70 series Landcruiser Troopy expedition build - Frame off. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a really neat solution to cooking and heating, thanks for sharing it. Wallas makes great products, they are often used in the marine industry.
I checked pricing. It’s $4k. Probably can buy a Viking 6 burner stove to our kitchen for that price. Less then the price, I’m contemplating about the fact that it’s a built in stove and there are some things that I’m inclined not to cook inside the rig otherwise all will smell from food (fish seared after the sous vide, etc. ). One option is to keep a small multi fuel backpacking stove to cook outside. We currently have a stove that I built that uses 1lb propane bottles and I can refill them. That works well if not traveling outside North America. Decisions, decisions. 😀

I managed to ‘clean’ the frame from all the welds of the old brackets yesterday and hang the new OEM parts. I’ll sand blast them before welding and do some laser measurements on the 79 frame to locate these brackets properly. For now only tape holds them just for my satisfaction. 😀

I’m using our old 80 series steering wheel on this rig, so I’ll put new leather on it. We’ll see how my sowing goes…photo of the old leather that has our sweat since 1998. My self, my wife, four kids and all their friends drove our 80 series for 250000 miles.

B6DD4545-9609-48ED-8826-FF1DD951D3E2.jpeg
9647205F-1D44-4A0E-A31B-A2B204011196.jpeg
CECAE3E4-4727-4296-8AD3-51D8AB85EE66.jpeg
26BE18BD-8ED9-47DA-8067-EFC31788EC6B.jpeg
AB082967-AE02-4C55-9AB7-90CECC118CA5.jpeg

Last edited:
I checked pricing. It’s $4k. Probably can buy a Viking 6 burner stove to our kitchen for that price. Less then the price, I’m contemplating about the fact that it’s a built in stove and there are some things that I’m inclined not to cook inside the rig otherwise all will smell from food (fish seared after the sous vide, etc. ). One option is to keep a small multi fuel backpacking stove to cook outside. We currently have a stove that I built that uses 1lb propane bottles and I can refill them. That works well if not traveling outside North America. Decisions, decisions. 😀

Wow, that's a huge increase I was quoted 3600 CAN in December! The other alternative I was planning was a simple MSR that can work on diesel while other fuels too but my good is to have only one source of fuel on board.

MSR XGK-EX Multi-Fuel Mountaineering Expedition Stove

Wow, that's a huge increase I was quoted 3600 CAN in December! The other alternative I was planning was a simple MSR that can work on diesel while other fuels too but my good is to have only one source of fuel on board.

MSR XGK-EX Multi-Fuel Mountaineering Expedition Stove

The webasto is ‘only’ $1600. Heatso is a great company with great support. The nice thing about it is that I can countsink it and put a cutting board flush with the counter. They all do take 7 min to heat up.

The webasto is ‘only’ $1600. Heatso is a great company with great support. The nice thing about it is that I can countsink it and put a cutting board flush with the counter. They all do take 7 min to heat up.

The price seem pretty good compared to the wallas! In my build I was thinking of 2 heaters for warming the cabin for this reason the wallas Duo was appealing. With the heatso beeping way lower I could get 2 smaller wasbato! Thanks for sharing appreciate it

The price seem pretty good compared to the wallas! In my build I was thinking of 2 heaters for warming the cabin for this reason the wallas Duo was appealing. With the heatso beeping way lower I could get 2 smaller wasbato! Thanks for sharing appreciate it
We used a Espar hydronic heater in a sprinter van. We did not buy the kit, just the heater with it's accessories. Primary 3 gallon glycol circuit heated to 195F with the diesel heater. This went through 3 heat exchangers. One was a radiator with a fan to heat the cabin controlled by a thermostat (set to 71F), second was a liquid to liquid heat exchange with a thermostatic valve set to 90F (so you can walk barefoot). The secondary circuit was 1.5 gallons of glycol with a pump controlled by a second thermostat set to 75F. This circuit ran to four 3/8" copper pipes on the floor of the van and covered with a 1/8" 4'x12' 6061T6 aluminum sheet. The fan warm initially in 5 minutes and then the floor keeps it at 75F. The third heat exchange was for instant hot water. I'm thinking of doing the troopy similar without the heated floors. It works amazingly good.

The van spent mid winter supporting 3 guys for 10 weeks in all the ski resorts in California, Oregon, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. The heater would turn on at 2 PM. They would come in at 4PM to a toasty van, and be naked inside. There was 1 foot of snow on the roof.

IMG_4064.jpg
IMG_4110.JPG
IMG_4145.JPG
IMG_6347.jpg
IMG_4268.JPG

We used a Espar hydronic heater in a sprinter van. We did not buy the kit, just the heater with it's accessories. Primary 3 gallon glycol circuit heated to 195F with the diesel heater. This went through 3 heat exchangers. One was a radiator with a fan to heat the cabin controlled by a thermostat (set to 71F), second was a liquid to liquid heat exchange with a thermostatic valve set to 90F (so you can walk barefoot). The secondary circuit was 1.5 gallons of glycol with a pump controlled by a second thermostat set to 75F. This circuit ran to four 3/8" copper pipes on the floor of the van and covered with a 1/8" 4'x12' 6061T6 aluminum sheet. The fan warm initially in 5 minutes and then the floor keeps it at 75F. The third heat exchange was for instant hot water. I'm thinking of doing the troopy similar without the heated floors. It works amazingly good.

The van spent mid winter supporting 3 guys for 10 weeks in all the ski resorts in California, Oregon, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. The heater would turn on at 2 PM. They would come in at 4PM to a toasty van, and be naked inside. There was 1 foot of snow on the roof.

View attachment 3063483View attachment 3063484View attachment 3063485View attachment 3063487View attachment 3063486

This seems to be a reliable solution for heating + hot water that's cool! I need to learn more about glycol. I am with you on the floors would only to heating + hot water
I have purchased a small system for my temporary travel for the shower it's called Geyser
Hot Portable Camping Shower | The Geyser System - https://www.geysersystems.com/

This seems to be a reliable solution for heating + hot water that's cool! I need to learn more about glycol. I am with you on the floors would only to heating + hot water
I have purchased a small system for my temporary travel for the shower it's called Geyser
Hot Portable Camping Shower | The Geyser System - https://www.geysersystems.com/
I have read about it. Have you tried it? I read not so great reviews. I’m curious.

Got the calipers all cleaned up and powder coated. Rebuild them with new OEM kit.

F5149B6E-4789-4C59-B038-3D89E8058D24.jpeg
D671BE25-098F-4124-BCB2-8A42348D07D8.jpeg
83159C85-60CE-4F1F-9E58-7F50E19AE3AE.jpeg
DC629E33-1079-4541-AD18-7DBDF451FC7B.jpeg

MSR XGK is a good addition as a compact backup stove, especially outside North America. Burns many fuels well. A bit tricky to cook with, as it is basically an on/off torch.

I have read about it. Have you tried it? I read not so great reviews. I’m curious.

Got the calipers all cleaned up and powder coated. Rebuild them with new OEM kit.
Good job on the brakes fresh rebuilt is always satisfying:)

The Geyser kit haven’t been test my been inoperable since I don’t know when 🤦🏻‍♂️

MSR XGK is a good addition as a compact backup stove, especially outside North America. Burns many fuels well. A bit tricky to cook with, as it is basically an on/off torch.
I use the MSR Dragonfly. It’s really nice because it is a multi fuel but has great temperature control. We have a backpacking pressure cooker and make rice or bean soup at 12000’ in the sierras. Had it for 20 years. It never fails.

I also use MSR Dragonflies. Definitely easier to cook with on things like kayak trips. I have had problems with the Dragonflies clogging with some fuels on other continents. Probably a combination of the simmer mechanism and much dirtier fuels that you sometimes get travelling.

Got all the OEM brackets tack welded on the frame for the front coils. Measured it 50 times on the HDJ79 frame and one more to be sure to locate them. The HJ75 and HDJ79 frame rails are identical in shape, length and spacing. Only the brackets/gussets are different.

The drivetrain seems antsy to be mounted. I think it is prettier the Michelangelo's David statue. But that could be just me...

IMG_8643.JPG
IMG_8644.JPG
IMG_8645.JPG
IMG_8647.JPG
IMG_8646.JPG

Drove this weekend to the body shop in Flagstaff to pick up the bib and check the progress on the body parts. We also sent Kermit our 71' 40 series away to his and my daughter's home. We finished the 1HDT diesel conversion on Kermit and did some driving around town, but never drove 740 miles in one shot. We left at 7 PM and drove all night planning to cross the Mojave at the coolest time (81F) because it has no AC. Started at 55-60 mph and finished climbing to 7000' at 75mph. It did 26 mpg instead of 11 mpg with the 2F engine.
68067018386__8BA83519-A220-4C39-BC2C-E286123E4690.JPG
IMG_8703.JPG
IMG_8705.JPG
IMG_8702.JPG
IMG_8681.JPG

Waiting for the axle, so I can mount the engine back, and with the bib in hand start the front plumbing - Radiator, AC condenser, intercooler and part of the bumper. I got from Dave (japan4x4) a complete set of locks and keys, so I started working on the steering column. That said, my goal is to install the 80 series cruise control, so tried to figure out the real estate on the steering column. The CC switch has no room in the front, so i decided to locate it behind and a bit higher then key. The speedometer is mechanical, but i have a sender from a 91 80 series that has both mechanical and electrical. The servo is also from an early FJ80 (not FZJ80) so it has 2 cables coming off it.

IMG_8715.JPG
IMG_8716.JPG
IMG_8717.JPG
IMG_8718.JPG
IMG_8719.JPG

Last edited:
Figured I’ll start the dash. It came back from the paint shop with fresh powder coat. I finished the pad with gray leather same as the seats. It’s a humbling experience doing upholstery.
4ADAE2F2-D84D-4FEB-8212-E40F9B7C0E38.jpeg
3A2C97D8-3D17-4D3C-8929-15FA589B93B1.jpeg
CF356358-4214-44E7-9D89-D7271026A647.jpeg

I need to make a decision soon on this and did the math too: 2 items for 4700$

Espar / Eberspacher Hydronic D4E 12V Diesel RV Kit - 4.3KW- CS Version

Webasto Diesel Cooker X100 (With Installation kit)

I think is a better investment than going for the Wallas! Since you actually get a stove, heater, and hot water for the same price with Heatso

How do you get hot water with the Wallas? I thought it was a cooktop with a steel top cover to use as a heater.

The wallas is only a cooktop with a semi heater blowing hot air. That why I am saying with the heatso you're getting the hot water!, hot air + cooktop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom