LX570 auto wipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had problems with the automatic setting on the wipers not working after a windshield replacement? I bought my 2011 this past January and noticed that the windshield is not OEM, the rearview mirror has a little bit of wobble, and the wipers only work if set to on or you bump it for a single wipe.

Thanks!

Has anyone had problems with the automatic setting on the wipers not working after a windshield replacement? I bought my 2011 this past January and noticed that the windshield is not OEM, the rearview mirror has a little bit of wobble, and the wipers only work if set to on or you bump it for a single wipe.

Thanks!

Yes!

In my case the rain sensor wasn’t plugged all the way in. Was a really easy fix.

Or just unplug the rain sensor and you get good old intermittent wipers.

I can’t figure out where to pry the plastic cover from beneath the rear view mirror to do this….??

I can’t figure out where to pry the plastic cover from beneath the rear view mirror to do this….??

Screenshot_20220716-112803_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I have had the adhesive come loose and also had the metal frame that the sensor attaches to get bent. Straightening the frame fixed it once. Low probability but possible.
Go back to the windshield installer and have them right it.
Respectfully disagree on “good” but agree completely on “old”. My rain sensing wipers are a definite upgrade on the “old” technology intermittent wipers.

Last edited:
Great info - thanks, everyone!
@GordJ - I can't go back to the windshield installer because the previous owner had it done (in another state).
@NYC570 - thanks for the instructions! I will see about taking mine apart and troubleshooting. Good to know if nothing else, I can revert to the old fashioned intermittent wipers. They were fine on my old '06 4Runner. Even my 2016 IS350 doesn't have rain sensing - go figure.

So I pulled the release tabs on the passenger side of the rain sensor to release it and it dropped to the dash - there was NO tape installed. Nice job, whoever installed this windshield, SMH. I'll order the OEM tape and I bet that will fix it. Wiring was fine, so it's not that.

Last edited:
So I pulled the release tabs on the passenger side of the rain sensor to release it and it dropped to the dash - there was NO tape installed. Nice job, whoever installed this windshield, SMH. I'll order the OEM tape and I bet that will fix it. Wiring was fine, so it's not that.
Note that the OE tape is expensive and not very easy to install without bubbles.. so take your time and do some research.

Also if their work was that bad I wouldn’t assume the rest of it was done right. After a good storm pull your front door sill trim on each side to inspect for water in the front area near the wiring harness connectors. All kinds of gremlins can come from water in the area. I figure it’s low probability but still worth checking, and the trim is very easy to pull and reinstall without any tools.

I guess I'm lucky, I'm not on original windshield and my auto wipers work great.

Note that the OE tape is expensive and not very easy to install without bubbles.. so take your time and do some research.

Also if their work was that bad I wouldn’t assume the rest of it was done right. After a good storm pull your front door sill trim on each side to inspect for water in the front area near the wiring harness connectors. All kinds of gremlins can come from water in the area. I figure it’s low probability but still worth checking, and the trim is very easy to pull and reinstall without any tools.
Sounds like something good to check - thanks for the heads up.

I have the tape now, but haven't installed yet. Will definitely read up on installing without bubbles. Thanks for the advice!

Good thread. Mine were not working. If I push the sensor tight to the windshield (with covers off), they work fine. Sounds like I need to redo the tape or have it redone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom