iz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00G0G_1eGG2kfLzQHz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_4o1W8b2qNSYz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_fds2zyGFCjz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_iKnlBo65QXLz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Hey welcome to the forum. I think what you’re doing for your boy is awesome and all my daddy issues are now resurfacing because of you. Thanks for nothing dad!

Anyway, I think you’re well within budget to baseline the hell out of this rig and basically replace every rubber engine part, overhaul brakes/new calipers, cooling system, A/C, etc. you mentioned the core support up front but is there anything structural that requires immediate address for the sake of safety? You should post more photos of the undercarriage and have the forum gurus assess.
Time for me to call my dad and bitch him out. :flipoff2:

@goingcamping welcome to the madness. The 80 series is a very capable vehicle. My experience with both my kids was to make sure the brakes work really well. The front bumper is tweaked but an aftermarket upgrade may be a choice you make. Baselining is a right of passage for these vehicles. Use search function on the site (or google referencing MUD). Looking forward to seeing your journey chronicled in your thread.

Well, here it is less than a week ago I picked her up in Minnesota. She's all there and unmolested...that's about where the positives end.

Under carriage is fairly rusty. While the frame and suspension attachment points all seem good enough, she's gonna need a lot of wire brushing, cleaner, neutralizer and coating. I went with KBS Coatings (or will when it get's here). I tore out the interior down to the factory sound matting. While the carpet was out, I vacuumed it, soaped it, and pressure washed it. Removed all the 1/2 (13mm) insulation off the carpet as a good portion came off when I pulled it out. Surprisingly, the only bad spot for rust was the driver's footwell. This will be a tougher spot to address, so until I have the time and it's at my house, I'll leave it be. Removed and cleaned all seats. disassembled the driver's seat as the gears on the outside fore/aft jack screw is stripped and I moved it all the way forward and could not return to a useable position.

Changed oil (I can only presume the previous person that did the oil change was a relative of Andre the Giant!) The oil filter was about 3/4's of a turn too tight. Took me an hour of handling (running back to my house to get my large mouth pliers). I ended up driving a screwdriver through it after moving the power steering reservoir out of the way.

Items I've accomplished:

1) Washed exterior
2) Cleaned interior fully and reconditioned what leather is left.
3) Ordered a new primary exhaust with cat (had to ship to folks in MN as CO falls under CA's emission standards and could not ship directly). Will have local shop finish all the way to tailpipe.
4) Needed new tires (while the ones on it are decent in the tread, they are cracked and about 6 years old). I ended up ordering Method NV 305 in Bronze with Yokahoma 285/75/17 Geolander X-AT with E-load rating.
5) Removed front bumper and mounts. Need advice on ordering new (plain jane, weld at home or go with Slee or ARB or similar?)
6) Removed side steps (only broke like 7 of the 12 mounting bolts). The front passenger and driver's rear bracket I had to just cut off as I could not get a socket nor wrench to stay on bolt heads given the closeness to the body mounts. I will bring my sawsall along nezxt time.
7) Scanned for the CEL (P0125). Led me to order new hoses, thermostat and temp sending unit. While reviewing the cooling system, the radiator is new as all the mounting clips and bolts are shiny, radiator plastic/fins look really new along with the hoses.

TBD...

Welcome good looking rig especially for a kid! That’s a solid rig for a kid learning And very easy to drive plus its one of the safest rigs on the road.

#5 your from bumper has value don’t throw it away. The corner pieces and inside mounting brackets are worth some money not a ton but there is value. Or post for free to mud members if you tossing it. I need the passenger side mounting brackets on the inside but your far from me.

Welcome good looking rig especially for a kid! That’s a solid rig for a kid learning And very easy to drive plus its one of the safest rigs on the road.

#5 your from bumper has value don’t throw it away. The corner pieces and inside mounting brackets are worth some money not a ton but there is value. Or post for free to mud members if you tossing it. I need the passenger side mounting brackets on the inside but your far from me.
I can dig the brackets out the trash. I'm doing all the work at my shop and have a community trash can. It was empty today. The bumper has a huge dent in the middle, it's in my scrap iron bin as I type. If I can get to the brackets. which do you need? The bumper mount or the frame extension? or both? When I retrieve, I can ship. Ground will be less than $10 as I use our company rates and reimburse.

I am horrible at taking pics as I go as I prefer to boogie and get as much done as possible. Spent a good portion of Friday, all day Saturday and 4 hours today.

She needs:

New seat gears (Forward/Reverse)
New Driver's window motor
Still need to free the transfer case shifter. It is frozen solid. Looking underneath the joint is thoroughly corroded together (nice way of saying rusted AF). I sprayed some penetration oil on it twice on saturday...we'll try again this week. I had the whole center console out, removed both shifter plates, sprayed the joint, tried freeing...nothing).
Need the brakes squared away. While the seem to function just fine, it has a quirky feeling I'm not used too. Not soft, but not confident either. It does stop.

Still need to replace valve cover gasket and spark bolt tubes, cap/rotor and possibly wires?

Couple of pics...

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

I am horrible at taking pics as I go as I prefer to boogie and get as much done as possible. Spent a good portion of Friday, all day Saturday and 4 hours today.

She needs:

New seat gears (Forward/Reverse)
New Driver's window motor
Still need to free the transfer case shifter. It is frozen solid. Looking underneath the joint is thoroughly corroded together (nice way of saying rusted AF). I sprayed some penetration oil on it twice on saturday...we'll try again this week. I had the whole center console out, removed both shifter plates, sprayed the joint, tried freeing...nothing).
Need the brakes squared away. While the seem to function just fine, it has a quirky feeling I'm not used too. Not soft, but not confident either. It does stop.

Still need to replace valve cover gasket and spark bolt tubes, cap/rotor and possibly wires?

Couple of pics...

View attachment 3055644

View attachment 3055645

View attachment 3055646
Also, while not pictures the only rust on the hatch and tailgate is around the lower part of the window, which is bubbled but still has the factory paint. Will also be addressed in the future. I'll let my son run off a few curbs before I start sinking real money into body panels and what not.

I also feel an OME 2" lift will be in our future. I cannot wait for him to turn 16 and get a job so he can buy this stuff....it's spendy.

Plus I have a dedicated off-road rig that I spend stupid money on...
IMG_4017.jpg

I can dig the brackets out the trash. I'm doing all the work at my shop and have a community trash can. It was empty today. The bumper has a huge dent in the middle, it's in my scrap iron bin as I type. If I can get to the brackets. which do you need? The bumper mount or the frame extension? or both? When I retrieve, I can ship. Ground will be less than $10 as I use our company rates and reimburse.
Any of the brackets would be helpful my front bumper is smashed on that side on a rig i just bought. Thanks!!! I’ll pm you

Hey Brett, this is Bret. Your rig looks good from the exterior. I have a '97 LX same color, bought last year. My driver's window didn't work, turned out to be the switch.
Lift kit for a teenage driver? I wouldn't do it. A friend of mine had her teenaged boy in a FZJ80. He managed to roll and destroy it at stock height.

Hey Brett, this is Bret. Your rig looks good from the exterior. I have a '97 LX same color, bought last year. My driver's window didn't work, turned out to be the switch.
Lift kit for a teenage driver? I wouldn't do it. A friend of mine had her teenaged boy in a FZJ80. He managed to roll and destroy it at stock height.
I thought the same. He's a pretty conservative kid...rides a motorcycle and has for years. We've ridden motorcycles side by side and I've ridden with him in front when I'm in my sxs. If there ever was a kid I trust driving a lifted rig it would be him...that being said, I'll take your advice under advisement. As I stated in my first post, I make bad decisions...often!

Went ARB, what a difference!!

A9619467-98D9-4814-B565-73E1DC58B4BD.jpeg

Me too. I also got the non winch version. Yours apparently didn't come with a roof rack, or perhaps someone removed it?
No factory roof rack. If my son wants one, we’ll look at options at that time. On the non-winch ARB, to me, a winch instills unearned confidence. First time driver, so I went this route as to not tempt me/us from making this a hardcore trail rig/over lander needing a winch. He has a badass KTM 250SX for his off-road buzz!

CAAB3B98-9F63-43D9-992D-67AC81F0BE16.jpeg

Nice bike! Are you looking to adopt a 50yr old stray? :)

Method Wheels NV305 in Bronze 17x8.5 O offset 4.25 BS with 285/70/17 Yokohama AtT-X E rating.

IMG_2789.jpg

Last edited:
also...

also...

Post them up in the tires and wheels classifieds. They should sell easily. They are my second favorite wheel for 80 series, next to the stock FZJ80's.
'

Weird question but could I get a pic of the roof? I’m trying to figure if one’s that didn’t come with the trash factory roof rack also didn’t have the plastic sliders on the roof too. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom