Should I buy this 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of snagging this LC but wanted to know what people who might be more familiar with 80s think.
Listed for $4300
The engine has a misfire. Here is a video of it:
https://youtube.com/shorts/A3XzRpEyLeE?feature=share

What do you guys think? Good value or walk away?

289779528_5556665454352051_3789888112287110253_n.jpg
289913087_5556665511018712_7547231278270873352_n.jpg

293228802_5628483713836891_4809612593544143363_n.jpg
293717253_5628483817170214_4012280232497288712_n.jpg
293803620_5628483487170247_7461976851896190164_n.jpg

Price is tempting. Checks a lot of boxes
White
OME lift
Alloy bill bar
Delta panhard riser
4WD Side trim
Cloth

But have to wonder if that misfire is related to hackfest wiring mods. Hopefully front crossmember wires are for past lights. Is the that a horn button starter too? . Ctr console tore out??? WV explains the no carpet but how was it used creek rides and left wet? Looks like a shot spare but ~10k left on the duratracs

Might be a repaint. No rear wiper and post is painted white.

Still looks clean enough to revive but I’d plan on another 4300 to do it.

$1000 Stock interior carpet and underlay
$1000 wiring harness and random electro fixes
$1000 belts,fluids, plugs, wires, filters, misc
$1000 front main, timing cover, knuckles
It goes fast and that’s doing it yourself.

Looks like a recent ish buy and build and owner hit a snag with miss or just wants out for something else.

Price is tempting. Checks a lot of boxes
White
OME lift
Alloy bill bar
Delta panhard riser
4WD Side trim
Cloth

But have to wonder if that misfire is related to hackfest wiring mods. Hopefully front crossmember wires are for past lights. Is the that a horn button starter too? . Ctr console tore out??? WV explains the no carpet but how was it used creek rides and left wet? Looks like a shot spare but ~10k left on the duratracs

Might be a repaint. No rear wiper and post is painted white.

Still looks clean enough to revive but I’d plan on another 4300 to do it.

$1000 Stock interior carpet and underlay
$1000 wiring harness and random electro fixes
$1000 belts,fluids, plugs, wires, filters, misc
$1000 front main, timing cover, knuckles
It goes fast and that’s doing it yourself.

Looks like a recent ish buy and build and owner hit a snag with miss or just wants out for something else.
Thank you so much for the reply!!
The seller does say that the paint is a recent cheap Maaco touchup.
I also appreciate the cost breakdown of future work, and it does make sense that the misfire could be caused by improper DIY. I'll definitely take your input to heart, so thanks again.
I'm new to ih8mud and everyone seems so helpful I'm glad I came across it

What are you looking for, a collector rig? If so than runaway.

If your looking for a good project adventure and wheeling rig and if your good at diagnosing and working on stuff than it might be a good deal.

That being said I would show up with $3,500.00 cash and make a cash offer.

Thank you so much for the reply!!
The seller does say that the paint is a recent cheap Maaco touchup.
I also appreciate the cost breakdown of future work, and it does make sense that the misfire could be caused by improper DIY. I'll definitely take your input to heart, so thanks again.
I'm new to ih8mud and everyone seems so helpful I'm glad I came across it
Those prices may be on the high side but not too exaggerated and you’ll be wanting to address other things while in there. Plus you may fix one of those cheap with good diagnostics vs the parts cannon. (Stumble could be a burnt harness at EGR) But you still have the coolant system to overhaul possibly as well. Find out what maintenance they have done.

But more important is what’s your planned use of it? Woods beater or family fun rig/hauler ?

What are you looking for, a collector rig? If so than runaway.

If your looking for a good project adventure and wheeling rig and if your good at diagnosing and working on stuff than it might be a good deal.

That being said I would show up with $3,500.00 cash and make a cash offer.
Yessir I'm just looking for a reliable rig

Those prices may be on the high side but not too exaggerated and you’ll be wanting to address other things while in there. Plus you may fix one of those cheap with good diagnostics vs the parts cannon. (Stumble could be a burnt harness at EGR) But you still have the coolant system to overhaul possibly as well. Find out what maintenance they have done.

But more important is what’s your planned use of it? Woods beater or family fun rig/hauler ?
I don't drive much anymore so I'm just looking for a rig that I can get on the highway once or twice a month to go visit relatives, maybe a road trip once a year, and that I can also do some off-roading with on the local trails.

@agustinurioste So I used to live in your state, so I am experienced with working on vehicles there. If that is a WV rig, and I am pretty sure it is, then it will have been the winter driver for whoever had it which means it likely followed the snow plow a few times. That being said delta hasn't been making that panhard bracket for that many years and it has some rust on it. So what i am going to tell you, is that you need to get under there and get up and personal on that frame and look around. if it is a paved driveway, then take a harbor freight creeper a flashlight and a screwdriver.

Your missfire thing... that could be bad grounds (also very common where you are at) and it could also mean you have dead hole.

you are looking at an older vehicle that you need to assume needs all new (every hose) replaced including vacuum (cause those blue ones look wierd), fuel and all coolant/heater lines. You will need to see if the rear heater is still connected and if so LOOK very hard at those steel lines going down from the firewall over the bell housing of the transmission to under the passenger side front seat. if they are rusty, they will leave you stranded. if they are bypassed then you might be good. Not a show stopper people just block them off all the time and move on, but worth mentioning.

Not sure what is going on for the flooring but Had a vehicle in the middle of your state that had that, and it was a flint stone mobile as that coating holds moisture to the metal. so you need to bang on it with your fits and make sure it is still solid.

if after looking at it, you can attack the project. buy it and stop fretting over yes or no. its only money, and not everyone gets to enjoy the slow lane in a land cruiser. only the most fortunate.

@agustinurioste So I used to live in your state, so I am experienced with working on vehicles there. If that is a WV rig, and I am pretty sure it is, then it will have been the winter driver for whoever had it which means it likely followed the snow plow a few times. That being said delta hasn't been making that panhard bracket for that many years and it has some rust on it. So what i am going to tell you, is that you need to get under there and get up and personal on that frame and look around. if it is a paved driveway, then take a harbor freight creeper a flashlight and a screwdriver.

Your missfire thing... that could be bad grounds (also very common where you are at) and it could also mean you have dead hole.

you are looking at an older vehicle that you need to assume needs all new (every hose) replaced including vacuum (cause those blue ones look wierd), fuel and all coolant/heater lines. You will need to see if the rear heater is still connected and if so LOOK very hard at those steel lines going down from the firewall over the bell housing of the transmission to under the passenger side front seat. if they are rusty, they will leave you stranded. if they are bypassed then you might be good. Not a show stopper people just block them off all the time and move on, but worth mentioning.

Not sure what is going on for the flooring but Had a vehicle in the middle of your state that had that, and it was a flint stone mobile as that coating holds moisture to the metal. so you need to bang on it with your fits and make sure it is still solid.

if after looking at it, you can attack the project. buy it and stop fretting over yes or no. its only money, and not everyone gets to enjoy the slow lane in a land cruiser. only the most fortunate.
Great reply @clx16 , thanks for taking the time to write this up. last paragraph is absolutely right

Oh one last thing... when i lived there, most people were bigger in to mudding than just hitting the trails. for mudding you need Many HPs and that LC doesn't have any. But if you are just hitting county roads or the forest service roads, well it would be fine for that.

I'm taking a look at the 3rd gens on the side, so you make a good point. But there's something about 4th gen that doesn't appeal to me

Same here.....The exterior design of the 4th gen does leave a lot to be desired, especially when compared to the 3rd and 5th gen.

However, they are a strong truck for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom